Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Interior colour advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't have a black ceiling in my living room and I don't want one in my car either. I prefer the lighter colors in locations that give an overall contrast in design. I would pay extra to not have a black interior, I wasn't even sure about having the black carpets.
If to go to any auto show, you never find a luxury car with a black interior - I wonder why?
Old 12-01-2014, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
If to go to any auto show, you never find a luxury car with a black interior - I wonder why?
I have seen black interiors on pricey models at car shows, but I think the reason the lighter colors are frequently displayed is that they show better when looking into them and make the interior look bigger - no one could argue that.
My comments re: the black headliner were related to the two color choices the OP offered. On a tan or grey leather interior I doubt I would want black for the headliner. M-B usually offers a headliner that coordinates with the leather choice which I think is what Audi is in a way starting to do. Many E and S Class M-B's I have seen have totally dark/black interiors.
I like many of the lighter non-black color interiors offered by BMW. M-B. Lexus and others, but I have never liked Audi's tan and grey - they look washed out to me. Lexus has an especially lovely beige-ish interior color (Flaxen) that I wish Audi had - I'd get it in a heartbeat.
I have always gotten my Audi's with the Black leather and carpet because I am afraid some spilled liquid or grease will make the carpets look old and shabby fairly quickly - just a personal choice. This relates somewhat to Audi's cheap looking carpet material; it is not at all as lush or soft a pile as in a Lexus, for example. Without those concerns I could go for beige leather/carpet in an Audi, but only if the headliner was beige too, not the grey/silver so many Audi cars I see have - I can't stand that (to me) washed out color.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

B
Old 12-01-2014, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For 2014 you could get beige with a dark brown carpet on the A7 but not the A6 for some reason. I went for the beige but wish I had the darker carpet for the dirt factor. Plus the driver floor mat no longer continues up under the pedals allowing shoe drips to hit the carpet. I suppose this has something to do with a history of unintended acceleration on Audi's, Toyota's and other makes.

Last edited by Rjim; 12-02-2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by perlfather
C

my wife, (the smart one in the family) thought the black headliner was too dark. We have C, but obviously a matter of personal taste. No right or wrong.
Had the same conversation with my wife and purchased C ourselves. I do like the look of D as well though.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 12-02-2014, 01:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sandjunkie

Thank you for those pictures. I do think that the black headliner is more coordinated and integrated.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I vote D

Originally Posted by DB22
I don't have a black ceiling in my living room and I don't want one in my car either. I prefer the lighter colors in locations that give an overall contrast in design. I would pay extra to not have a black interior, I wasn't even sure about having the black carpets.
I agree with you that a concours car looks better in lighter colors, but having owned light and dark I can tell you that I certainly have gone black and I for one won't go back. To me it simply comes down to scuff marks; they don't show as much on the door sills of a dark interior but someone who scuffs a dark souled shoe on the door sill or floor wall of a light interior has inadvertently scarred your car . . . and those marks are hard to remove. Women seem to get eye makeup on the headliner of my vehicles near the vanity mirror and that is also nearly impossible to remove from a light headliner. So for me it's as much about practicality as looks (although I admit I prefer the look, too - I guess I am just simple).

Although I can pretend I am one of those concours Bentley convertible owners with a white poodle and white gloves, the reality is I have to drive my A6 even if it rains or snows; daily driver vehicles in my climate with a light interior won't stay pretty for long no matter how careful you are.

My car is option D from the OP's list and it does not look orange at all. I had an X5 with saddle leather and it did look orange and the S4 red also looks orange - but the A6 nougat (to me at least) does not. I vote D.

Last edited by BrentCPA; 12-04-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BrentCPA
I agree with you that a concours car looks better in lighter colors, but having owned light and dark I can tell you that I certainly have gone black and I for one won't go back. To me it simply comes down to scuff marks; they don't show as much on the door sills of a dark interior but someone who scuffs a dark souled shoe on the door sill or floor wall of a light interior has inadvertently scarred your car . . . and those marks are hard to remove. Women seem to get eye makeup on the headliner of my vehicles near the vanity mirror and that is also nearly impossible to remove from a light headliner. So for me it's as much about practicality as looks (although I admit I prefer the look, too - I guess I am just simple).

Although I can pretend I am one of those concours Bentley convertible owners with a white poodle and white gloves, the reality is I have to drive my A6 even if it rains or snows; daily driver vehicles in my climate with a light interior won't stay pretty for long no matter how careful you are.

My car is option D from the OP's list and it does not look orange at all. I had an X5 with saddle leather and it did look orange and the S4 red also looks orange - but the A6 nougat (to me at least) does not. I vote D.
Well said.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I have seen black interiors on pricey models at car shows, but I think the reason the lighter colors are frequently displayed is that they show better when looking into them and make the interior look bigger - no one could argue that.
I was in an all black A8L on Friday, right before ordering my S6. Some cars don't need light colors to look bigger than an aircraft carrier.

Quick Reply: Interior colour advice