Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

longevity of paint protection film?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default longevity of paint protection film?

I am getting a new S6 (Aug delivery) and am contemplating paint protection film for a least the areas likely to get rock chips. I see some have gotten the entire car done. I have a few questions, since I have never used this type of product before.

Is there a problem with the areas covered vs uncovered with film fading differently over time from the sun?

Any special instructions for washing your car?

Any opinions on the best brand/type of film?
Old 06-21-2014, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

I would also like to know the answers to those questions. I am taking delivery of a TDI in Oolong Gray Metallic in August.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More recent films don't show much of a difference between covered and uncovered. that said if you don't cover a full panel you will notice a line where the film ends. Honestly I don't know about fading issues, however the film could yellow and if it does within warranty period you can get it replaced.

No special instructions for washing your car. Actually it's easier washing the covered areas as there is less concern about scratching the paint.

Best films are probably those that have self healing properties when it comes to scratches. All films will get "chipped" and scratched by road debris. But It is doing it to the film and not to your paint. IMO it's worth it. My paint has been saved and if I keep the car long enough I will most likely get the major pieces of film replaced and any others that may have been damaged. Cheaper than repainting the front of the car.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never used a film but always wondered about waxing. You don't put wax on top of the film do you?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

actually you do apply wax to the film and I hve used 3M film for years on all my fleet vehicles and theres never been an issue with yellowing.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks.
I guess the question I am trying to answer at this point is not IF I am going to do a protective film, but how extensive (as in, certain areas or the whole car, etc).
From multiple discussions online I think I am going with the XPEL brand. I am a little confused however about it vs OptiCoat Pro. I know that one is a actualy film and the other is a, for lack of a better word, lacquer/clearcoat that bonds to the paint. However, I have seen people talk about getting both the film AND the Opticoat. Can anyone comment on that?
Old 06-21-2014, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kcbonedoc
Thanks.
I guess the question I am trying to answer at this point is not IF I am going to do a protective film, but how extensive (as in, certain areas or the whole car, etc).
From multiple discussions online I think I am going with the XPEL brand. I am a little confused however about it vs OptiCoat Pro. I know that one is a actualy film and the other is a, for lack of a better word, lacquer/clearcoat that bonds to the paint. However, I have seen people talk about getting both the film AND the Opticoat. Can anyone comment on that?
1. I like the xpel film
2. film protects paint against chips from flying road debris
3. Opticoat (or the other coatings like it - I prefer CQuartz or gtechniq) do not protect against paint chips. they best way to describe them is a wax on steroids. They add a longer lasting hydrophobic shield on your paint, which keeps it looking nicer and IMO easier to maintain. Some say opticoat lasts forever. I am skeptical but if it does, IMO after a few years you are going to want to buff it off and redo it since the opticoat layer will degrade from normal wear and tear / scratches / bird droppings / etc. hence I like using the products like CQuartz, GTechniq, PPLE that last for 2 years and you can apply yourself for about $60

4. If you do any coating, do the xpel first - then the coating as you need the bare paint for the xpel to best adhere to - plus you can put the coating over the xpel
Old 06-21-2014, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And as it relates to what to cover it is subjective, but here would be my suggestions:

Full hood
Full front
Headlights
Front Quarter panels (your call on full vs. about 1/4 of them, I did partial)
Side mirrors
A pillars (I didn't do these and wish I had)
Behind wheel wells (front and back)
Door cups (avoids scratches from rings and finger nails)
Top of rear bumper underneath the trunk lid (avoids scratches on paint from things going in and out of the trunk)

I paid about $1,250 and was well spent in my opinion. Price may vary depending on installer.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by kcbonedoc
I am getting a new S6 (Aug delivery) and am contemplating paint protection film for a least the areas likely to get rock chips. I see some have gotten the entire car done. I have a few questions, since I have never used this type of product before.

Is there a problem with the areas covered vs uncovered with film fading differently over time from the sun?

Any special instructions for washing your car?

Any opinions on the best brand/type of film?
If you use a top notch film like Xpel Ultimate there will be no fading. The Ultimate has a built-in clear coat like the paint on your car. It has a 10 year warranty against any defects, including fading. Either a wax andr as mentioned, a film sealer or better yet, a hard shell coating like Opti-Coat Pro or CQuartz is all that's needed (for the whole car)

Wash as normal and if you must use a car wash, always use a touchless and try to avoid high pressure versions (a corner of the film could start to peel of the pressure is too high and used too often).

Xpel Ultimate, hands down. It's thicker than others and the only one to have a clear coat and most important, the only one to have self healing properties. Google for demo videos.

See my sig for my coverage areas.