Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Innovation vs. driver assist vs. side assist?

Old 10-14-2011, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Innovation vs. driver assist vs. side assist?

Looking for a little feedback here if those of you who own the car don't mind sharing. I'm at a point that I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new 2012 A6 but am trying to finalize the actual packages I *think* I want vs. not.

Side Assist - I'd like to get this not for the LED warnings but rather the power folding mirrors if that makes sense. Not a must have, just a really nice to have IMO.

Driver Assist - I rarely if ever use cruise control so don't believe this to be all that valuable.

Innovation Package - Comes with both of the above + HUD + Infrared + LED headlights. Is all this really worth getting? I wasn't that impressed with the HUD and I can't ever imagine using the infrared display mode.

My question regarding the above is whether or not I'm missing something in my assessments? They may add to future resale value but nowhere near what I'd be paying for them now. Given I'm going for the LED headlights + possibly the side assist, I'm nearly halfway there to buying Innovation anyways... The alternative would be aftermarket upgrades such as a tune and exhaust when available with the money saved.

So those that have these features, love them? Don't care for them? Would you get the package/feature again?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 10:49 AM
HDK
AudiWorld Member

I took delivery of my C7 A6 from dealer stock and it came optioned almost exactly as I would have ordered it. It's a Premium Plus with 19" sport package and side assist as the only add-ons. The only thing I would have added would have been the cold weather package (heated steering wheel would be nice in Anchorage).

I think the side assist is a worthwhile option. As you mentioned it's the cheapest way to get power folding mirrors, the blind spot monitoring system also seems to be worth having. So far it seems to be doing exactly what it is advertised to do but, I've only got 700 miles on my A6 and I'm still in the mode of developing 100% trust in the system.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,

I have a premium plus and driver assist package. After a month with my car I am quite happy. But after reading the manual and actually being in the car, I think my ideal configuration, in hindsight, would have been:

presitige+driver assist+cold+led

but not the innovation package as I think i'd find the HUD annoying and the night vision and interesting toy. Of course... I haven't seen one.

But I can say I really like the driver assist, including both the side assist and adaptive cruise control. Even if you don't use the adaptive cruise often, it does include Audi Pre -Sense plus, which will warn you if you are approaching a slow (but not stopped) driver too quickly and will actually start braking the car. I've got the warning once (correctly). So it may provide some extra protection against rear-ending. The car also uses its ultrasonic parking sensors for this, but it is shorter range.

FYI the adaptive cruise is really cool, and it will keep you better spaced than you can do your self, and slow you down to 0, and restart. If you let it do that, *be aware that it is still on*. If you change lanes into open trafic - off you go back up from 5 mph to 70! Fast! Tap your brakes or turn it off before exiting the freeway! If I'm in stop and go traffic, I keep it down to 45 and boost it if it looks like its going to open up.

My only complaing is that both of these systems have temporarily taken themselves off-line once for a few seconds due to sensor confusion. You get a startling alarm tone and a message in your information display.

I did have a "no sensor vision" alarm once for the cruise, which cleared in a minute. I think it was because I came out from a pitch black parking garage and into direct sun glare focused onto the camera, which I think may have confused it.

Side assist faulted once when I was in a tight tunnel, in a stopped lane, with traffic flying by in the other lane. I bet the tight quarters made the radar see somenonsensical multiple returns. I was already freaked out by the traffic though, and getting the alarm was even more freaky at just that instant. But, I Turned it off and on and it was OK.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Prestige with side assist and full LED's. I use cruise all the time but would not want the adaptive cruise, did that with Mercedes and was not impressed. I would however, love to have the HUD. I had that in my '08 Corvette as well as a couple older GM's and I find it extremely useful. I also find the side assist very nice.

You will, if you trade the car later, get more with the Innovation package and that may make it more attractive, depending on how long you keep the car. I would not consider a 2012 without Prestige and sport package, pretty much everything else is very subjective and depends on how you drive.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently purchased a 2012 A6 with presitge and innovation pkgs. In my opinion all of the features you get with these pkgs are well worth it. The adaptive cruise control works remarkably well. I had one on my HS250 that traded in and the Audi version works much better and is great even in city traffic. As far as the night vision is concerned I probably will not use very often but on those occasions when on a country road with no street lighting I will sure to be using it. The LED headlights are fantastic.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Innovation won out due to availability & pricing

Thanks folks.

I really wasn't going to go with the Innovation Package at all and had my local dealer scour the entire state as well as cars that were inbound to the US in the next couple months. There turned out to be a car almost exactly as I wanted at another local dealership no more than 30 minutes from me but instead of Side Assist, it had the Innovation Package.

