Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

My Audi Care Primer and Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts
Default My Audi Care Primer and Analysis

For those considering Audi Care at purchase or later, below is my analysis and some things to know.
(Disclosure: I purchased it on my '09 A4 and will be purchasing it for my '13 A6 at 15K miles).

My Audi Care Cost Analysis (U.S.)

The 3 options for scheduled service maintenance:

- Audi Care will be about 30-35% less expensive than the dealer will charge for each the 4 services that are covered. (As of this writing, the 2012/2013 A6/A7 Audi Care price is $820).

- An Independent shop will be roughly the same cost as Audi Care depending on location.

- Do It Yourself service will be less expensive than both of the above.

Advantages:

- If you are not a DIYer and want the convenience of having warranty covered items done at the same time and place as the scheduled service, Audi Care can be a good value and convenient.

- It eliminates any potential finger pointing between an Indy and the dealer should something go wrong.

- Locks in service costs against labor/parts increases in the future.

- Ensures that any required updates or TSBs get performed when in for scheduled service.

- All of your service records will be in the Audi database.

- Most dealers will provide no charge or inexpensive loaners/rentals while your car is in for service

Disadvantages:

- You pay up front (or by 15K miles)

- If you dispose of the car, while AC is transferable to a new private owner (but not to a different new vehicle), there is no refund for an unused portion (except California where a portion may be refunded). It likely won't add to the resale value later, however, it does offer a benefit to a potential purchaser. A dealer will not usually recognize the value on a trade.

Notes:

- Audi Care is NOT a warranty but covers the 15K, 25K, 35K and 45K mile scheduled service maintenance (or every 12 months whichever comes first) as outlined in your service booklet. It does not cover items not included in the regular maintenance schedule, i.e. alignments, wheel balancing, wiper blades, tires, etc.

- AC must be used within 5 years from vehicle purchase date or any remaining benefit is cancelled.

- There is also an Audi Care "Plus" available afterward for 55K, 65K and 75K mi services but it is expensive.

- The 5000 mi service is covered at n/c under the manf. warranty.

- Audi Care can (only) be purchased from any dealer (and used) within the originating country at any time although it should be purchased by the 15K mi service to receive full benefit.

- If not purchased at time of delivery, it historically has gone up about $50 each year.

- If leasing, purchasing Audi Care at time of lease usually increases the residual about 1% reducing the monthly payment. This results in AC being effectively less expensive to purchase.

- Dealer cost on Audi Care is not much less than retail price (about 90% of retail) so dealers will usually resist a discount. While some will report that it "was thrown in" or discounted at time of the car purchase, the cost to the dealer is the still there and is effectively a discount on the car itself. In other words, you could probably have negotiated almost the equivalent discount off the price of the car without AC being purchased.

- Despite a very modest profit, dealers like to sell Audi Care as it keeps you periodically coming back to their store (although Audi Care is valid at any Audi dealership).

- Canada Audi Care - similar to the U.S. version with minor differences, i.e. service intervals are 25K km, 40K km, 55K km and 70K km; AC must be purchased within 12 months or 20K km of vehicle purchase date.

Full Audi Care Info:

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/13...ombined_j2.pdf

Last edited by snagitseven; 02-20-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven

- If you dispose of the car, while AC is transferable to a new private owner, there is no refund for an unused portion.
Thanks, in CA you can still get a pro-rated portion returned to you. When I traded in my 2011 S4 with Audicare still left for 35K and 45K, there was a formula used to determine how much you get back depending on how many services you still have left, it's written in the contract. However it's not a equal proportion you get back, can't remember the amount of refund with two services left, but it's not simply half of what you paid (it was less).
Old 02-20-2013, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good summary! Thanks!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mcar11
Thanks, in CA you can still get a pro-rated portion returned to you. When I traded in my 2011 S4 with Audicare still left for 35K and 45K, there was a formula used to determine how much you get back depending on how many services you still have left, it's written in the contract. However it's not a equal proportion you get back, can't remember the amount of refund with two services left, but it's not simply half of what you paid (it was less).
You are correct - CA is the only U.S. state where this is the case. I added that to the summary. Also added that AC can only be used in the originating country.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those considering Audi Care at purchase or later, below is my analysis and some things to know.
(Disclosure: I purchased it on my '09 A4 and will be purchasing it for my '13 A6 at 15K miles).

