Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Looking for C7 advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for C7 advice

Hello there, so i have plans to upgrade my current car a 2006 VW Passat 2.0t to an 2013/2014 Audi A6 2.0t FWD i know it is a crazy jump from one car to the other because i'm used to this type of engine and i like to save fuel, i don't mind if it goes a little bit slow but i have a few worries

As it seems most of the cars out there in the used market are 3.0t V6 and Quattro aka AWD and i have read that this type of engine is not very reliable that it provokes a lot of carbon buildup and burns out oil like crazy and the AWD burns tires like crazy, so is it true? What kind of maintenance should i be prepared to do and how often? What trim is better? If 3.0 V6 isn't the option what about 2.0t FWD vs 2.0t AWD?

I want a car that is a joy to drive and problem free with a very good and detailed maintenance. Looking for owners experiences and advice.

Thank you.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Andrew, you’ve posted in the C6 generation subforum, which covers cars up to 2011 model year. You really want the C7 subforum, which is here

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...iscussion-194/

So I suggest you make a new post over there. FWIW though, I think the problems you’ve read about are much exaggerated. I have a quattro audi and have never noticed it burning tyres “like crazy”! And the FSI engines are prone to carbon build up on intakes, but cleaning them once every 100k miles or so will deal with that, so it’s not much of a problem. As ever, everything becomes exaggerated and overblown on the internet!
Old 06-20-2019, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Sverige
Hi Andrew, you’ve posted in the C6 generation subforum, which covers cars up to 2011 model year. You really want the C7 subforum, which is here

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...iscussion-194/

So I suggest you make a new post over there. FWIW though, I think the problems you’ve read about are much exaggerated. I have a quattro audi and have never noticed it burning tyres “like crazy”! And the FSI engines are prone to carbon build up on intakes, but cleaning them once every 100k miles or so will deal with that, so it’s not much of a problem. As ever, everything becomes exaggerated and overblown on the internet!
Sorry for that and thank you for your answer.

I read the C5 as up to 2011 and C6 was up to 2015, seems that i was wrong lol.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Andy, no, the C6 ended in 2011MY for the USA.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Looking for advice

Hello there, so i have plans to upgrade my current car a 2006 VW Passat 2.0t to an 2013/2014 Audi A6 2.0t FWD i know it is a crazy jump from one car to the other because i'm used to this type of engine and i like to save fuel, i don't mind if it goes a little bit slow but i have a few worries

As it seems most of the cars out there in the used market are 3.0t V6 and Quattro aka AWD and i have read that this type of engine is not very reliable that it provokes a lot of carbon buildup and burns out oil like crazy and the AWD burns tires and if one tire goes flat i'll have to change all four of them? So is it true? What kind of maintenance should i be prepared to do and how often? What trim is better? If 3.0 V6 isn't the option what about 2.0t FWD vs 2.0t AWD?

Don't care about how fast it is.

I want a car that is a joy to drive and problem free with a very good and detailed maintenance. Looking for owners experiences and advice.

Thank you.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Andrew Holmes

As it seems most of the cars out there in the used market are 3.0t V6 and Quattro aka AWD and i have read that this type of engine is not very reliable that it provokes a lot of carbon buildup and burns out oil like crazy and the AWD burns tires and if one tire goes flat i'll have to change all four of them? So is it true? What kind of maintenance should i be prepared to do and how often? What trim is better? If 3.0 V6 isn't the option what about 2.0t FWD vs 2.0t AWD?

Don't care about how fast it is.

Thank you.
Ignore this, i do not know why it double posted.

Any help is appreciated now that this has been moved to the correct forum.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

A6 C7 2.0L is a solid car, IMO. The 2013+ 2.0L does not have any of the oil consumption problems of older cars or 3.0. The turbo is at least 1/2 the maintenance/repair cost of the 3.0 compressor. If you don't mind not having the biggest engine on the block, C7 version 2.0L of A6 is a great choice, I like mine, but then, I'm never trying to beat the Vette beside me....
Old 06-20-2019, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew Holmes
Ignore this, i do not know why it double posted.

Any help is appreciated now that this has been moved to the correct forum.
I combined your cross-posting.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curiously most of what I've read errs for the 3.0t being the more reliable engine and my local VW/Audi guru (always has about ten of 'em in pieces in his shop whenever I go in / more Vws than Audis) is still convinced the 2.0 tfsi is prone to oil consumption issues. Hate to tempt fate by saying this but I've had my 2015 3.0t a year and a half and haven't had to add a drop of oil between changes, two oil changes occurring during that period. Used various Super gasolines in the first few months and tailpipes were kinda sooty but for the past year and a quarter only used Shell Nitro and they've stayed remarkably soot free during that time.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

No oil burning/adding oil here and I'm approaching 35k.

Quick Reply: Looking for C7 advice