As I mentioned, I really didn't see the value in getting this package over Side Assist but once the dealer threw in a discount on top of my corporate discounted pricing, it turned out to be close enough to what I had in mind for only a little more than I had expected, I'll be getting a nearly loaded 2012 A6 without having to wait.

I head in tomorrow to see about finalizing the deal. If everything goes according to the deal structure outlined in email tonight, I'll be leaving the BMW ranks and joining Audi this weekend! Can't wait and hope it doesn't end in disappointment.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have Innovation + Full Led

Side Assist - is great! Sometimes it gets hung up, but its been more of help than a bother. Its been a couple of time when I truly thought there was nothing there, but the light was on. So I physically turn around to look and bam, there's something right there in my blind spot. I can say without a doubt, I would been in some close calls without the extra help.

Driver Assist - I've never adaptive cruise control before, but I like it....I like it ALOT. If I didn't get the huge discount I did on my car, I wouldn't have opted for it. However, now that I have it, its none of those things that you really appreciate. It's simple to use, I didn't even have to read the owner's manual. Its really helpful in bumper to bumper traffic.

Night Vision - is a novelty item...ungh there I said it lol. Its actually pretty cool, but since it doesn't take it a step further like Volvo and do automatic breaking....meh you can do without it.

HUD - is a nice novelty too. However I like it over Night Vision. I like seeing the speed and navigation info displayed on the windshield. If it gets too distracting you can always turn it off. You can also adjust where it appears and what info is displayed.

LED Lights - for aesthetics they really add a dimension to the car. They are also supposedly really smart and do all this tricks like auto adjusting and cornering. I've not been a situation where I've noticed them do anything besides light the road very well, which is all I need them to do anyways lol.

LOL, but being that you already got the package my input is a bit late! Enjoy the car, post lots of pic!!
Old 10-15-2011, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lostnspace
I have Innovation + Full Led

Night Vision - is a novelty item...ungh there I said it lol. Its actually pretty cool, but since it doesn't take it a step further like Volvo and do automatic breaking....meh you can do without it.
Sounds like most of the package is very useful. Night vision looked like a novelty in all the reviews I've read but thought why not get it? Lol
Originally Posted by NW Dave

As I mentioned, I really didn't see the value in getting this package over Side Assist but once the dealer threw in a discount on top of my corporate discounted pricing, it turned out to be close enough to what I had in mind for only a little more than I had expected, I'll be getting a nearly loaded 2012 A6 without having to wait.

I head in tomorrow to see about finalizing the deal. If everything goes according to the deal structure outlined in email tonight, I'll be leaving the BMW ranks and joining Audi this weekend! Can't wait and hope it doesn't end in disappointment.

that sounds like a good deal to me. congrats and those of us who are waiting would love to see the pics!
Old 10-15-2011, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a few comments about the options...

1. The stop go stop cruise is amazing. I sit in Houston rush hour traffic every day...it is something to get used to because I didnt trust the car at the beginning, but jeez it is awesome to not have to worry about brake gas brake gas...it takes a lot of stress out of the drive.

2. The Night vision or thermal vision or whatever it is...I thought it was a novelty until last weekend...I took a road trip to LSU to see the gators get beat...I drove over on late thursday night...there's a stretch of I-10 that is about 10 miles long and very dark...I decided to turn on the night vision and it picked up a family of deer standing on the side of the road way in front of me...I slowed down and was able to give myself some room...it was awesome.

I'd say get the car loaded out...when you are paying that much, what is an extra few thousand?!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ForRuner99
I have a few comments about the options...

1. The stop go stop cruise is amazing. I sit in Houston rush hour traffic every day...it is something to get used to because I didnt trust the car at the beginning, but jeez it is awesome to not have to worry about brake gas brake gas...it takes a lot of stress out of the drive.

2. The Night vision or thermal vision or whatever it is...I thought it was a novelty until last weekend...I took a road trip to LSU to see the gators get beat...I drove over on late thursday night...there's a stretch of I-10 that is about 10 miles long and very dark...I decided to turn on the night vision and it picked up a family of deer standing on the side of the road way in front of me...I slowed down and was able to give myself some room...it was awesome.

I'd say get the car loaded out...when you are paying that much, what is an extra few thousand?!
Totally agree about these great features but I sure would not depend on them.
Like everything in life it will go one day & if your foot is not on top
of the brake pedal your gonna be in real trouble & totally your fault!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Innovation vs. driver assist vs. side assist?