Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

I think I’ve finally found “The One”

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That one thing I would comment about is that VAGs black paint (Brilliant Black, Phantom Black Pearl) are EXTREMELY high maintenance paints... the brilliant black more-so than the pearl. You breath on it - it scratches... I, personally, love black cars to death but will never own one again after realizing what a maintenance hell it is. Just my 2 cents - otherwise, car looks great!
Old 02-02-2019, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by McFuzz
That one thing I would comment about is that VAGs black paint (Brilliant Black, Phantom Black Pearl) are EXTREMELY high maintenance paints... the brilliant black more-so than the pearl. You breath on it - it scratches... I, personally, love black cars to death but will never own one again after realizing what a maintenance hell it is. Just my 2 cents - otherwise, car looks great!
Moonlight Blue Metallic comes in a close second ask me how I know��
Old 02-03-2019, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by McFuzz
It is a difficult paint to keep clean, but if it was taken care of by its previous owner it should be fine. I bought my car with 66k miles about 10 months ago. When I got it, the paint was in good condition (no major chips, no extremely deep scratches, no scuffs), but it was not perfect. After washing it thoroughly, waxing it twice, and applying scratch remover to a few select spots I have ended up with near perfect paint. Now my paint shines like new, sparkles in the sun (metallic flake), and has no significant visible scratches. The only part, which I was not able to restore was the front bumper which had quite a few rock chips (due to the mostly highway miles of the previous owner). Yes Audi black paints are labor intensive to maintain, but if you do a good job restoring them to factory-like condition (or higher a professional) and you wash the car once or twice a month it will be fine. Unfortunately for those of us on this forum its too late, but for anyone purchasing a black or dark blue car in the near future (although certainly beneficial for any car) I would highly recommend a Paint Protection Film.

Last edited by ctautoart; 02-04-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
Moonlight Blue Metallic comes in a close second ask me how I know��
Oh damn! I was thinking of moonlight as my next color but I guess I'll pass on it now...
Old 02-04-2019, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ctautoart
It is a difficult paint to keep clean, but if it was taken care of by its previous owner it should be fine. I bought my car with 66k miles about 10 months ago. When I got it, the paint was in good condition (no major chips, no extremely deep scratches, no scuffs), but it was not perfect. After washing it thoroughly, waxing it twice, and applying scratch remover to a few select spots I have ended up with near perfect paint. Now my paint shines like new, sparkles in the sun (metallic flake), and has now visible scratches. The only part, which I was not able to restore was the front bumper which had quite a few rock chips (due to the mostly highway miles of the previous owner). Yes Audi black paints are labor intensive to maintain, but if you do a good job restoring them to factor-like condition (or higher a professional) and you wash the car once or twice a month it will be fine. Unfortunately for those of us on this forum its too late, but for anyone purchasing a black or dark blue car in the near future (although certainly beneficial for any car) I would highly recommend a Paint Protection Film.
You're making me sooo glad I opted for the paint protection film, despite its high cost!
Old 02-04-2019, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought a 2012 A6 3.0T with 41K miles in August 2018 for $25K. You are getting an incredible deal. When I was looking, the only cars under 20K were the 2.0s or 3.0s with high miles. Previous owner had an extended warranty that was transferred to me. It's the platinum plan with coverage until 2022 or 96K miles. I am glad I have it because the car is in the shop right now to fix a bad sensor under the supercharger. They also found a fault with the fuel door they are fixing. Both are covered under the extended warranty so only $250 cost to me. There are few things I think are going to have to be fixed eventually - slight rough idle, transmission funky shifts, oil consumption, all seem to be issues with early A6 C7s but don't really bother me yet. Without the warranty I'd be worried about big future service costs..

The carfax doesn't mention that the supercharger belt was replaced at the 55k service, which is on the list. They may have just checked it and determined it's not needed.

