Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Knocking front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Knocking front suspension

My 2015 A6 is making me lose it over these knocking sounds coming from my front suspension. It happens only when 1 wheel is going over potholes, speed bumps, turning into a ramp. If I take the speed bump with both wheels at the same time no sound is heard. Any idea what could it be? It has gotten worse, I actually went to the dealer 3 months ago for the same, they changed the control arm bushings but the noise continued. Wondering if any of you has had the same issue so I can ask the dealer to look into something more specific.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

my first guess is control arm bushings

how many miles you got?
Old 03-20-2018, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vodka G
my first guess is control arm bushings

how many miles you got?
46k miles. Dealer replaced the control arm bushings back in December. Or at least that's what they told me, but the issue did not get resolved.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the next thing would be a lose top strut. have them check that
Old 03-20-2018, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Chronic problem. Have them check the sway bar bushings.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I’ve gone around and around with these noises if your hearing it and sometimes feeling it a little further back from the front end. More like under your feet. Slight knocking noise at slow speeds and uneven roads, speed bumps are a little too much for it to happen. Then it is usually the trailing control arm bushing which they have a tsb out to replace the bushings. There was a couple times very recently where we did the bushings and it took care of the noise on the drivers side but not the passenger side and we ended up putting the whole arm in it and that was after swapping struts, knuckle, and the other arms. If the noise is more from the front end and a little louder than I have also run into the hood being misadjusted from those little rubber bumpers on the front of the hood.
The following users liked this post:
Jim Holmes (02-05-2020)
Old 03-21-2018, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Chronic problem. Have them check the sway bar bushings.
I will tell the dealer this. Also, saw in another thread someone that had a similar issue and the sway bar links were the culprit. I have an appointment Saturday, maybe I'm more lucky this time.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by freinando
I will tell the dealer this. Also, saw in another thread someone that had a similar issue and the sway bar links were the culprit. I have an appointment Saturday, maybe I'm more lucky this time.
Good luck
Old 03-21-2018, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

funny enough i had this problem with my car... the foreman said he took the whole suspension out and put it back together and re tightened everything and i still had the knock. My car has 19k on it, it usually happens in cold months and summer its fine. I suspected it was either front strut bushings or sway bar bushings but it never got fixed for me - now i am out of warranty so i will get an indy to look at it next winter.

Please update this thread on what was the fix.

Canadian audi dealers are working to get out of doing warranty work more and more... terrible!!!
Old 03-22-2018, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by porksoda
funny enough i had this problem with my car... the foreman said he took the whole suspension out and put it back together and re tightened everything and i still had the knock. My car has 19k on it, it usually happens in cold months and summer its fine. I suspected it was either front strut bushings or sway bar bushings but it never got fixed for me - now i am out of warranty so i will get an indy to look at it next winter.

Please update this thread on what was the fix.

Canadian audi dealers are working to get out of doing warranty work more and more... terrible!!!
I live in So. Fla so it's summer all year long here. BTW, why at only 19K miles are you out of warranty? It's my understanding this should be covered under the 4yr/50k.

Quick Reply: Knocking front suspension