Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

LED vs. Xenon

Old 06-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED vs. Xenon

Just got back from the dealer today and got a chance to see the 2012 A6. This has raised some serious issues for me regarding the types of headlamps offered on the different models of the A6.

According to official Audi released info (including on sticker):

A6 Premium: Halogen headlights with integrated high and low beams and daytime running lights
A6 Premium Plus: Audi adaptive xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights
A6 Prestige: Audi adaptive xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights

I saw a Prestige without LED or innovation package. Sticker listed "Audi adaptive xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights." It was side by side with a Prestige with innovation package. THE HEADLAMPS WERE IDENTICAL!

The dealer swore to me that the lamps on the Prestige demo without innovation were LED. They looked like LED - even on. They even had cooling fans installed!

I attached the pics of the vehicles I saw with the headlamps, per the Audi configurator. The first pic is the type of headlamp I saw. The second is the expected look for "Audi adaptive xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights" according to the configurator. Definitely not what I saw.

What am I missing?
Attached Images   
Old 06-27-2011, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Teddyoh,
The headlamps may have looked similar but if you look closely at the two photos you posted, the bottom one has the LED daytime running strip at the bottom of the light housing, but it also has 2 xenon-light bulbs just above the LED strip. Those are the "adaptive bi-xenon" headlamps that come standard on a Prestige package A6 and are used to light the road at night.

The first photo shows the same LED strip on the bottom of the light housing, but above that strip there is another strip of LED lights used for lighting the road as headlamps.

Check out this video of the A8 with the LED lighting package to get a close-up view of the difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC9SZSvlpMA

Let me know if my response wasn't clear. Hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cavman, you are correct. The second photo I posted is NOT LED. It is the Xenon headlamps. My post may not have been clear. There were 2 demo A6's at my dealer.

I posted the second photo to show what was NOT in the 2012 A6 Prestige demo that I saw. The demo model I saw was equipped as follows for an MSRP of $59,630.

Prestige
18" Sport
Side assist
Metallic paint
Destination

According to that sticker, which was physically posted on the car, the headlights should have been LED DRL and adaptive Bi-xenon headlamps. However, they looked like the FIRST picture I posted, and were identical to a fully loaded 2nd demo car that had innovation package, thus LED headlamps.

Dealer couldn't explain and wondered if there was a difference in US vs. European options on the Prestige.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is a special "launch varient" thing. The same thing occured with the A7.

The Prestige's included LED headlights (not advertised) even though they did not have Innovation or LED package. If you find one on a dealer lot like this, you luck out.

If you're ordering, you need to pay for them otherwise your Prestige will come with Xenon's (as advertised). If you ordered very early on (first production pull) you also lucked out and got them free if you didnt pay for them and got a Prestige.

All the new A7's hitting the dealers now that are Prestige are coming with the advertised Xenon's. The first allocations they got all had LED's on Prestige regardless of Innovation/LED pkg's. I'll eat my hat if the A6 isnt the same deal.

Edit: To add, the special "launch" cars that had this will have a line on the window sticker option list that says "CORPORATE" with a $0 charge.

Last edited by CharlieSlasher; 06-27-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Bummer! Missed out on some free LED headlight upgrades!! What are they - like $1800 or something?? Nice!
Old 06-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CharlieSlasher
This is a special "launch varient" thing. The same thing occured with the A7.
Ohhhhh yeaaaahhhhhh!

Good to get something free for being the eager early bird! I ordered mine back on Feb 1, and it is on the truck somewhere in America. Should be at the dealer any day now - with my beautiful LED headlamps!

I previously posted asking what the "S03 LAUNCH MARKET INTRODUCTION" item was on my final specs. I guess this is it. I wonder if the launch variants have any other cool surprises. The only other thing that wasn't entirely clear in the variant info said that prestige models would include S-Line bumpers, grill, badges. That would be a nice bonus as well!