Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

I think I'm done with Audi

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain. I've had a love/hate relationship with Audi. Bought a 2013 A6 2.0T for my wife and she loved it. After about 2 years/15k miles the engine blew. Audi replaced it under warranty, and the car was a continuing problem after that with a symphony of ugly noises coming from the engine compartment. Took it back to the dealer twice and they couldn't correct it so we traded it in with a smokin' great deal on a new dealer loaner A6 TDI. My wife loved the TDI then a few months later the emissions cheating scandal broke. We still love our oil-burner and plan to keep it for a long time, but I must say I don't think too highly of Audi as a company. Just my $0.02.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverendbiker
I feel your pain. I've had a love/hate relationship with Audi.
We're not at that point. I was so ready to love this car, but I think this will be a one-and-done for us. It's been disappointing with the various electrical gremlins from the underdeveloped tech features, and the belching/hiccuping transmission in around-town driving, apparently also experienced by others on this forum with no remedy. Sure, it looks great, nice interior, and plenty quick, but the constant reminder of less than refined engineering has waved us off. We need a small SUV for a second home, and will look at a BMW X1 or upcoming X2, perhaps Mini Countryman, all priced like a Q3, or even a loaded Cherokee to join our trouble-free 2009 Liberty, but Q3, or any other new Audi, has zero chance of being considered again for us. (Oh, and before the Jeep quality-mocking stories start, check the Consumer Reports quality rating for 2016MY...it may take them a few years to get them right, but seems they are there now.)
Old 05-29-2017, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportstick
We're not at that point. I was so ready to love this car, but I think this will be a one-and-done for us. It's been disappointing with the various electrical gremlins from the underdeveloped tech features, and the belching/hiccuping transmission in around-town driving, apparently also experienced by others on this forum with no remedy. Sure, it looks great, nice interior, and plenty quick, but the constant reminder of less than refined engineering has waved us off. We need a small SUV for a second home, and will look at a BMW X1 or upcoming X2, perhaps Mini Countryman, all priced like a Q3, or even a loaded Cherokee to join our trouble-free 2009 Liberty, but Q3, or any other new Audi, has zero chance of being considered again for us. (Oh, and before the Jeep quality-mocking stories start, check the Consumer Reports quality rating for 2016MY...it may take them a few years to get them right, but seems they are there now.)

And you said I was sounding a bit strident about Audi when mine was experiencing its teething problems -- LOL. Seriously, I get it. Fortunately my /15 does not have the trans issue and the teething problems are behind me (well, except for the fuel filler door that as of late has decided it intermittently doesn't want to open -- appointment with service department booked) but I feel same as you sportstick. This just isn't a car I want to keep long term as lovely as it is to drive because I have a nagging feeling that it is going to be less than reliable post-warranty and I really don't care for Audi of America or dealer attitudes to customer care/service.

I'll likely return to Mother Acura for my next purchase. As for the Jeep my theory is that vehicle is so simple there just isn't much in way of electronic junk to go wrong and the technology is so old all bugs were worked out years ago. Kind of like my beloved Gen III Acura TLs (04-08) -- perfect mix of comfort/performance/size/reliability/aesthetics and amenities for me. I found a minty 08 with only 52K miles and a Carfax disclosing trips to selling dealer service department every 4,000 miles or so for scheduled maintenance. I'm thinking about jumping on that. Given that my commute buggy 04 TL has 154,000 largely trouble-free miles I could drive that 08 for many years to come..........LOL.

Best,
Jeff
Old 05-30-2017, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, Jack Daniels Audi called me this morning, claiming that they found the problem, and it is/was a hose. However, then they claim that the part(s) is/are out of stock, and had to be ordered, and the car likely won't be ready until Thursday.

Now, I don't know about any of you, but a hose for this car not in stock? I don't buy it for an instant. Something else went wrong, and it's going to take them two days to fix it. I spent a good portion of my youth being a con artist (I left home at the age of 15, and I've been on my own ever since), and I know when someone is giving me a load of horse manure. The dealer has so far treated me well, but I think this lie is going to do it.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nakedhoof
Well, Jack Daniels Audi called me this morning, claiming that they found the problem, and it is/was a hose. However, then they claim that the part(s) is/are out of stock, and had to be ordered, and the car likely won't be ready until Thursday.

Now, I don't know about any of you, but a hose for this car not in stock? I don't buy it for an instant. Something else went wrong, and it's going to take them two days to fix it. I spent a good portion of my youth being a con artist (I left home at the age of 15, and I've been on my own ever since), and I know when someone is giving me a load of horse manure. The dealer has so far treated me well, but I think this lie is going to do it.

Relax, just enjoy that /17 and pile the miles on it!
Old 05-30-2017, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Acuransx
Relax, just enjoy that /17 and pile the miles on it!
Definitely! Several electrical gremlins in it, as well. Several times on Friday, the A/C turned itself on, and the radio randomly brings itself out of mute. BTW, LEDs on all interior lighting systems now, and the cornering lights.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nakedhoof
Definitely! Several electrical gremlins in it, as well. Several times on Friday, the A/C turned itself on, and the radio randomly brings itself out of mute. BTW, LEDs on all interior lighting systems now, and the cornering lights.

You are for sure not having a good run with Audi. I've had a number of Audi loaner cars and they were fine. My A6 aside from the fuel filler door issue that recently presented has no such gremlins (yet).

I'm neither a doctor nor a pharmacist but my Rx is when timing is right for switch out of Audi for something else. I've found Honda/Acura to be supremely reliable and devoid of electrical or other gremlins but this is just my experience with Gen III TLs which at this point in time are at least 9 years old! YMMV and I don't think Honda/Acura is quite as devoid of issues now as they were years ago.

I think the issues lots of us are encountering have much to do with the complexity (some of it needless IMHO but that is another discussion) of modern cars what with all the electronics and other stuff crammed into them. I can be very happy with less tech, thank you.

Best,
Jeff
Old 05-30-2017, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

When the tech works, great, but a lot of it simply does not. Example is phone connections. More than half of the time, my phone connects, but you can't hear anything, either from the phone, or from the car. My solution was to use a cigarette lighter USB plug, so that the phone doesn't connect to the car. PITA
Old 05-30-2017, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I must be a very lucky guy. I've had no issues with my A6 over 5 years and with very minor exceptions, every feature has worked as expected. In fact, this has been the most trouble free, feature packed Audi I've owned.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I must be a very lucky guy. I've had no issues with my A6 over 5 years and with very minor exceptions, every feature has worked as expected. In fact, this has been the most trouble free, feature packed Audi I've owned.
If you've been privileged to moderate this group, you already knew you were lucky!

Quick Reply: I think I'm done with Audi