AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/)
-   -   MMI Oil Level Meter (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/mmi-oil-level-meter-2928401/)

Silver42 07-23-2017 07:54 AM

MMI Oil Level Meter

Hey folks,

Something sort of new I am dealing with - I searched but did not find anything. Over the last few months - The oil meter in MMI is not reporting levels. I get the standard wait 2 mins and then shut the car off and such. It never does respond. The last time it did this for awhile, I reset the MMI and then shortly after it started reporting. It worked after that. I just changed the oil or had service done last Friday and so far it has not reported once - just the message is appearing. I have reset the MMI again multiple times. Does that system take a bit to respond after any oil adds or changes?

Does anyone have any ideas? IS something related to that system failing or is a sending unit going / gone bad? Are there any tricks to get the system to re-initialize correctly? I have no problem getting a stick and doing it that way, but I like things working on the car.

I have a 2012 3.0T Prestige 65K miles.

Thanks for any help you all can provide!

newmoon 07-23-2017 08:07 AM

There could be a problem with a sensor, but also make sure you do not open the hood because doing so resets the measurement process.

537playing 07-23-2017 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Silver42 (Post 25009471)
Hey folks,

Something sort of new I am dealing with - I searched but did not find anything. Over the last few months - The oil meter in MMI is not reporting levels. I get the standard wait 2 mins and then shut the car off and such. It never does respond. The last time it did this for awhile, I reset the MMI and then shortly after it started reporting. It worked after that. I just changed the oil or had service done last Friday and so far it has not reported once - just the message is appearing. I have reset the MMI again multiple times. Does that system take a bit to respond after any oil adds or changes?

Does anyone have any ideas? IS something related to that system failing or is a sending unit going / gone bad? Are there any tricks to get the system to re-initialize correctly? I have no problem getting a stick and doing it that way, but I like things working on the car.

I have a 2012 3.0T Prestige 65K miles.

Thanks for any help you all can provide!

I would run the engine hot and park the car. Then pull up the oil level screen and keep it on. It tells you the jargon about waiting. Turn the engine off but don't fully shut down the car. After two minutes the screen will populate with your oil level.

uberwgn 07-23-2017 03:35 PM

Silver, the car has to accumulate some miles before the oil level will display after the hood has been opened.

I've found a variation on what is mentioned by 537:

Key on (engine not running)
Open the hood
Open the driver's door
Check the oil level MMI display after a minute or two and you should get a reading

Silver42 07-23-2017 06:12 PM

Thanks all - will try the methods listed!

irenesbob 07-23-2017 09:00 PM

The process from my dealer and owner’s manual is as follows:
• Run/drive car until it reaches operating temperature
• Stop, then turn engine off
• Turn the ignition only back on
• Wait 2 minutes
• Then select car, systems, service, etc. to see the oil level
Doing things in this order, the function has always worked for me.

Silver42 07-25-2017 06:51 AM

you guys were right on!

After my commute yesterday I parked at work and shut the engine off - waited and BOOM there is the meter. I am thinking after the hood / oil-change from service and such....it just takes awhile for that system to report and function (As you all stated...) now I know and won't get bummed!

thanks again

irenesbob 07-25-2017 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Silver42 (Post 25010539)
you guys were right on!

After my commute yesterday I parked at work and shut the engine off - waited and BOOM there is the meter. I am thinking after the hood / oil-change from service and such....it just takes awhile for that system to report and function (As you all stated...) now I know and won't get bummed!

thanks again

Great! I still cannot figure out how the TPMS works. Per the owners manual you can set them while the car is parked, yet my understanding is that it is not the pressure that is monitored, but other things that to me can only be sensed once the car is moving. Sort of a mystery to me.

Silver42 07-25-2017 12:07 PM

I can actually answer that - there is either a camera or a sensor that measures the geometry of the wheel and the bulge at the tires contact with the street - anywayz the way I understand it - the camera monitors the shape of the tire and if there is a change that is outside of tolerances, then the system triggers a warning.

I think Snag once a while ago described how it worked - that's what I remember about it.

not 100 percent confidant with my response, but darn near.

Nakedhoof 07-25-2017 12:20 PM

This makes no logical sense. A TPMS RF Sensor doesn't cost very much, and the radio to receive the signals, likewise. A four camera system with computer code, and computer to run it, would cost much more. It would also have to be kept clean, in a wheel well. I don't buy it.

Originally Posted by Silver42 (Post 25010731)
I can actually answer that - there is either a camera or a sensor that measures the geometry of the wheel and the bulge at the tires contact with the street - anywayz the way I understand it - the camera monitors the shape of the tire and if there is a change that is outside of tolerances, then the system triggers a warning.

I think Snag once a while ago described how it worked - that's what I remember about it.

not 100 percent confidant with my response, but darn near.