Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Mild steering wheel vibration at 35-50mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mild steering wheel vibration at 35-50mph

Hi everyone, i recently bought a salvage audi on copart and need some repairs done on it.
I have an issue that is more pronounced while driving speed range of 35-50mph - steering wheel is vibrating slightly and I can feel the vibration in the foot area and a slight wobbly noise coming from the front. Nothing major, but i like my cars to drive perfect. Steering wheel is straight and car doesn't drag to the left or right. No clunking noises. I did wheel balance before and after changing tires and wheel alignment after.
The right front wheel has a medium size dent on the lip, but i was told that the wheel could be balanced ok. Same side had a slightly bent fender.
The alignment couldn't be done perfectly also as you can see in the pictures.
Mechanic told me they aligned it as much as they could.
Car is '14 a6 3.0T with 44k miles.

I'm thinking maybe one of the control arms is bent, but not sure.
I'd appreciate any advice you may give!

Last edited by constantin_md; 05-25-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I would do a ROAD FORCE balance on the front wheels to make sure there is not a big run out of the tire greater than 10 lbs or the A6 will vibrate. The rim looks like its bent up badly on the outer rim and if you have them measure the runout on the hunter road force machine it will likely be out of spec and needs to be straightened or repaired. A regular balancing machine CANNOT do this.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for advice. I really hope it's the wheel that is causing it. I'll try to put the spare tire on tomorrow and see if feel any difference.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by constantin_md
Thanks for advice. I really hope it's the wheel that is causing it. I'll try to put the spare tire on tomorrow and see if feel any difference.

Sounds like a good idea. Process of elimination i guess. Is the spare a full size? I have had those kind of curb rashes from a small bump to the curb on my Lexus and I would feel slight vibration in the steering wheel when it was properly balanced so I had it hunter road force checked and it was out of round so I bought a new rim and vibration was gone.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think it's full size. Changing one rim is way cheaper than mechanic guessing what suspension or steering component is bent or faulty. I hope i'll get lucky tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Out of round or warped radial belts in tires is more common than one might think. A Hunter force balance should also reveal that.

The car was a salvage. Was it in an accident? If so, have you examined all the suspension components to ensure nothing is damaged? That the alignment couldn't be brought to spec could indicate something amiss.

Last edited by snagitseven; 05-25-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

you could rotate front to rear wheels and see if that eliminates as well...you may still feel it but not in the steering wheel.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Out of round or warped radial belts in tires is more common than one might think. A Hunter force balance should also reveal that.

The car was a salvage. Was it in an accident? If so, have you examined all the suspension components to ensure nothing is damaged? That the alignment couldn't be brought to spec could indicate something amiss.
Thanks for reply!
It had the same vibration with the old tires. I sent the picture of the wheel to 5 different wheel repair shops and one of them told me a piece of metal is missing on the lip so it can't be repaired. I'll do the Force Balance just to make sure the damaged lip is causing the vibration before buying a new wheel.
That 0.58 degree miss on the right camber worries me that some suspension parts could be bent. I did some research and many say that you can't really tell if a suspension component is bent unless you remove it and compare it with the other side.
If the vibration will persist after trying the spare wheel, i'll take it to a mechanic.

Last edited by constantin_md; 05-25-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by constantin_md
Thanks for reply!
It had the same vibration with the old tires. I sent the picture of the wheel to 5 different wheel repair shops and one of them told me a piece of metal is missing on the lip so it can't be repaired. I'll do the Force Balance just to make sure the damaged lip is causing the vibration before buying a new wheel.
That 0.58 degree miss on the right camber worries me that some suspension parts could be bent. I did some research and many say that you can't really tell if a suspension component is bent unless you remove it and compare it with the other side.
If the vibration will persist after trying the spare wheel, i'll take it to a mechanic.
FYI, I had a slight bent on outer rim on the Lexus 18 inch rims 10 years ago and would not be a major run out on the hunter machine but it kept vibrating at high frequency so replacing the rim would be the best bet especially if that rim has been chipped badly. I presumed the integrity of that rim is ruined from hitting the curb hard and putting the alignment out of spec.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I guess you are correct. That wheel has been badly chipped indeed.
I have just missed a great deal for a used one for $200 on ebay. Second cheapest is $350 for a remanufactured one which doesn't inspire too much credibility.

Quick Reply: Mild steering wheel vibration at 35-50mph