Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Loud strange rolling noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud strange rolling noise

Hello all, it's been quite a while since my last post here. My good old MY12 A6 C7 3.0 with just over 25k miles, has recently started to make a loud (low pitch) noise while rolling. It starts at about 10 mph and gets louder with speed. My initial guess was a bad wheel bearing, like the countless reports for this model, but it appears to come from the middle of the car. Since the nearest Audi dealer is located about 150 miles away, I took it to a local mechanic who tells me it could be a "failed driveshaft support bearing".

I could not find any references to this issue on the A6 C7 and neither my dealer when I called them earlier today. I wouldn't dare to drive at highway speeds to the dealer for diagnostics and repair with this kind of noise, so it would probably need to be towed ($$$). Any thoughts or ideas about the driveshaft support bearing or other probable culprit?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 04-25-2019, 08:38 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

That sounds about right. Not a common thing to fail but I have heard of it failing before. It was more of an issue on older models like B5.
i know you may not want to try this but you could spray the center support bearing with some lube to see if noise changes then at least you’d know for sure.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
<snip>...
i know you may not want to try this but you could spray the center support bearing with some lube to see if noise changes then at least you’d know for sure.
Thanks gk1, a very good tip. I will give it a shot next week when I get back home and report my findings - and possibly pictures - here.

Cheers,
Bill