Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

I think I'm done with Audi

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I think I'm done with Audi

Today, I got a notice about low fluid level in my coolant system, after filling up the reservoir this morning. I set out for a day of driving, only to have my day cut short by overheating, and low coolant warnings. I was lucky to make it home, after my wife brought me the remaining coolant I had purchased this morning, and some water. After having my engine fail, and having it replaced, I'm considering bringing suit against Audi to take this car back. I haven't had this car 9 months, and this? It is simply unacceptable.

We've had our B7 for over 8 years, and had very few issues with it. This is just ridiculous.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I hear your frustration but did you investigate where the leak was coming from??? Possibly a loose clamp or something that wasn't properly tightened during the engine replacement??? Just trying to help...
Old 05-26-2017, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Nakedhoof, sorry to hear this. I guess it is luck of the draw so to speak. Sometimes you just get a car with some issues. I know it is frustrating to buy something that has perceived high quality and is so advertised only to have it fail. I assume you are still under warranty so maybe best play is to get the problem handled and run the car until warranty near expiration to see how things go from this point forward. If all good then perhaps hang onto car for a while after warranty expiration.

I had a few fairly minor teething problems with my /15 A6 3.0T but once those were resolved it has been smooth sailing. If no issues for next 2 years / 25,000 miles I may hang onto car for up to 2 years post warranty expiration or up to 65,000 miles or thereabouts. If issues of any concern present in next 2 years then Audi goes away upon warranty expiration.

Hope you get this handled and turns out to be minor/fully covered by warranty.

Best,
Jeff
Old 05-26-2017, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Brought the car in this morning. SA seemed fairly upset that I was having this problem so soon after the other one. Gave me a nice 2017 A6 loaner, blue w/brown nougat interior. I like it a lot. Also have a problem with vibrations in braking at speed, so there's that one, too. Noticed how smooth this one is, with 1600 miles on the clock. Makes my 2016 feel old, and beat up, by comparison.

Disappointed.

Dan: I'm disabled, so hunting around for leaks isn't really in the cards for me. It looks like it's steaming from the thermostat, on the side of the engine. So it's probably something in that area. In the old days, you could buy a new thermostat for $5 or $10, and just pop it in. These are something like $750 to replace.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

You may be unlucky and bought a lemon, but that can happen with any brand or product. That's why the US has a lemon law. It requires that you give the dealer a reasonable number of attempts to fix the problem. It's something like three attempts or the car has to be in the shop for a certain number of days to trigger the law. Issues happen with anything as complex as a car. That's why they come with a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. What really counts is how they treat you and if they are committed to resolving the issue.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
You may be unlucky
Indeed. The story of my life. Except for one thing: my wife.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
You may be unlucky and bought a lemon, but that can happen with any brand or product. That's why the US has a lemon law. It requires that you give the dealer a reasonable number of attempts to fix the problem. It's something like three attempts or the car has to be in the shop for a certain number of days to trigger the law. Issues happen with anything as complex as a car. That's why they come with a 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. What really counts is how they treat you and if they are committed to resolving the issue.
Lemon Law differs state from state. Here in MA it's:

If you have to have the SAME SAFETY problem fixed MORE THAN three times in ONE year or the car is has been in the shop for MORE THAN 15 CONSECUTIVE BUSINESS DAYS without a solution.

Stipulations.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

In NY the Lemon Law covers the following for cars with less than 24 months old or less than 18,000 miles, whichever occurs first:

Four or more attempts to repair and the problem continues to exist; OR

The car is out of service by reason of repair of one or more problems for a cumulative total of 30 days or more.

Exceptions when manufacturers may not be required to provide a refund or replacement:

The problem does not substantially impair the value of the car to the consumer; OR

The problem is a result of abuse, neglect or unauthorized alteration of the car.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Lemon Laws by State - Lemon Law Attorneys | DMV.org

In Massachusetts, lemon laws exist to protect you if you purchase a vehicle that has a substantial defect the manufacturer is unable to repair. This defect must substantially impair one of the following:
  • Ability to use the vehicle.
  • The car's market value.
  • The safety of the vehicle.
The term of protection for your new or leased vehicle is 1 year or 15,000 miles from the date of delivery, whichever comes first. In this time period, the following must be true for your car to qualify as a "lemon":
  • You've taken the vehicle in for repair of the same defect 3 attempts or more and the problem continues to occur.
    OR
  • Total time spent attempting to repair the defect equals 15 business days or more (not necessarily consecutive).

If your vehicle's issue continues after the manufacturer (or dealer) has made a reasonable number of attempts to repair it, you must give the manufacturer a final chance to repair the defect. This attempt must not exceed 7 business days.
Even if you're past your term of protection ( 1 year or 15,000 miles), you may still notify the manufacturer of their opportunity to fix your vehicle.
If the defect persists, you may have the right to EITHER:
  • A refund.
    OR
  • A replacement vehicle.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nakedhoof
Brought the car in this morning. SA seemed fairly upset that I was having this problem so soon after the other one. Gave me a nice 2017 A6 loaner, blue w/brown nougat interior. I like it a lot. Also have a problem with vibrations in braking at speed, so there's that one, too. Noticed how smooth this one is, with 1600 miles on the clock. Makes my 2016 feel old, and beat up, by comparison.
The vibrations in braking at speed could be warped rotors, a common problem with 2016 A6's. It can occur anytime from 10k to 25k miles. Ask for it to be covered under warranty. Mine were replaced at 22k miles under warranty.

Quick Reply: I think I'm done with Audi