Looking at a used 2012 A6 3.0T with 86K, any reason to be weary? - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion
Reload this Page > Looking at a used 2012 A6 3.0T with 86K, any reason to be weary?
Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a used 2012 A6 3.0T with 86K, any reason to be weary?

Reply

 
 
Old 07-17-2017, 04:37 AM
  #1
AudiWorld Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,311
Default Looking at a used 2012 A6 3.0T with 86K, any reason to be weary?

I've had two audis in the past so i know the maintenance requirements with audis, but are these C7's pretty good even with miles? I'd plan on a PPI but it's a 1 owner car in FL, everything I've seen looks good so far and it's priced really well. Has anyone bought a C7 with relatively high miles and been good?
LMSI-G35X is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:10 AM
  #2
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 12
Default

My 2012 3.0 Quattro Prestige has 95K on it and it's running great. Make sure it has all its recall fixes as well as scheduled maintenance.
dneal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:30 AM
  #3
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 191
Default

Yes i would stay away if you can not get a hold of the maintenance history.

I would want to know if it has the plastic or metal water pump, someone should be able to tell you that. I would be concerned if it still had the plastic one.

Only other 3 things that you would be faced with even will a well maintained example would be:
1. Engine mounts - seems like right around 100K is time for replacement - probably $1500 at a good indy shop
2. Carbon build up on intake valves - seems like well into 100K is when you really need to do this.
3. Thermostat - maybe a non issue but you have to pull the SC to get to it.

It would very likely make sense to do the valve cleaning at the same time as the thermostat so whichever job needs attention first would drive that need. My understanding is that when the thermostat fails it fails closed so you have limited time to crank the heat up and pull over before it overheats.

Engine mounts once the car start throwing codes.

IF all that checks out i say go for it! This has been my favorite car so far.
dc2002 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:57 PM
  #4
AudiWorld Member
 
Nakedhoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 335
Default

I would worry more about how comfortable the seats are for falling asleep if you're weary.
Nakedhoof is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:21 AM
  #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 906
Default

Based on my C6 I would assume these will likely apply. After 125k miles I wouldn't want to own one.


In addition to what the others have mentioned:

Valve cover gaskets (mine already have a small leak at 75k)
Timing Chain gaskets
Timing Chain tensioner
Tail light failure
ABS issues
Misc electrical issues
r1racer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:29 AM
  #6
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 319
Default

Originally Posted by dc2002 View Post
Yes i would stay away if you can not get a hold of the maintenance history.

I would want to know if it has the plastic or metal water pump, someone should be able to tell you that. I would be concerned if it still had the plastic one.

Only other 3 things that you would be faced with even will a well maintained example would be:
1. Engine mounts - seems like right around 100K is time for replacement - probably $1500 at a good indy shop
2. Carbon build up on intake valves - seems like well into 100K is when you really need to do this.
3. Thermostat - maybe a non issue but you have to pull the SC to get to it.

It would very likely make sense to do the valve cleaning at the same time as the thermostat so whichever job needs attention first would drive that need. My understanding is that when the thermostat fails it fails closed so you have limited time to crank the heat up and pull over before it overheats.

Engine mounts once the car start throwing codes.

IF all that checks out i say go for it! This has been my favorite car so far.

On the water pump when you said I would be concerned if it still had the plastic one. Is this something Audi has been replacing on it's own or it needs to be replaced when it fails?
NoVA_A6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:37 AM
  #7
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 906
Default

Originally Posted by NoVA_A6 View Post
On the water pump when you said I would be concerned if it still had the plastic one. Is this something Audi has been replacing on it's own or it needs to be replaced when it fails?
I believe only if it fails while under warranty otherwise you're stuck with the bill...big bucks to fix as well because of it's location.

At 86k it would probably have failed and been replaced by now if it were one of the bad parts. Wouldn't worry too much about that. Just be prepared to put away a grand or two per year just in case.
r1racer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:07 AM
  #8
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 319
Default

Originally Posted by r1racer View Post
I believe only if it fails while under warranty otherwise you're stuck with the bill...big bucks to fix as well because of it's location.

At 86k it would probably have failed and been replaced by now if it were one of the bad parts. Wouldn't worry too much about that. Just be prepared to put away a grand or two per year just in case.
Yikes, I just picked up a 2012 with 27k miles on it. Unfortunately it's out of warranty due to it's age note mileage. I'll have to see if mine was ever replaced.
NoVA_A6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:46 AM
  #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 906
Default

Originally Posted by NoVA_A6 View Post
Yikes, I just picked up a 2012 with 27k miles on it. Unfortunately it's out of warranty due to it's age note mileage. I'll have to see if mine was ever replaced.
I was referring to the thermostat...water pump is not hard to get to.
r1racer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:57 AM
  #10
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 319
Default

Originally Posted by r1racer View Post
I was referring to the thermostat...water pump is not hard to get to.
Cool, thanks!
NoVA_A6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:44 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: