Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Inconsistent brakes feeling/resistance

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inconsistent brakes feeling/resistance

I love all aspects of A6(C7) except the brakes. At first I was disappointed with the soft touch pedal. Even sometimes the pedal travels a little more than I expected so I have the uncomfortable feelings when braking. The brakes are working fine for stopping though.

The brake fluid bleeing does not help. I tried the bleeding twice. The audi services said that the brakes have no problems.
If this is by design, can I get some improvements by replacing with the whole brake systems such as the brembo or stoptech? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's probably a combination of master cylinder sizing and the amount of brake booster assist. Changing the former trades pedal travel for effort (i.e. less travel = more effort required) and either will require physical hardware replacement. I have doubts that there are a lot of options for changing anything on this chassis yet. If the S6/7 exhibit better brake feel, then perhaps components from those cars could be retrofitted.

Anyone driven both and care to comment on any differences in braking feel?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
It's probably a combination of master cylinder sizing and the amount of brake booster assist. Changing the former trades pedal travel for effort (i.e. less travel = more effort required) and either will require physical hardware replacement. I have doubts that there are a lot of options for changing anything on this chassis yet. If the S6/7 exhibit better brake feel, then perhaps components from those cars could be retrofitted.

Anyone driven both and care to comment on any differences in braking feel?
For my knowledge, Will switching to Brembos improve this?

4 grands for brembos
Old 12-30-2012, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by noah123
For my knowledge, Will switching to Brembos improve this?

4 grands for brembos
Probably not. Any forged one-piece caliper (like the Brembos) will be stiffer than a sliding caliper and make the pedal incrementally stiffer as a result (same for stainless steel-braided brake lines). The real problem lies with the design of the braking system - in this case Audi has traded "easy" braking effort a hard pedal. In comparison, Porsche typically does the opposite.

Just bolting in aftermarket calipers could potentially make it worse, as you need to balance master cylinder size with the piston sizing of the caliper. Your best bet is to try a different (preferably harder compound) brake pad. There are types that require more effort and subsequently add a little feel to the pedal.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I upgraded my front brakes to 380mm brakes that Stasis offers. This also included SS brake lines for the front brakes and new higher temperature brake fluid. The prinary reason I did this was to eliminate the mild fading I would experiance when participating in High Speed Driving Events on the track. That said they did improve overall break feel for me as well as improve braking which was already excellent with the stock brakes. The Brembo and Stasis brakes are very similiar so I would expect similiar results with the brembo brakes as well. I did replace the the brake fluid that Stasis provided with even higher temp brake fluid. I did this fluid change myself using a brake bleeding tool I purchased from ECS and the help of my son-in-law. I think it made the job really easy and pretty much guarantees no air in the lines.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kmryu
I love all aspects of A6(C7) except the brakes. At first I was disappointed with the soft touch pedal. Even sometimes the pedal travels a little more than I expected so I have the uncomfortable feelings when braking. The brakes are working fine for stopping though.

For clarification, are you saying that sometimes the pedal requires more travel than other times, resulting in inconsistent braking?

If so, this seems horribly unsafe, and should be investigated for a NHTSA recall.

I have heard of this complaint before, however, I have never experienced it on my A7.