Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

LED Fog light feature.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default LED Fog light feature.

2014 A6 Prestige with full LED lighting:

I turned on the fog lights and drove on the freeway up to about 100MPH and at around 90 to 95 the fog lights turned off. After slowing to ACC set at 65 the lights stayed off. The indicator, next to the switch, indicated that the lights were turned on but they were still off so I turned the fogs off and then on again and they came on.
My second test was the same test and the lights tuned off at around 95MPH. I left them off and they automatically came on again after about 2 minutes.

The speedometer has the cruise enable speed red LED's up to 95 MPH and I thought that may be the turn off speed for the fog lights but it appears to turn the lights off just before it. I also have the speedometer speed warning feature set to 150MPH so that has no effect either.

A curious feature that a German engineer must have thought was a good idea but I am not sure that it is of any value.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Fog lights? The A6 doesn't have 'em. Did you mean the "Cornering lights"? (Sometimes referred to as the "All weather lights"). Unlike fogs, the cornering lights point down low and out to the sides. They're not really very useful at highway speeds, even in limited visibility.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Fog lights? The A6 doesn't have 'em. Did you mean the "Cornering lights"? (Sometimes referred to as the "All weather lights"). Unlike fogs, the cornering lights point down low and out to the sides. They're not really very useful at highway speeds, even in limited visibility.
Yes, I'm sorry. I meant the "inclement weather illumination system"
Old 06-18-2014, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone find it funny to drive >100mph in the fog.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
Does anyone find it funny to drive >100mph in the fog.
I hope that you were not assuming that it was foggy?
Old 06-18-2014, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Yes, I agree the A6 does not have fog lights but no car in the USA has them. The NHTSA does not allow you to have fog lights on unless the headlamps are on and all that the headlights do is light up the fog. Real fog lights are mounted low to illuminate beneath the fog and are used without headlights so that you can see the road but not the fog.
The A6, with its cornering lights, is a gimmick of dubious use, even Ford dropped the idea after 1998 on the Crown Vic when they realized that the cornering lights idea was past its sell by date.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Yes, I agree the A6 does not have fog lights but no car in the USA has them. The NHTSA does not allow you to have fog lights on unless the headlamps are on and all that the headlights do is light up the fog. Real fog lights are mounted low to illuminate beneath the fog and are used without headlights so that you can see the road but not the fog.
The A6, with its cornering lights, is a gimmick of dubious use, even Ford dropped the idea after 1998 on the Crown Vic when they realized that the cornering lights idea was past its sell by date.
The LED has a very sharp cutoff and the beam is quite wide, drove in the fog at night before and it works great. The corning light/all weather cuts off above 40 (can't be sure) even if you code Fog light on with high beam in VCDS or fog light independent of low beam. However, I think the rear fog stays regardless of speed on once you press the button to turn it on.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:52 AM
DVE
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Some comparison in small fog ...

Old 06-18-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 13c7a6
The LED has a very sharp cutoff and the beam is quite wide, drove in the fog at night before and it works great. The corning light/all weather cuts off above 40 (can't be sure) even if you code Fog light on with high beam in VCDS or fog light independent of low beam. However, I think the rear fog stays regardless of speed on once you press the button to turn it on.
Does the VCDS programming of fog light independent of low beam allow the fogs to operate without the low beams?

FYI - in Europe it states that the rear fog light is to be used only in conditions of reduced visibility. People will come up behind you with their high beams on if they think that you are misusing the rear fog light.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 AM
DVE
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Does the VCDS programming of fog light independent of low beam allow the fogs to operate without the low beams?
Thats not possible and makes no sense ... Picture shows lowbeam and the differences to allweatherlight

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Fog light feature.