Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Lease end brake job

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lease end brake job

Hey Everyone,

Long time lurker here. Found so much great information over the years!

I brought my 2014 A6 TDI in today for my state inspection, and it flunked due to corroded brake rotors both front and rear. The car only has 33,900 miles on it. The service advisor also said I had to replace the brake pads at the same time since they were "matched". I was shocked by this since the pad sensors have not gone off, I don't have squealing, vibration, or judder. To add insult to injury, the dealership wanted $1600 big ones to do the work!!!! OUCH!

On the way home, I stopped by an indy shop that I trust and they threw it on the lift. The brake rotors are indeed toast.

My question is, should I replace the brake rotors and pads with OEM? Does anyone have a recommendation for something better or decent and cheaper? Is the dealership way off with their price quote? Is this a typical lifespan for a garaged car?

I take great care of my cars with Audi Care services, frequent professional detailing, and keep them spotless.

To make matters worse, I had to replace the Pirelli all season tires that came with the car. I knew they were wearing poorly and I only got 20,000 miles out of them since I swap back and forth to winters.

This is a hard bill to take just to turn the car in!
Old 04-17-2017, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

First - where do you live?

Second - Many people will flame me for saying this, but you can get lifetime guaranteed rotors from Autozone for $50 each.

Then, it will take 1 or 2 hours maximum to do the job at the shop.

You can run the old pads on the new rotors. They will wear in and match perfectly within a few days. They will not 100% match OEM specified performance for those couple days, but you will be fine, and pads and rotors get changed all the time without changing both.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If you can't find inexpensive rotors, have the OEM rotors turned down.

I checked Advance Auto Parts. Front rotors are $75 each. Rear rotors are $60 each. order online and pick up at the store.

They also carry Zimmermann Coat-Z Front Brake Disc for those shopping around.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
If you can't find inexpensive rotors, have the OEM rotors turned down.

I checked Advance Auto Parts. Front rotors are $75 each. Rear rotors are $60 each. order online and pick up at the store.

They also carry Zimmermann Coat-Z Front Brake Disc for those shopping around.
Amazon has some centric rears at $32 each and fronts at $45. No way I'd do $1600 in brakes before turning it in!
Old 04-18-2017, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 50pascals
First - where do you live?

Second - Many people will flame me for saying this, but you can get lifetime guaranteed rotors from Autozone for $50 each.

Then, it will take 1 or 2 hours maximum to do the job at the shop.

You can run the old pads on the new rotors. They will wear in and match perfectly within a few days. They will not 100% match OEM specified performance for those couple days, but you will be fine, and pads and rotors get changed all the time without changing both.
I live in Vermont. The road salt just killed the OEM rotors.

I see there are many choices for sizes for the rotors. Am I looking for the 345mm fronts and 330mm rears?
Old 04-18-2017, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. The notion that the pads need to match the rotors does not even make sense. Think it through - how would it? The pads are either good or bad. I find it interesting that you are not commenting on the rotors pulsing. What defined them as "toast"? There is a difference between them being corroded and being out of spec (I assume they were measured and where not thick enough). Where was the corrosion? For what people are finding rotors for that may not even be an issue, but I'm trying to understand.

Here in Texas I've never even seen them look at the brakes. They just drive the vehicle into the service bay and if it stops they say the brakes are fine.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jjsC6
I agree. The notion that the pads need to match the rotors does not even make sense. Think it through - how would it? The pads are either good or bad. I find it interesting that you are not commenting on the rotors pulsing. What defined them as "toast"? There is a difference between them being corroded and being out of spec (I assume they were measured and where not thick enough). Where was the corrosion? For what people are finding rotors for that may not even be an issue, but I'm trying to understand.

Here in Texas I've never even seen them look at the brakes. They just drive the vehicle into the service bay and if it stops they say the brakes are fine.
The rotors are shot because of excessive rust build up from road salt. I have never had this happen to another car and I have lived in Vermont for many years!
Old 04-18-2017, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

that sounds bizarre to me...like the state inspection tech was having a bad day...I grew up in Rochester NY and lived in CT for 8 years and never heard of corrosion on rotors as a reason to fail...Not at all calling out OP since that what he was told...I say the tech is misinformed.

OP, can you bring it somewhere else for inspection? Maybe take the rotors off and hit the non pad surface areas with some sandpaper and try for a re-inspection.

Only reason i could give for failing rotors are out of round or too thin.

Dos the car pulsate really badly when you apply the brakes?
Old 04-18-2017, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dc2002
that sounds bizarre to me...like the state inspection tech was having a bad day...I grew up in Rochester NY and lived in CT for 8 years and never heard of corrosion on rotors as a reason to fail...Not at all calling out OP since that what he was told...I say the tech is misinformed.
I live in NH and have been having cars inspected for close to 40 years and have never had it happen to me or anyone else I know...Really strange.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
I live in NH and have been having cars inspected for close to 40 years and have had it happen to me or anyone else I know...Really strange.
That is the way I feel too. I made an appointment with another Audi dealer a couple of hours away for a second opinion.

Quick Reply: Lease end brake job