Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

In the market for a A6

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll add my 2 cents as I went into this with my eyes wide opened but under a bit of duress (which it turns out, was not necessary so now I own a 2013 A6 3.0 along with three other cars)....

When you buy a car like this, when it comes time to repair something, it will cost you money. Like me and others here, there are many things we can do ourselves to ease the blow (I don't think anyone saves money doing oil changes anymore but that's just me). You will spend money and you may find that amount spent to be painful. So, be prepared.

Now the good part, I can well afford this car and chose to go pre-owned and take the risk. Like others (VR6eric), we do the best we can to find exactly what suits us by price, mileage, condition, etc. The problem that many of us have is that the A6 is a relatively rare beast. I am in Madison, WI and I traveled to Chicago to buy mine (one owner, leaseback just outside of warranty). With that said... take your time. Follow the advice of having things checked out. Any "dealer" that doesn't allow that? Walk away. Use what might be an issue to your advantage for leverage. It doesn't mean it's a bad car but there may be a problem that can be easily fixed... but why pay for it at full price afterwards.

As for engine? I am a fan of a 6 cylinder. I concur that the 3.0 is a great piece of mechanical wonder. I am eeking out 31 mpg with an average speed of over 58 mph. When I need a little oomph... it's simply there.

As others wrote, the 2012 was the first year of the C7 platform. I have this thing about the first year of anything. I sold one of my children because they were under the age of one. I have no regrets. The '13 adds a thermal management system and an eco mode (engine off with a hard pressed brake at traffic lights). Some hate that. Me? I'm at a freakin' traffic light! Where am I going? Why do I need to spend money that can be saved to replace a "put your favorite expensive part here"? So, that '13 feature is just fine for me. Is it worth the extra dollars? Possibly not... but when fuel hits $4.50? Maybe so.

Anyway... it's a bit "old man sedan" for some. It's a comfortable ride but not as nice as an E-class Benz, it's got guts to have fun (and tunes can make it even more fun), and the fit and finish is really very nice. My only concern is that I truly do want/need MMI and NAV updates and the cost is truly robbery. It's completely offensive. If you can find something just within Warranty and leverage those updates under Warranty, you win there.

Good luck. Take your time. Make sure everything works before you sign. Don't spend more than what you can really afford (a life lesson for anything).

AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PullUpInAudi1
* Is there a big difference from a 2012 vs 2013?
* Does the price justify getting a 2013 instead?
* What should I know about the A6 maintenance wise and what should I check before buying?
* What's your least favorite/one thing you could change about your A6?
I have a 2012 2.0T CVT with 55k mi and love it. The engine and transmission have been completely reliable. Doesn't burn oil even with 10k mi intervals. However, 2012s have a faulty AC pressure switch that leaks, so mine was replaced with a revised part under warranty.

Here is a summary of the maintenance schedule:

15,000 miles
- oil and filter change
- cabin air filter

25,000 miles
- oil and filter change
- brake fluid change (every 2 years)

35,000 miles
- oil and filter change
- cabin air filter
- 2.0T spark plug change
- CVT transmission fluid change

45,000 miles
- oil and filter change

55,000 miles
- oil and filter change
- 3.0T spark plug change
- 3.0T front supercharger belt
- engine air filter
- cabin air filter

65,000 miles
- oil and filter change

75,000 miles
- oil and filter change
- cabin air filter
- 3.0T rear serpentine belt or 2.0T belt (check, replace if necessary)
- 2.0T spark plug change
- CVT transmission fluid change

The 55k mi is major for the 3.0T with spark plugs and supercharger belt. If you can DIY you'll save a lot. I just did the 55k on my 2.0T myself and here are the parts prices (all OEM):
- Oil filter $9.35
- Castrol Edge Euro Formula 0W-40 5 qt $22.97 (used 4.9 qt)
- Air filter $19.76
- Cabin air filter $33.44
- Wiper blades $36.48
- Brake fluid by an independent mechanic shop for $120

Brake pads and rotors can get expensive depending on your usage. You're supposed to plug into the car to retract the rear electric parking brake.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mmm....Moonlight Blue Metallic w/ Nougat Brown interior and Black Optics.... It's like car **** to my ears. And don't get me started on that sound system. When you're ready to sell, inbox me! ;-)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Bomber
Mmm....Moonlight Blue Metallic w/ Nougat Brown interior and Black Optics.... It's like car **** to my ears. And don't get me started on that sound system. When you're ready to sell, inbox me! ;-)
Too funny! Thanks!
Old 04-01-2017, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by audiv8q
The biggest difference is between the Premier / Premier Plus and the Prestige.
Only the Prestige has the upgraded seats.
That would be the Premium / Premium Plus and Prestige.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by oldAGE
I'll add my 2 cents as I went into this with my eyes wide opened but under a bit of duress (which it turns out, was not necessary so now I own a 2013 A6 3.0 along with three other cars)....

When you buy a car like this, when it comes time to repair something, it will cost you money. Like me and others here, there are many things we can do ourselves to ease the blow (I don't think anyone saves money doing oil changes anymore but that's just me). You will spend money and you may find that amount spent to be painful. So, be prepared.

