Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

LED DRL Discoloration

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default LED DRL Discoloration

I’ve got a 2016 with full led lighting package. The DRLs seem white on the outside but where they taper together towards the grille they begin to turn yellow. To the untrained eye people would shrug it off if they could even see it. To me it’s glaringly obvious and drives me nuts. Does anyone else have this issue? Is it possible to switch out the leds themselves or is it a power issue? I wanna get these bright white again but don’t wanna spend $6000 on headlights. -_- Thanks for any help/direction.

Last edited by FA8L; 03-27-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone?
Old 03-27-2019, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led Power

I think the leds are losing their power. I have a similar problem. Mine is 2011 c7, the passenger side has a yellow-white colour but the driver side is white which is replaced 7 months ago due to a small accident . So I gave the passenger side for a professional cleaning but they warned me that it will not change because it is not dust giving this yellow-white colour, it is led power which is 8 years old. But yours look a little bit too soon...
Old 03-27-2019, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

So your whole headlight was replaced? I want to just replace whatever is driving that power but I don’t think that’s possible. On a 2011 is start to expect it like you said but on a car that just hit 3 years old is a bit absurd.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Photos

White

Yellow-white
Old 12-18-2019, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue on b8.5

I have the same issue on my passenger headlight in my S4. That DRL is yellowish towards the grill. The other is bright white. I actually purchased a spare AFS headlight and moved over the modules and it was the same color. So I ordered the DRL controller and replaced that. To my surprise it did not change a thing. Still perplexed...
The following users liked this post:
aykutalp (12-19-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've been told that the audi changes the Kelvin number for each production that the buyer should buy them pairs 😀
Old 02-22-2020, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

2015 A6 c7 premium plus pre-facelift

I have the same issue starting to happen... passenger side is starting to clearly turn yellow.

I've looked around and haven't found info on a fix, besides a new headlight.

Usually LED's last a VERY long time and its only a 5 year old car. Not sure if LEDs in cars are different.

Could it be the ballast going bad? Or is that just for the HID bulbs?
Old 10-20-2021, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blocket
I have the same issue on my passenger headlight in my S4. That DRL is yellowish towards the grill. The other is bright white. I actually purchased a spare AFS headlight and moved over the modules and it was the same color. So I ordered the DRL controller and replaced that. To my surprise it did not change a thing. Still perplexed...
Hi I know its an old thread but just wanted to put some info here for anyone else looking for info since it doesn't appear VW group is going to change anything. I have a 2014 A4 B 8.5 and i had the same issue. This happens for one of two reasons or both. First I have to explain what happens the DRL strips are actually just plastic and on each headlamp there are two LED's (very tiny ones i might add) that simply shine light from one end of the plastic strip to the other. So the first thing that happens is the LED's start getting weak and are unable to shine bright enough for the light to travel end to end with the same brightness. Second issue is the plastic used by VW group is not the best so over time with the heat from the headlamp and sunshine the plastic strips themselves begin to to discolor so even if your LED still has enough juice the yellowing will still be there. Sadly the LED's are not sold as a replacement part nor is the DRL plastic strip. VW group solution change the entire headlamp but the same thing will happen again in a few years unless they upgrade the parts. I got my headlamps customized with by having them opened and installing real lead strips resealing the headlamps and installing error cancelling ballasts. They look great and bright and white but that was the only solution wasn't going to purchase two expensive headlamps and the problem will occur. I have the old parts but didn't get chance to take upload photos. I'm in Trinidad (Caribbean) I'm sure there are guys in the US, UK , EU, AUS CAN, that can do similar. But guys its not a ballast or controller issue so don't waste your hard earned money.

Hope this helps.
The following 4 users liked this post by drecon23:
AAK007 (11-02-2021), Chrome412 (03-09-2023), El Magnifico (01-31-2023), mikemis (10-20-2021)
Old 01-21-2023, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default LED

I've got the same issue with the right side. Did anyone find a solution to this or replacement of the entire headlight is the only option?