Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Motortrend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A6 offers 325lb-ft @ 2900rpm while GS offers 277lb-ft @ 4800rpm so AWD is a more efficient configuration to avoid wheel spin from a stop. GS offers AWD but they chose not to use it as it will reduce 0-60mph track times by 0.1 to 0.2seconds, also GS AWD system is reactive and can intervene heavily to cut speed in corners unlike pro-active A6 AWD based on legendary Quattro system. Xdrive in BMW actually makes 0-60 a touch faster so would not matter if they had Xdrive in test. But Xdrive steering feel is better that RWD as it uses hydraulic steering. Now we all know real life is not the same like driving on track, depending on ones needs GS/BMW/A6/Infiniti is a winner in its own right. Anyone should be proud to own one.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
All the boyz in the BMW forums talk about the advantage of RWD being able to power slide...
That's because they're used to playing video games...
Old 04-19-2012, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Huh?? Wherever did you come up with this? Audi Quattro has been the leader in all wheel drive for years and years and all other brands have attempted to mimic the design. How can it be that the Audi AWD is a compromise of a front wheel drive chassis design? As to rear wheel drive providing the "best driving feel", these days, this is debatable and the vast majority of A6 C7 reviewers might indicate otherwise.

So, unless your goal was to push Audi owners' buttons on this forum, what you say makes no sense.
No doubt Quattro is one of the best AWD systems on the market, but there is also no doubt that the standard A6 model without Quattro and FWD would be killed by all the other cars in a test like this. This is why the Audi on the test has AWD but the others dont need it. I think its funny to expect all the other cars to be equipped with AWD (which is often a hindrance in terms of weight) when its the A6 that is the only one that actually needs it to be competitive. AWD becomes even more important with the A6 for the higher power versions because too much power and FWD is not a good recipe.

I am not trying to push anyone's buttons but anyone should be able to see that the FWD version of the A6 sans Quattro would not fare well in this test.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by lipslocked
The only reason the C7 needs AWD is because its on a front wheel drive chassis. None of the other cars in the test need AWD because they are RWD which offers the best driving feel. There is no reason to force the other cars to go AWD in a sport sedan test because AWD is just Audi's solution to making their platform comparable otherwise in FWD version the A6 would drive very poorly compared to the others. The other cars don't need it. Tell me again how that makes the GS or 5 series inferior to the C7.
Huh?? Wherever did you come up with this? Audi Quattro has been the leader in all wheel drive for years and years and all other brands have attempted to mimic the design. How can it be that the Audi AWD is a compromise of a front wheel drive chassis design? As to rear wheel drive providing the "best driving feel", these days, this is debatable and the vast majority of A6 C7 reviewers might indicate otherwise.

So, unless your goal was to push Audi owners' buttons on this forum, what you say makes no sense.
Originally Posted by lipslocked
No doubt Quattro is one of the best AWD systems on the market, but there is also no doubt that the standard A6 model without Quattro and FWD would be killed by all the other cars in a test like this. This is why the Audi on the test has AWD but the others dont need it. I think its funny to expect all the other cars to be equipped with AWD (which is often a hindrance in terms of weight) when its the A6 that is the only one that actually needs it to be competitive. AWD becomes even more important with the A6 for the higher power versions because too much power and FWD is not a good recipe.

I am not trying to push anyone's buttons but anyone should be able to see that the FWD version of the A6 sans Quattro would not fare well in this test.
If they tested the A6 with only three wheels it wouldn't do as well either. In your first reply, you said the Audi A6 was a FWD chassis design implying the AWD was a bolt on and now you're saying it's one of the best AWD systems on the market. Which is it?

The bottom line is that the vast majority of A6s sold are Quattro - that is what Audi is known for and where their primary focus has been for decades. I'm not saying the other cars should be AWD to fairly compete in road tests but selecting the best and most popular models to compare does makes sense.

