Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Motion sensor trunk release

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ScrewGuy
Middle of the bumper, right under the license plate. Used it a couple of times the past few days with no issues.
Thank you, I shall look around and wait until nobody is watching and start my dance again!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I got rear ended in my 2014 A6 yesterday and I stopped in a parking lot adjacent to the accident to assess the damage with the offender and was standing close to the trunk when it pops open automatically. Needless to say, now it won't close due to the impact. As I said, this only works when you DON'T want it to!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
I got rear ended in my 2014 A6 yesterday and I stopped in a parking lot adjacent to the accident to assess the damage with the offender and was standing close to the trunk when it pops open automatically. Needless to say, now it won't close due to the impact. As I said, this only works when you DON'T want it to!
Oh crap. Sounds like it was a hard hit. I hope everything turns out okay.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by in2dwww
Oh crap. Sounds like it was a hard hit. I hope everything turns out okay.
"Oh Crap" yeah that's it, that's exactly what I said!

I will know more tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I just found out - by mistake - that my MY12 also has this feature. Over the weekend, I had a flat tire while driving through a rural road. Long story short... car was up in the air at a shop looking for additional damage and, to my surprise, the trunk lid popped open while the technician was walking under the vehicle. I thought at first that perhaps the trunk lid was not fully closed when the car was lifted. But also recalled reading about the feature on later models.

I could not reproduce the action when the car was back down, since I was trying a sideways motion, like in the Ford tv ads. After searching the forum and finding this thread, I went back to my car and I can tell you that a simple fluid kicking motion right under the center of the rear bumper, does the trick. No need to touch anything. I have tried it quite a few times, found it very reliable and quite useful.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by billmac
Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I just found out - by mistake - that my MY12 also has this feature. Over the weekend, I had a flat tire while driving through a rural road. Long story short... car was up in the air at a shop looking for additional damage and, to my surprise, the trunk lid popped open while the technician was walking under the vehicle. I thought at first that perhaps the trunk lid was not fully closed when the car was lifted. But also recalled reading about the feature on later models.

I could not reproduce the action when the car was back down, since I was trying a sideways motion, like in the Ford tv ads. After searching the forum and finding this thread, I went back to my car and I can tell you that a simple fluid kicking motion right under the center of the rear bumper, does the trick. No need to touch anything. I have tried it quite a few times, found it very reliable and quite useful.
I'll be trying this on my 2014 TDI today.....
Old 04-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just spent 15 mins on and off trying this on my 6 week old 2014 A6 3.0 Prestige without success. Then read the owner's manual which states that you should be standing 8" from the trunk, and that the system won't work if the trunk has just been closed, or if there is interference from cell phone etc..

Went back out and tried it standing much closer to the trunk, with a short upward kick of my right leg centered on the license plate, just tapping my shim on the underside of the bumper. Started working 100%, as long as I gave the system a few seconds after closing the trunk.

If it's not working for you, stand closer. Ignore the Official Video that shows the lady with the Hugh Jass sunglasses stepping on a bug under her bumper from a yard away.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I can confirm that on my MY2014 the kick where your shins taps the bumper works reliably.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Homer1946
I can confirm that on my MY2014 the kick where your shins taps the bumper works reliably.
The key to it all is doing the kick under the license plate then waiting. I had to show the tech at my dealership how to do it. People's natural reaction seems to be once they pull their foot out to expect it to immediately pop open, and when it doesn't they kick again. This screws the sensor up. Just give it 3-5 seconds and 9 out of 10 times it will open.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Does anyone know the technology used for this system or the type of sensor etc? It seems that my dealer and others who should know have no clue.

Quick Reply: Motion sensor trunk release