Also to repeat a previous poster, check to see if you have the keyless entry, which was an option for Premium Plus 2012s. I don't have it on mine and I would have most likely bought another car if I knew that.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Audi, similar to other German cars, have a spread of almost 100%. I.E. you can get an A6 for 43k or 86k . They haven’t built two the same yet and if you factor in the numerous different markets, rules and regulations then you can see why. So stating that you got an A6 for “X” dollars doesn’t help unless you state the market location and all of the expensive options available.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jmsurpri
I bought a 2012 A6 3.0T with 41K miles in August 2018 for $25K. You are getting an incredible deal. When I was looking, the only cars under 20K were the 2.0s or 3.0s with high miles. Previous owner had an extended warranty that was transferred to me. It's the platinum plan with coverage until 2022 or 96K miles. I am glad I have it because the car is in the shop right now to fix a bad sensor under the supercharger. They also found a fault with the fuel door they are fixing. Both are covered under the extended warranty so only $250 cost to me. There are few things I think are going to have to be fixed eventually - slight rough idle, transmission funky shifts, oil consumption, all seem to be issues with early A6 C7s but don't really bother me yet. Without the warranty I'd be worried about big future service costs..

The carfax doesn't mention that the supercharger belt was replaced at the 55k service, which is on the list. They may have just checked it and determined it's not needed.

Also to repeat a previous poster, check to see if you have the keyless entry, which was an option for Premium Plus 2012s. I don't have it on mine and I would have most likely bought another car if I knew that.
@jmsurpri I am in a similiar situation , 103K miles on my 2012 A6 3.0 , considering to purchase extended warranty from the Audi Dealership. However the information provided by the Service advisor is conflicting with the information provided by the Business Manager who was selling the warranty plan. The service advisor states that the extended warranty would only cover basic engine and transmission while the Business Manager says that everything is covered excluding parts which involve regular wear and tear ex Brake pads, Suspension bushes .

Can you help me providing the details of the warranty provider that you currently have , so that I can compare with the current plan that am considering to purchase ?
Old 02-05-2019, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by deccanherald
@jmsurpri I am in a similiar situation , 103K miles on my 2012 A6 3.0 , considering to purchase extended warranty from the Audi Dealership. However the information provided by the Service advisor is conflicting with the information provided by the Business Manager who was selling the warranty plan. The service advisor states that the extended warranty would only cover basic engine and transmission while the Business Manager says that everything is covered excluding parts which involve regular wear and tear ex Brake pads, Suspension bushes .

Can you help me providing the details of the warranty provider that you currently have , so that I can compare with the current plan that am considering to purchase ?
It's called a Platinum plan from Fidelity Warranty Services. I think it's the main extended warranty service used by Audi. I don't have the details right now, but I recall everything is covered except for normal wear parts. They have various plans, with platinum being the highest coverage plan.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really appreciate all of the feedback from this thread, and I’m glad some other’s are getting useful info on extended warranties and what not.

So Audi just finished up the PPI and an air bag recall. The things they found seem...relatively minor:

12v outlet not working. This is annoying but doesn’t SEEM like it would be too hard to troubleypr fix. I’m used to dealing with a little older Fords (03-06), but this seems like something you could diagnose by shooting wires. Anyone have experience and know something I’m missing.....is this outlet somehow connected to the transmission (that’s a joke...because some repairs on these cars can be sneaky expensive)?

Curb rash on one wheel. The salesperson said it isn’t bad and will send me pics.

Crack in plastic cover inside wheel well. Same as above.

Excessive wear in front suspension bushing. She didn’t give me a ton of info on this. It doesn’t sound awesome, but doesn’t sound unreasonable for a 50k car. I know with that vague discreption it’s hard to know exactly what bushing, but is working suspension parts on these... reasonably doable or is it something a dealership must do?

Valve cover gasket indicates some leaks. Apparently they said they believe it needs to be replaced soon but the impression I was given was that it wasn’t too bad right now. I’ve done valve cover gaskets before and they aren’t bad. Anything I should know about these?

If any of these stand out or seem like red flags, please let me know. All in all I’m satisfied with the results.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: I think I’ve finally found “The One”