Now the good part, I can well afford this car and chose to go pre-owned and take the risk. Like others (VR6eric), we do the best we can to find exactly what suits us by price, mileage, condition, etc. The problem that many of us have is that the A6 is a relatively rare beast. I am in Madison, WI and I traveled to Chicago to buy mine (one owner, leaseback just outside of warranty). With that said... take your time. Follow the advice of having things checked out. Any "dealer" that doesn't allow that? Walk away. Use what might be an issue to your advantage for leverage. It doesn't mean it's a bad car but there may be a problem that can be easily fixed... but why pay for it at full price afterwards.

As for engine? I am a fan of a 6 cylinder. I concur that the 3.0 is a great piece of mechanical wonder. I am eeking out 31 mpg with an average speed of over 58 mph. When I need a little oomph... it's simply there.

As others wrote, the 2012 was the first year of the C7 platform. I have this thing about the first year of anything. I sold one of my children because they were under the age of one. I have no regrets. The '13 adds a thermal management system and an eco mode (engine off with a hard pressed brake at traffic lights). Some hate that. Me? I'm at a freakin' traffic light! Where am I going? Why do I need to spend money that can be saved to replace a "put your favorite expensive part here"? So, that '13 feature is just fine for me. Is it worth the extra dollars? Possibly not... but when fuel hits $4.50? Maybe so.

Anyway... it's a bit "old man sedan" for some. It's a comfortable ride but not as nice as an E-class Benz, it's got guts to have fun (and tunes can make it even more fun), and the fit and finish is really very nice. My only concern is that I truly do want/need MMI and NAV updates and the cost is truly robbery. It's completely offensive. If you can find something just within Warranty and leverage those updates under Warranty, you win there.

Good luck. Take your time. Make sure everything works before you sign. Don't spend more than what you can really afford (a life lesson for anything).

Old -- 65 is the new 50! Not sure I agree that the A6 is an old man sedan. I prefer to refer to it as a Q-ship. There is a guy at my old office (a real a-hole) who drives an A4 and refers to the A6 as an old man's car. I've always found the A4 to be nothing special -- the A6 is an entirely different class of automobile. Better than the A4 in all respects.

Best,
Jeff

PS hope you are still enjoying your new ride!
Old 04-03-2017, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have driven the new A4. It is based on the new MLB platform and has some improvements over my 2016 A6. The new A4 with the same 2.0L engine is quieter. The car seems more solid as well. I expect that when the A6 finally moves to the MLB platform it too will see these improvements. The A6 will finally move to a turbocharged six rather than the supercharged six. This should improve performance. The 2.0 however, seems to be the VAG groups' go-to engine now as it appears tn the A6, A4, A5, Q5, Q7, Porsche Macan and, I am sure, in the new VW sedan and SUV.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Fahrer, progress is good. My comments were as you probably knew addressed to the B8 A4. I wonder about the turbo V6 vs the S/C V6 in the 3.0T now. I find the S/C engine to be a joy -- feels to me like driving a good old American V8 of years back -- instant pull, no waiting for a turbo to spool up. I drove the new Infiniti Q50 with the 3 litre twin turbo engine and was shocked at what I perceived to be no turbo lag. Hopefully the Audi V6 w/turbo will be similar. Cars are just getting better and better but the prices are becoming somewhat breathtaking. Even though I can, it is really difficult for me to drop north of 50 large on a car.

Best,
Jeff
Old 04-05-2017, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
Fahrer, progress is good. My comments were as you probably knew addressed to the B8 A4. I wonder about the turbo V6 vs the S/C V6 in the 3.0T now. I find the S/C engine to be a joy -- feels to me like driving a good old American V8 of years back -- instant pull, no waiting for a turbo to spool up. I drove the new Infiniti Q50 with the 3 litre twin turbo engine and was shocked at what I perceived to be no turbo lag. Hopefully the Audi V6 w/turbo will be similar. Cars are just getting better and better but the prices are becoming somewhat breathtaking. Even though I can, it is really difficult for me to drop north of 50 large on a car.

Best,
Jeff
Modern turbochargers are smaller and spool up very quickly. This is why a turbo get maximum torque starting at 1200 to 1500 rpm and is stays there until about 4000 to 5000 rpm with little or no lag. The torque curve with a supercharger increases more progressively so that the torque peak occurs more typically at 2500 - 3000 rpm. The current supercharged V6 engine was a stopgap until the new twin turbo arrives. It should arrive soon. My 1.8T Golf gets max torque ( 200 lb-ft) at at about 1500 rpm so the engine runs all day at 1200 to 2000 rpm and pulls strongly like a bigger engine. The same ting happens with the 2.0 in my A6.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So is the new V6 twin turbo? If it is anything like the Nissan 3.0 twin turbo it should be a delight. As for the S/C engine, it has plenty of push for me. I just don't drive all that fast/aggressively these days. What I like is to have good midrange power and to know that at 70-80 mph there is a sizeable reserve of power if needed. As such, the S/C engine in the A6 works well for me. Will be interesting to see what the new turbo engine is like.

Best,
Jeff

Quick Reply: In the market for a A6