AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/)
-   -   How to get a more comfortable ride? Settings? Wheels? Tires? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/how-get-more-comfortable-ride-settings-wheels-tires-2971051/)

rxbruner 04-23-2019 11:38 AM

How to get a more comfortable ride? Settings? Wheels? Tires?

I recently bought a 2016 Audi A6. It has the 20 inch wheels on it.

The ride is not quite "soft" enough for me and the road noise seems loud for a $60k+ car. I feel every slight bump in the road. Will it make a big difference changing to 18 inch wheels?
Where should I buy them? And what tires are recommended for the softest and quietest ride?

Verybumpy 04-23-2019 12:29 PM

Higher aspect ratio tires will definitely help give a softer ride. However, it will also negatively change the handling; less precise, slower to respond, less grip.
Tirerack.com is a common solid place of business which many have used.

DB22 04-23-2019 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by rxbruner (Post 25307085)
I recently bought a 2016 Audi A6. It has the 20 inch wheels on it.

The ride is not quite "soft" enough for me and the road noise seems loud for a $60k+ car. I feel every slight bump in the road. Will it make a big difference changing to 18 inch wheels?
Where should I buy them? And what tires are recommended for the softest and quietest ride?

If you are in the USA then 20’s will be harsh. If you have the sport suspension then you just compounded the problem. If, however, you are in Germany then you probably have adjustable suspension, did you try alternative settings?

lotusfla 04-23-2019 02:06 PM

check the tire pressure recommended in the owner's manual. i initially put the tire pressure recommended on the sticker on the door (for maximum load) and had a harsh ride. i looked in the manual and lowered the pressure since there were only 2 people in the car and no luggage. this softened the ride.

rxbruner 04-23-2019 05:57 PM

I'm in the US and I can change from comfort to dynamic but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Acuransx 04-23-2019 06:34 PM

Pretty sure our A6s here in the US are such that comfort/dynamic has no effect on suspension -- throttle mapping/transmission and steering only if I recall correctly. Not sure where you are/condition of your roads but I am in greater Detroit area -- the "motor city" my *ss. Worst roads of almost anywhere I have ever been. I run 19s w/sport suspension. Tolerable but barely. I drive like a drunk -- weaving around as many potholes and other road imperfections whenever possible.

One thing strikes me -- the C7 A6 suspension (especially the sport variant) is not very good. Wife has an /18 A4 with sport suspension which is much more composed and less harsh over our crap roads here.

Agree re: tire pressure as that does make a difference.

Best of luck.

Jeff

DB22 04-23-2019 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by rxbruner (Post 25307254)
I'm in the US and I can change from comfort to dynamic but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

comfort and dynamic doesn’t change the suspension on the USA A6, you have to go anywhere else but the USA.
Put your location under your logon name to enjoy real answers to relevant questions.

I now run 18’s with P7’s instead of my Pzeros on 20’s because I don’t like strapping on a kidney belt to use my $70 car. This obsession with big diameter instead of supple sidewalls will end soon when people realize the lunacy of it. Yes, handling is improved but at the cost of not wanting to drive what was a comfortable car. If the car had the variable suspension,like the ROW then 20’s maybe an alternate. USA roads are not built for comfort or speed, they are rotting and we are put to shame by other countries that know how transportation really works.

Wuplur 04-23-2019 10:38 PM

Some of the sportier Audi’s have been coming with a continental tire that is suppose to be quieter with a foam liner glued inside.

https://www.continental-tires.com/ca...gy/contisilent

bpd 04-24-2019 01:14 AM

The more you drive it, the less you notice it. Going to 18's will help, but not that much. Look into classifieds for stock 18's in C'list, Offerup, or forums. Much easier if items are local. Or buy new wheels/tires.

newmoon 04-24-2019 03:54 AM

I have Michelin Premier A/S tires on 18" wheels and non-sport suspension, pressures 32 psi front / 29 psi rear, and the ride is incredibly smooth and quiet. I often drive 180 miles each way on the highway between South Florida and Orlando and the tires make the drive very comfortable and relaxing.