Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

I got the car!! Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I got the car!! Now what?

So I finally got the A6 I posted about on my previous post and I couldnt be more pleased! The car drives great, and was clearly very well maintained, so I hope to do the same. I’ve been researching a number of different things and finding...a wide array of answers to all of my questions. I figured it best to pose them myself directly. Thanks in advance:

APR or EPL....or something else?
i had been planning to go with tunes from APR, but the more I read, the more people seem to prefer EPL. Dyno numbers seem to be...all over the place depending on several different variables. What do you guys have and...any issues or...buyers remorse with either? Anyone have 1/4 mile times? In my experience that’s a better indication of performance. Also, is there a TCU tune for the 2012 A6 3.0T? I...never seemed to get a straight answer on that.

Stabilizer bar
Ive read these make quite a big difference, have you guys found them to make a noticeable difference? If so, where did you guys get them and what size?

CAI
In my experience this is something younger.... ricer fans are into, but that doesn’t mean they are completely worthless. Mostly people talk about the difference in sound, but I’m interested in performance or MPG. Has anyone seen any ACTUAL differences? If so, what brands are you guys using? The Ingen piece looks....kind of tacky to me. I prefer subtle looking upgrades when possible.

What oil?
This question is pretty straightforward. I’ve always used Mobil one in my cars, but my wife’s BMW and the VW she had called for Castrol. I remember reading that there are Some different European standards. Anyone have a reason to/not to run some oil over another?

What Gas?
Ive always been a little more picky than most where I get my gas, but upon researching I found some stations use Top Tier gas and some do not. I had always heard Shell was good but didn’t know about this TT thing until now. I read a list of brands that carry it, but it didn’t necessarily say that...ALL stations on that list cary it. I’m not a gas guy, but I’ve alway kind of felt like cheaper, more run down stations might carry lower quality fuel. Like not all Shell’s or Exxon’s are necessarily equal. If a station has TT fuel, will it always say it on the pump?

What wax?
The paint on the car looks great! No swirl marks and only a few very minor scratches. The car doesn’t have that....nicely waxed feeling when you run your hand on it though. I want to keep the pain looking good, so what wax doe you guys recommend? I’ve always run Nu-finish; I know it’s a super old product but it kept the paint looking good. However I was reading that it can cause more swirl marks than some others and I DONT want that. I’m sure there are people in here who know about waxes that are great, so please, update me!

If you read all these things, thanks (if not, I understand...it was a lot). As I’m sure you can tell, I just want to take good care of this car and get the most out of it. Anything you guys can do to help me with that will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2019, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here it is, btw!
Old 02-12-2019, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

In my opinion the best bang for the buck mod on our cars is changing the sway bars. I went with Eurocode and they dramatically changed the car’s handling without sacrificing every day comfort.

As far as “wax” I am very happy with the Sonax line of products. I have gone with their sealants and ceramic coatings.

Enjoy the new car.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Awesome, thanks!!

So far it’s been fantastic!!
Old 02-12-2019, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Where are you located?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Based on the pic of your car I am guessing that you may be in NJ. Take a look at Detailers Domain. They carry good products and they do great work. They have a good website and they are located in Norwood, NJ.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I picked it up in Philly but I’m in Williamsburg Virginia
Old 02-13-2019, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, I too got a 2012 A6 3.0T at the end of 2017 and have enjoyed it for a year now. I recently did an EPL st. 1 tune and couldn't be happier.

Word of caution, try to find out if you thermostat has ever been replaced with the upgraded part. Mine most likely has just failed and I'm scheduled to go into my local independant mechanic to get it done. Not a cheap repair for a cheap part. But I'm also getting the PCV valve changed out and double checking the waterpump is good at the same time