Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

MMI System Crash, Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MMI System Crash, Advice Needed

Yesterday I was running late due to some terrible traffic, and on my way to the destination my MMI system crashed. I am bringing this car in for its routine 75K service in a few weeks, and I wanted some advise from you guys on whether this could be a sign of a larger issue and if its worth even bringing up when I drop it off for service.

For Context:

When it crashed I had the Navigation and the media (playing through my phone connected via AMI) running.

I was stopped and the car shut off due to the Stop Start (same as it always does when I have the stop start turned on).

I also posted this on the Audizine A6 forums. Both posts have the same title.
A few seconds after the car shut off the MMI just stopped. The screen went black, and the center screen folded back into the dash. The DIS display in the instrument cluster then popped up a message which said something like "MMI not available" or "MMI system error" I'm not 100% sure what the message was. The lights relating to the MMI (the lights for the **** in the center console, the buttons for "Car", "Media", etc) shut off, but no other interior lighting shut off. The buttons corresponding to the MMI became unresponsive.

Everything else in the car worked fine, the stop start worked fine, the DIS display worked fine, the windows, etc.

After about 5 minutes (the car remained on the entire duration of the issue) the MMI screen rose out of the dash again and rebooted itself. After an unusually long rebooting process it returned to normal functionality, and even remembered the destination I had running before it crashed.

I have NEVER had this issue before.

I have however, had the screen freeze on me a few times before, and the screen sometimes takes a minute or two to "wake up" after starting the car.

My car is on Software HN+R_US_AU_P0609

Navigation database Version 8R0060884BA NAR 5.7.3

Questions:

Should I bring this up when I go in for service in a few weeks? I don't want them to diagnose it as something major (that doesn't necessarily need replacing) and have to shell out a ton of money for a new modem, etc.

Is this an isolated issue, or has anyone else had this happen?

Is there anything I can do to prevent further issues? Get a software update (I believe my car is on 2015 version of the software)?

Any help is great! Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by ctautoart; 02-23-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I would definitely bring it up when you bring the car in. If they designate it something ' major' you always have final say as to whether or not you want to proceed. Good luck sir.

IMHO unless it happens again I would write it off to be a 'USO' (unidentified software object)
Old 02-23-2019, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

You are running a very old firmware version that originally came with your car. There have been several updates since then. The version you are running has quite a few bugs, so the crash is most likely due to a software bug. I didn't run that version for a very long time in my '13 RS5. There was an update shortly after I took delivery and then my dealer applied subsequent updates at either my request or on their own. The current latest version is 0942, which I've been running for about the last 3 years. It's the last version that came out for the MMI 3G+.

If you are concerned, you can request that your firmware be upgraded, but you'll most likely have to pay for the labor now. While the car is under warranty, the updates are free, but sometimes the dealers need to be pushed and you have to give them a legit concern, so they get reimbursed by Audi.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
You are running a very old firmware version that originally came with your car. There have been several updates since then. The version you are running has quite a few bugs, so the crash is most likely due to a software bug. I didn't run that version for a very long time in my '13 RS5. There was an update shortly after I took delivery and then my dealer applied subsequent updates at either my request or on their own. The current latest version is 0942, which I've been running for about the last 3 years. It's the last version that came out for the MMI 3G+.

If you are concerned, you can request that your firmware be upgraded, but you'll most likely have to pay for the labor now. While the car is under warranty, the updates are free, but sometimes the dealers need to be pushed and you have to give them a legit concern, so they get reimbursed by Audi.
Unfortunately I am about 2 years outside of warranty at this point. I will be sure to get a quote for a software update and map update (since Im already paying for most of the labor) and see how much it is. I know that they charge ridiculous amounts for these updates, but ill see what it comes out to. I am an ACNA member so maybe with my 15% discount it won't be too heartbreaking. Thanks for your information!
Old 02-24-2019, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can do it yourself. I and others on this board have followed this.

Update MMI and Map
Old 02-24-2019, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm in the UK and have just updated my MMI 3G+ with SD cards and disc from satnavupgrade.com. Here's a link to their package for USA, Mexico and Canada:-

https://satnavupgrade.com/collection...19851795759193

The upgrade does take some time. MMI installation about 3 hrs. Maps about 1.5 hrs.The instructions that come to you after purchase are thorough and easy to follow.

John.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow! That’s going to be significantly cheaper than the dealer! Always wondered how customers did it on their own. A fault appears after we (the dealer) do an update, then we havta do an online test plan just to let Audi know it’s been updated which also clears that fault so that’s the part I didn’t know how they got around. Unless they just leave the fault in there. The fault doesn’t cause any usibility issues or anything as far as I know.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Wuplur
Wow! That’s going to be significantly cheaper than the dealer! Always wondered how customers did it on their own. A fault appears after we (the dealer) do an update, then we havta do an online test plan just to let Audi know it’s been updated which also clears that fault so that’s the part I didn’t know how they got around. Unless they just leave the fault in there. The fault doesn’t cause any usibility issues or anything as far as I know.
The only caveat is the update process is different for US cars versus European cars. Obviously the maps are different but also the corrections that the software does to allow a home user to install.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Greencat
The corrections that the software does to allow a home user to install.
Can you be more specific?
Old 02-26-2019, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Wuplur

Can you be more specific?
The European car owners are allowed to update their maps themselves ( even before the 2016 models). In the US, owners are required to have the install done at the dealer. You can legally purchase an updated US map but you cannot use the normal install process that the dealer uses. People have developed a workaround for the US cars. In Audizine you will see threads about install Euro cars and US cars. Follow the link that I posted earlier. MMI updates are straight forward and the Maps are a little harder. My dealer wanted $850 to update the map.

Quick Reply: MMI System Crash, Advice Needed