Bottom line is that all the other reviews I've read have placed the 2012 A6 ahead overall of the BMW 5 series and the Lexus (Google it). Adding AWD to the others would probably not change the end result and is irrelevant. Your point of saying that the FWD A6 would not do as well as the RWD brands, even if true, is also irrelevant. Few people buy them, especially in the U.S.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Even with the added weight of the AWD system, the A6 still beat the 535i and the GS RWD in accelaration. It seems that Audi is the only one out of three that can used its AWD system to improve its handling. BMW and Lexus' AWD system simply do not match up.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by McGills
Audi A6 places third out of four in a comparison test, check it out. It doesn't make much sense to me.
Motor Trend (or MT for short; they should change their name to Motor Trash ) is the worst and dumbest car magazine on Earth, bar none. They are under the delusion that the current A6 and A7 handle poorly and are boring to drive as ever. The low life pigs at MT are also under the delusion that the current 5 Series handles well and is fun to drive.

All other car magazines on Earth (including the British car magazines, typically the second worst and second dumbest car magazines on Earth, bar none) have praised the A6 and A7 for their superior handling saying that they are one of the most fun cars they have ever driven. All car magazines on Earth (also including the British car magazines, again, typically the second worst and second dumbest car magazines on Earth, bar none) other than MT have also said that the current 5 Series handles poorly and rides comfortably but mushy and is very boring to drive.

The low life piggish drivers and editors at Motor Trash-err-Motor Trend are clearly taking massive dosages of hallucinogens.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi S5 TC
Motor Trend (or MT for short; they should change their name to Motor Trash ) is the worst and dumbest car magazine on Earth, bar none. They are under the delusion that the current A6 and A7 handle poorly and are boring to drive as ever. The low life pigs at MT are also under the delusion that the current 5 Series handles well and is fun to drive.

All other car magazines on Earth (including the British car magazines, typically the second worst and second dumbest car magazines on Earth, bar none) have praised the A6 and A7 for their superior handling saying that they are one of the most fun cars they have ever driven. All car magazines on Earth (also including the British car magazines, again, typically the second worst and second dumbest car magazines on Earth, bar none) other than MT have also said that the current 5 Series handles poorly and rides comfortably but mushy and is very boring to drive.

The low life piggish drivers and editors at Motor Trash-err-Motor Trend are clearly taking massive dosages of hallucinogens.
So, would it be fair to say you won't be subscribing to Motor Trend any time soon?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Drove them all - bought the Audi

Lexus in first place - total joke. Car feels and acts like the toyota it is - nothing hot at all about it. 5 series was close call for me when considering the audi but it feels a bit "heavier" and I didn't feel the interior was as nice as the A6 not too mention the price difference. Motortrend either got it wrong or got lots of toyota $$ for advertising.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So, would it be fair to say you won't be subscribing to Motor Trend any time soon?
Never again, I'm afraid, unless they clean up their act.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think Motor trend really lost some creditability in this comparo when they did not use the hard test numbers to rank the cars, even though the A6 as MT put it " Audi smokes the others in just about every performance measurement and is the least expensive " Instead they use personal feeling and opinions to rank the cars. An opinion is like a you know what, everybody has one.
According to MT, the A6 lost to BMW because they think that the A6 did not feel like a $60000 car. Well, looking at the gauges of the two car, the A6 looks much of expensive than BMW's. They also talk about driver engagement, well guess what, the 5 series feels more isolated than the A6 and it is a bit quieter according to MT's own words.
Overall, I think the A6 and the 5 series have switch places in the mid size sport sedan segment. BMW use to be the sportiest, but the current model is more of a compromise between sport and luxury and the A6 is more of a pure performer. In my opinion, the A6's engine seems more alive, always on its toes while the BMW 3.0 turbo is feels flatter and it is pretty quick once you wake it up, but there is a lag when you try to accelerate fast. The GS350 is the best handling of the three, but the engine's torque doesn’t come on until very late in the rpm range which is a big minus in my opinion, the GS also feels less refined than the German counterparts.
I am guessing the GS350, much like the last gen, will sell well for the 1st year or so and sales will start to tail off in the 2nd year. The GS needed to hit a home run with this design to break into the global mid size sport sedan segment, this version of the GS is a double at best.