Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

MMI Oil level monitor after Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MMI Oil level monitor after Service

Just thought I'd mention a slightly curious event (to my mind) as, following an Oil and Filter change at my local Audi dealer Friday, the drive home due to some traffic avoidance probably was 15 miles and took 25 to 30 minutes. After switching off, I then brought up the MMI Oil gauge to check the level and was surprised to find it only slightly more than half way up the low to high span. Now if only equipped with the electronic gauge I might have been tempted to top up right then (after all, car had run for a half hour since the oil change) but because I bought an old fashioned dipstick shortly after buying the car, I ducked under the hood and read it the primitive way. The dipstick showed a perfect read at the full line! So I opted not to follow the MMI or put in more oil, fearing I could over-add and the computer would soon be asking to remove some oil. Sure enough, after driving the car the next morning, I return home and check the MMI Oil again - lo and behold now it says absolutely full (yet I hadn't added a smidge). Maybe 30 mins of driving after an oil change isn't enough to register properly the electronic way but the moral of my story is be wary of the MMI and my advice is don't go just electronic but get a back-up dipstick just in case. I've linked the one I bought below. They should be sending me freebies as an endorser; though they aren't aware I am one.

https://www.europaparts.com/oil-dips...6e115611h.html
Old 11-12-2018, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by TechCom-Mike
Just thought I'd mention a slightly curious event (to my mind) as, following an Oil and Filter change at my local Audi dealer Friday, the drive home due to some traffic avoidance probably was 15 miles and took 25 to 30 minutes. After switching off, I then brought up the MMI Oil gauge to check the level and was surprised to find it only slightly more than half way up the low to high span. Now if only equipped with the electronic gauge I might have been tempted to top up right then (after all, car had run for a half hour since the oil change) but because I bought an old fashioned dipstick shortly after buying the car, I ducked under the hood and read it the primitive way. The dipstick showed a perfect read at the full line! So I opted not to follow the MMI or put in more oil, fearing I could over-add and the computer would soon be asking to remove some oil. Sure enough, after driving the car the next morning, I return home and check the MMI Oil again - lo and behold now it says absolutely full (yet I hadn't added a smidge). Maybe 30 mins of driving after an oil change isn't enough to register properly the electronic way but the moral of my story is be wary of the MMI and my advice is don't go just electronic but get a back-up dipstick just in case. I've linked the one I bought below. They should be sending me freebies as an endorser; though they aren't aware I am one.

Indeed +1 for the old school folks among us. And for those who think my view shuns all technological advances please no flaming. I'm good with blind spot indicator, parking sensors, many of the other safety systems and even good with keyless entry despite the fact that I've lost one of my fobs and will fork over many hundreds to the dealer to source/program a new one.............. Not good with autonomous driving functions -- if I don't want to drive I'll take a cab/bus/train, etc.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TechCom-Mike

+2 to dat!