Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Memory Seat

Old 08-13-2014, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Memory Seat

Hey guys,

On our cars if we have the memory seats and we set it, is there a way for it to move the seat back automatically when you turn off the car and lock it and then when you unlock the car the seat goes back to where you had it set to??
Old 08-14-2014, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

No, most cars in this class do but the A6 does not. The steering wheel moves out of the way for exit and comes back down to its previous position upon entry but the seats never move.
Not only that but when you press Memory 1 to recall your preset, it needs to be held until the presets reach their destination. That is another first for me because usually you can momentarily push the switch and the function will be completed. Some manufacturers allow for the preset to be implemented while in gear and others do not. I don't know if there is a consensus on preference but the Audi version seems to be the most primitive,

Last edited by DB22; 08-14-2014 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's an idea that may work for you.

I recently had to have a friend drive me to and from a doctors office in my A6. When he got in, he resposition the seat to his liking, and off we went. Arriving at the office we locked the car. We stopped along the way home for gas and I locked the car again. For the next few days, every time I got in the car, the seat was in his position. He never programmed in the seat memory, but I believe it became associated to the key. I would squeeze into the car, push my seat preference button, and drive. Each time I got back in the car, the seat was back in his position, even when left unlocked in my garage. To cure this, I had to push the start button, but not start the car. I would select my preset position, then start the car. From then on, everything was back to normal.

Try moving the seat all the way back, but don't set it in memory. After stopping the car, lock it. Now unlock it and see if the seat is all the way back and associated with your key. Reposition to your preset position after starting the car. Next time you enter the car, see if the seat is again all the way back.

My problem could be your solution.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you leave the car with someone (detailer) and you don't want the seat settings changed, you have to turn the settings off on the door panel. Otherwise, as last911 noted, the new settings are saved to the fob.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Alright thanks guys!! I will try all that and report back!!

Also would anyone happen to know all the light bulb sizes for our cars?? Mine is 2012 Premium Plus.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audia612
Also would anyone happen to know all the light bulb sizes for our cars?? Mine is 2012 Premium Plus.
I believe they're all listed in the owners manual.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
I believe they're all listed in the owners manual.
I've looked in there and it just tells me to have an authorized Audi dealer to install it.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Not only that but when you press Memory 1 to recall your preset, it needs to be held until the presets reach their destination.
Not the case it you hit the seat button before you enter the car. I just open the door, tap and release it and the seat returns all the way to the selected preset position w/o holding the button down. I believe the reason Audi decided to require the button to be held down when the car is on and the driver is seated is for safety. Imagine if you are 6' 4", driving 70 mph in traffic on the interstate and you hit your 5' 2" wife's seat memory position and it automatically moves the seat and wheel until your knees are scrunched under the dashboard and the steering wheel is crushing your ribcage or worse, your gonads.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Not the case it you hit the seat button before you enter the car. I just open the door, tap and release it and the seat returns all the way to the selected preset position w/o holding the button down. I believe the reason Audi decided to require the button to be held down when the car is on and the driver is seated is for safety. Imagine if you are 6' 4", driving 70 mph in traffic on the interstate and you hit your 5' 2" wife's seat memory position and it automatically moves the seat and wheel until your knees are scrunched under the dashboard and the steering wheel is crushing your ribcage or worse, your gonads.
You are correct, I just went out and tried it and concluded that this design could, needless to say, be improved. If I exit the car, the steering wheel moves up for ease of egress but the seat does not move. If I sit in the car and proceed to start it, the seat does not move (from its last position) but the steering wheel moves back down. If I wish to recall my preset then I can, as you describe, press the Mem recall button before sitting down and the preset is performed. Now the steering wheel is down in the driving position and my ingress is impeded. If I sit down first then I have to hold the preset button to perform the preset conditions. If I momentarily press the button, while sitting, then the screen pops up, tells me to hold the button down to execute the function and then the screen goes down until I start the car when it then comes up again,

If the lawyers must interfere with the gonad protection in vehicles then why don't they allow for the implementation of the momentary memory function while the gear lever is in Park instead of being interlocked to the recognition of a weight in the drivers seat?

I wish the code writers were given a car to drive that had their code in it instead of keeping them in a dark room with a keyboard and mouse then we may see some refinement of their intentions.

Last edited by DB22; 08-15-2014 at 03:34 AM.