Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Low dust/low noise brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Low dust/low noise brake pads

Does anyone have any recommendations for some low dust and low noise pads for my C7. I've had it since last April and the noise was really annoying and the dust was just incredible. I don't know what kind of pads were used before but I think it's almost time to change them so I would like a better option.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been using akebono pads on my past A4 and current A6, minimal dust and haven't heard any squeaking as of yet. It's a night and day comparison when comparing these to oem pads. I actually changed out 3/4 life oem pads to akebonos to stop the dust issues.
im sure there are other options, but I have only used akebono so it's the only one I could recommend.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I think pad selection becomes a very personal issue when you factor in what's acceptable (bad dust) measured against clean pads and their reduced braking performance (ceramic pads). I've tried a lot of the main stream offerings and have yet to find anything that's very clean and also stops the car without very high pedal effort. Everything is a compromise.

Over the past year I've fitted a Raybestos hybrid pad (part ceramic, part semi-metallic) to three of our vehicles. They're extraordinarily clean, but I feel the semi-metallic content should be higher. I'd like to see slightly better braking performance from them. Right now, I think they're the best compromise I've sampled:

https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybes...ent3-pads.html

Forum member Reggie discovered a pad from Centric that's semi-metallic composition (part number begins with 104.xxxxxx), offers great stopping performance and generate 50% less dust than a traditional OE European pad. I've purchased several sets of these and they're also a good solution.

Audi has fitted ceramic pads (very clean) to their low-performing cars in the USA and still install hi-performing pads (very dirty) to the performance cars.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Got_boost
I have been using akebono pads on my past A4 and current A6, minimal dust and haven't heard any squeaking as of yet. It's a night and day comparison when comparing these to oem pads. I actually changed out 3/4 life oem pads to akebonos to stop the dust issues.
im sure there are other options, but I have only used akebono so it's the only one I could recommend.
+1 Akebono and Zimmermann combo