Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

MIL-TDI

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MIL-TDI

My MIL was on, 2014 TDI with just under 20,000 miles. Took it to the dealer, the issue was a bad Adblue sensor. Replaced Adblue delivery unit assembly under warranty. Thought I would post since I hadn't seen this issue before.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Diesel cars: Is it time to switch to a cleaner fuel? - BBC News

Your polluting diesel?
Old 07-17-2015, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Interesting point there, DB22. It really was a constructive comment to the original post.

More interesting is the intentionally misleading BBC title you chose to quote. Referring to the original study that this article was based upon, it became immediately evident that the study was based solely on diesel vehicles, with no real or implied comparison to comparable studies performed on gasoline engines.

The main findings of the assessment are consistent with the existing body of evidence indicating that modern diesel passenger cars have low on-road emissions of carbon monoxide (CO) and total hydrocarbons (THC), but an unsatisfactory real-world emission profile of nitrogen oxides (NOX).

Particulate matter (PM) and particle number (PN) measurements were absent from most of the the study datasets and were excluded from the report.

However, the exhaust fumes from gasoline vehicles contribute more to the production of a specific type of air pollution -- secondary organic aerosols (SOA) -- than those from diesel vehicles, according to a study by scientists from the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES), NOAA's Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL) and others.

Emissions from gas burners have been dramatically reduced by catalytic converters, which oxidize pollutants such as CO to less harmful gases such as CO2. However, gas cars with catalysts still produce more CO and HC than diesel cars, although exhaust emissions of NOx and particulates are much lower than diesel cars. The study cited by the BBC article didn't examine particulates. It is arguable than most particulates originate from brake wear/dust, tire wear, and even road wear.

Now, moving forward. ALL of our Audis pollute one way or the other. Thanks for the heads-up on the adblue sensor from the original poster.

Respectfully submitted with a nod to Bob Is The Oil Guy Forums.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Bush league move, but not unexpected. 🙈
Old 07-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
I reviewed the article and could not find any information that explains the OP's Adblue sensor failure.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Bush league move, but not unexpected. 🙈
Agree.

In respect to our cars, the article states "Carmakers have recognised this and modern diesel cars are fitted with extremely effective filters that stop almost all of this carcinogenic soot entering the atmosphere."

All I have to do is look at the exhaust tips on my TDI vs my prior 3.0T to realize how much cleaner the TDI is in terms of emissions. After 29k miles, the tips on my TDI barely have any soot on them and you can still see the chrome (with only an occasional effort to sponge them off when cleaning the car). By comparison, the tips on my 3.0T were always covered in soot and I got to the point where I gave up trying to keep them clean.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I suppose with a failed adblue sensor there are more NOx emissions. Kinda like saying there are more emissions when you remove the cat or the smog pump from a gas car or if you "chip" your car!

Anyways, a good public service message from DB22. Please maintain your car to get the best emissions characteristics!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soobie23
My MIL was on, 2014 TDI with just under 20,000 miles. Took it to the dealer, the issue was a bad Adblue sensor. Replaced Adblue delivery unit assembly under warranty. Thought I would post since I hadn't seen this issue before.
I had mine in for the same thing at 7k miles. No big deal.