Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Motion sensor trunk release

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDawg
Had my 2014 for about 3 weeks now. Out of the 10 or so tries, it's worked 9 at least. I kick just to the right of the rear plate. Seems to be about a second delay, I guess to let you regain your footing before it opens. Works pretty well in my opinion.
+1 mine works at least 9 out of 10 times but probably closer to 99% of the time. A smooth and not too fast leg motion under and back and a 2 sexond wait opens it nicely.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone (snagit?) know if this feature is truly something that was disabled in software for 2013s that might be able to be turned back on via VCDS? I desperately want this in my car...
Old 12-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Anyone (snagit?) know if this feature is truly something that was disabled in software for 2013s that might be able to be turned back on via VCDS? I desperately want this in my car...

Me too! Had it on a 740Li loaner and loved it.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nobbyv
The feature is enabled on my 2014 model, I understand that you have a 2013, but it seems odd that Audi would not offer it on the 2013 if they have it on the 2012 and 2014 models.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Moodys2014a6
The feature is enabled on my 2014 model, I understand that you have a 2013, but it seems odd that Audi would not offer it on the 2013 if they have it on the 2012 and 2014 models.
I asked for this option for my 2014 prestige, but dealer told me it is not available for A6
Only for A8. I want this option.... Can I get it as after market installation ?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 8XXXID
I asked for this option for my 2014 prestige, but dealer told me it is not available for A6
Only for A8. I want this option.... Can I get it as after market installation ?
It's not an "option" per se. It was an included "hidden" feature of early U.S. 2013 A6s (I had it but there was no mention in literature or the manual of it's existence). As I previously reported, it was very unreliable (only worked about a third of the time) and would often trigger the trunk opening on its own as I walked by the rear fender. So, I had the dealer disable it. My understanding was Audi subsequently disabled the "feature" in all 2013s coming off the line. I have no idea if it was included or re-enabled for MY2014 but if it works like my 2013 did, standing in a parking lot with my hands full, waving my foot around like an idiot while the trunk remained closed, only to open unexpectedly on its own, you can have it.

I suspect you and your dealer were confusing this with the motorized trunk lid that the A8 has and also available as an option in other countries for the A6. What I was speaking to was a foot activated trunk release, not motorized operation.

Last edited by snagitseven; 12-15-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It's not an "option" per se. It was an included "hidden" feature of early U.S. 2013 A6s (I had it but there was no mention in literature or the manual of it's existence). As I previously reported, it was very unreliable (only worked about a third of the time) and would often trigger the trunk opening on its own as I walked by the rear fender. So, I had the dealer disable it. My understanding was Audi subsequently disabled the "feature" in all 2013s coming off the line. I have no idea if it was included or re-enabled for MY2014 but if it works like my 2013 did, standing in a parking lot with my hands full, waving my foot around like an idiot while the trunk remained closed, only to open unexpectedly on its own, you can have it.

I suspect you and your dealer were confusing this with the motorized trunk lid that the A8 has and also available as an option in other countries for the A6. What I was speaking to was a foot activated trunk release, not motorized operation.

I can confirm that it is declared and fitted feature on my US 2014 Prestige. To avoid your issues it's definitely now 'pedantic' about the technique used to swing your foot. However once the operator has been 'trained' it works as advertised. Something has obviously changed between 2013 and 2014, shame you can't track down the differences and find a cost effective upgrade as I'm sure it would grow on you after your justifiable displeasure. Steve
Old 12-15-2013, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just tried on my car and it worked perfectly 5 out of 5 tries. I used a single kick under center.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Didn't even realize this motion sensor trunk release feature was available until I read this thread. After reading, I immediately went out to my 4 week old A6 and gave the "kick" a try, and it worked the first time. I agree, there is about a 1 second delay. Tried it several more times, both with the car locked and unlocked, and the trunk release worked beautifully. Had the wife come out, and she was able to get the release to work after a few practice kicks. We kick under the bumper centered on the license plate. It appears you have to be somewhat exacting in keeping centered on the license plate, at least for our car. Great feature!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I tried today several times and it didn't work for me. May be I do not have it...? How can I find out if I have it and it's probably broken or disabled? is there any kind of visible sensor somewhere under the rear bumper?

Quick Reply: Motion sensor trunk release