Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Key not recognized, interesting fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key not recognized, interesting fix

So I get in the car, after using the smart thingy to open it hands free. No problem. Car won't start and it tells me to put the key near the logo on the steering wheel. Stupid car, there is no logo on the steering wheel. i happen to notice some logo on the dash near the A/C and placed it there, key gets recognized and all is good. Strange.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WannaS6
So I get in the car, after using the smart thingy to open it hands free. No problem. Car won't start and it tells me to put the key near the logo on the steering wheel. Stupid car, there is no logo on the steering wheel. i happen to notice some logo on the dash near the A/C and placed it there, key gets recognized and all is good. Strange.
Have had this happen a few times, but I don't recall the message saying to place the key fob specifically on the steering wheel, just next to the key logo.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dht34
Have had this happen a few times, but I don't recall the message saying to place the key fob specifically on the steering wheel, just next to the key logo.
The only time I ever saw this is

1) when I first picked up my car

2) whenever I do an Audi Owners meetup I'll have my key in my pocket and sit in another Advanced Key equipped owners car (for performing VAG Mods), with that cars key present also...the system gets confused by seeing 2 different keys at the same time.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Key not recognized

There is a reference in the owners manual, warning that the car can fail to recognize a key when keys form other cars have been present. I wonder what will happen, when my wife, with her A4 key gets into my car as a passenger! I get my car next month, so I haven't tested it yet.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dssdmd
There is a reference in the owners manual, warning that the car can fail to recognize a key when keys form other cars have been present. I wonder what will happen, when my wife, with her A4 key gets into my car as a passenger! I get my car next month, so I haven't tested it yet.
The car will recognize the key closest to the driver's door so long as there is only one key on your person.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Can these mods be done on 2015 A63.0T?
Old 02-04-2015, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wrecklesswun
Can these mods be done on 2015 A63.0T?
This is is not a mod, it's a feature on your A6.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

i was referring to
[Needle Sweep // Video In Motion // Comfort Access Windows // D & S Gear Display // Front Amber Delete // Lap Timer // Adaptive Brake Lights]
Old 02-09-2015, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wrecklesswun
i was referring to
[Needle Sweep // Video In Motion // Comfort Access Windows // D & S Gear Display // Front Amber Delete // Lap Timer // Adaptive Brake Lights]
Silly me, I should have known.

Probably they can be done, check the VAG Com discussion forum. There is not much experience on the latest iteration but I do not see why not.
I also recommend that you purchase your own cable, it has numerous benefits.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am having a similar issue my A3 says key not recognized used my second key fob and it worked in the morning now again it’s giving me the same message, I put it up to the spot by the steering wheel and it turns on but keeps saying key not in vehicle when I’m driving

Quick Reply: Key not recognized, interesting fix