Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

I'm Baaaaaaaack woohoo!!!

Old 05-24-2017, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm Baaaaaaaack woohoo!!!

Well folks,

After an almost 3 year rollercoaster ride owning a 2010 Range Rover Sport S/C the prodigal son returns.

This time around I'm looking at a 2014 A6 Teknik S-Line with 83000 kms

The pads and rotors need to be replaced and it needs some serious paint correction which the dealer said they would compound and wax it all out. Apparently the previous owner didn't give a **** and would just sweep the snow off the car instead of gently brushing it off.

A few questions guys;
- What should I look out for? anything particularly glitchy with the A6 models?
- Is the 3.0 engine timing chain or belt?
- Is the gearbox dual clutch or single?
- I noticed the headlight lenses on all the A6's in stock of that year have a slight yellow tint to them. Is this by design or is it a sign that they will need to be refinished?
- Can the center screen be modified to play DVD's via Vag Com?
- Speaking of Vag Com, what's the best software tool to use? Not just looking to scan and clear codes.
- Any leak issues synonymous with the A6 line of this year?
- What would a generic re-flash bring the HP up to? Stock is 280 so I'm told.

I am so excited to be back. The Range Rover forum with the most traffic has a douche bag admin who threatened to "ban me for life" because I said the word "****" lol.

Cheers and thanks guys. Can't wait to get back in a real drivers seat!!!!

Last edited by pablo_ottawa; 05-24-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome back! I would buy obdeleven scanner tool which is easy to use and connects to your cell phone via bluetooth and you can make all kinds of neat changes such as video in motion, LED lights on with turn signal, etc.

https://obdeleven.com
Old 05-24-2017, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As for the yellowing of the lights thats probably bad thing and needs to be replaced or refinished. No yellowing on the 2014 A6 or 2016 A7s we have.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks Baloo,

i dont know know about those headlight lenses. All of the other A6's we looked at had the exact same tint to them. The plastic isn't fogged over like you'd see on cheaper older cars (Nissan, GM, Chrysler etc), it just has a slightly bronze/gold look inside as if the color of the trim inside the lens is causing it. Like I said, all of the 2014 A6 models has them and I even think a 2015 had it too.

As for the scan tool, do you have the same model? Do you find it offers the same functionality as the Vag Com tool from Rosstech? I'd prefer to be able to do it all and can overlook the clumsiness of needing a laptop to do my scans and customization.

lastly if you have any insight to my other questions it would really help. Getting close to making a decision.

Cheers and thanks for your help.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

-water pump, thermostat, motor mounts, oil consumption
-chain
-single - ZF tiptronic - S and RS models have DSG
-refinish them
-already plays DVD's but you need to enable VIM if you want video while driving (be careful) I think only VCDS/VAGCOM can enable this
-yes get ross tech VCDS
-no common leak issues that I am aware of
-310HP stock at the crank, stage 1 will get you ~70HP, maybe a little more with an intake (roc-euro, injen)

I went from GIAC Tuned 1.8T passat, to 2.8 A4, to 4.2 S4, to passat 2.0 TDI, back to Audi with a '12 prestige A6 3.0T and couldnt be happier. This is my favorite car of the bunch by far.

Big services are at 55K miles which you should either have had just completed or will need. SC belt, air filter, oil change, cabin filter, spark plugs. DIY this is a $250 service if you shop around...$700-$800 at the dealer typically.

What other options do you have?
Old 05-25-2017, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pablo_ottawa
Well folks,

- I noticed the headlight lenses on all the A6's in stock of that year have a slight yellow tint to them. Is this by design or is it a sign that they will need to be refinished?
I just took delivery of a 2014 A6 and have the same thing! Also wondering if this is an issue. The dealer claimed that this was normal and many other classifieds online show the same thing but I'm curious as well!
Old 05-25-2017, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pablo_ottawa
Thanks Baloo,

i dont know know about those headlight lenses. All of the other A6's we looked at had the exact same tint to them. The plastic isn't fogged over like you'd see on cheaper older cars (Nissan, GM, Chrysler etc), it just has a slightly bronze/gold look inside as if the color of the trim inside the lens is causing it. Like I said, all of the 2014 A6 models has them and I even think a 2015 had it too.

As for the scan tool, do you have the same model? Do you find it offers the same functionality as the Vag Com tool from Rosstech? I'd prefer to be able to do it all and can overlook the clumsiness of needing a laptop to do my scans and customization.

lastly if you have any insight to my other questions it would really help. Getting close to making a decision.

Cheers and thanks for your help.
Hey no problem! The obdeleven is as good as the vag com without the clumsiness of the laptop and far cheaper. I love it! I did alot of scanning on my A7 and A6 and did a few coding which worked out well.

To answer some of your questions:

- A6 has a chain
- No leak issues
- No other major issues I have encountered of heard of with the A6s except the TDI recall which we are getting compensated for on our 2014 A6 TDI.
-You can do APR or REVO stage 1 to get the HP bumped 60 hp plus.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Baloo588
Welcome back! I would buy obdeleven scanner tool which is easy to use and connects to your cell phone via bluetooth and you can make all kinds of neat changes such as video in motion, LED lights on with turn signal, etc.

https://obdeleven.com
first time im hearing about this tool is safe to use ?
Old 05-29-2017, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kuattroo
first time im hearing about this tool is safe to use ?
Yep so easy and comfortable to use without issues on my 2016 A7, 2014 A6 and my dad's 2012 A8L.