My Audi Care Cost Analysis (U.S.)

The 3 options for scheduled service maintenance:

- Audi Care will be about 30-35% less expensive than the dealer will charge for each the 4 services that are covered. (As of this writing, the 2012/2013 A6/A7 Audi Care price is $820).

- An Independent shop will be roughly the same cost as Audi Care depending on location.

- Do It Yourself service will be less expensive than both of the above.

Advantages:

- If you are not a DIYer and want the convenience of having warranty covered items done at the same time and place as the scheduled service, Audi Care can be a good value and convenient.

- It eliminates any potential finger pointing between an Indy and the dealer should something go wrong.

- Locks in service costs against labor/parts increases in the future

- All of your service records will be in the Audi database.

Disadvantages:

- You pay up front (or by 15K miles)

- If you dispose of the car, while AC is transferable to a new private owner (but not to a different new vehicle), there is no refund for an unused portion (except California where a portion may be refunded). It likely won't add to the resale value later, however, it does offer a benefit to a potential purchaser. A dealer will not usually recognize the value on a trade.

Notes:

- Audi Care is NOT a warranty but covers the 15K, 25K, 35K and 45K mile scheduled service maintenance (or every 12 months whichever comes first) as outlined in your service booklet. It does not cover items not included in the regular maintenance schedule, i.e. alignments, wheel balancing, wiper blades, tires, etc.

- AC must be used within 5 years from vehicle purchase date or any remaining benefit is cancelled.

- There is also an Audi Care "Plus" available afterward for 55K, 65K and 75K mi services but it is expensive.

- The 5000 mi service is covered at n/c under the manf. warranty.

- Audi Care can (only) be purchased from any dealer (and used) within the originating country at any time although it should be purchased by the 15K mi service to receive full benefit.

- If not purchased at time of delivery, it historically has gone up about $50 each year.

- If leasing, purchasing Audi Care at time of lease usually increases the residual about 1% reducing the monthly payment. This results in AC being effectively less expensive to purchase.

- Dealer cost on Audi Care is not much less than retail price (about 90% of retail) so dealers will usually resist a discount. While some will report that it "was thrown in" or discounted at time of the car purchase, the cost to the dealer is the still there and is effectively a discount on the car itself. In other words, you could probably have negotiated almost the equivalent discount off the price of the car without AC being purchased.

- Despite a very modest profit, dealers like to sell Audi Care as it keeps you periodically coming back to their store (although Audi Care is valid at any Audi dealership).

- Canada Audi Care - similar to the U.S. version with minor differences, i.e. service intervals are 25K km, 40K km, 55K km and 70K km; AC must be purchased within 12 months or 20K km of vehicle purchase date.

Full Audi Care Info:

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/13...ombined_j2.pdf
Thx for the summary. Very useful info. I was wondering about Audi Care Plus. At 55K there seems to be pretty much to be done (spark plugs, compressor belt) and if it covers everything that is required as a part of scheduled maintenance. Have you ever done similar analysis for AC+?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by salvadorik
Thx for the summary. Very useful info. I was wondering about Audi Care Plus. At 55K there seems to be pretty much to be done (spark plugs, compressor belt) and if it covers everything that is required as a part of scheduled maintenance. Have you ever done similar analysis for AC+?
Well, Audi quotes 17% savings in Audi Care Plus. Half the savings of Audi Care. I disposed of my A4 after the 45K service so never analyzed it but my sense is a minority of owners keep their Audis past 5 years and of that number, few take advantage of the Plus. I would think that after the manf warranty runs out at 4 years or 50K miles, it makes more sense to start using a less expensive indy shop at that point.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the detailed info SnagItSeven
Old 02-20-2013, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome summary!! Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, Audi quotes 17% savings in Audi Care Plus. Half the savings of Audi Care. I disposed of my A4 after the 45K service so never analyzed it but my sense is a minority of owners keep their Audis past 5 years and of that number, few take advantage of the Plus. I would think that after the manf warranty runs out at 4 years or 50K miles, it makes more sense to start using a less expensive indy shop at that point.
thx a lot
Old 02-21-2013, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you add a summary of the items included? Something like:

15,000 miles
- oil and filter change
- cabin air filter

25,000 miles
- oil and filter change
- brake fluid change (every 2 years)

35,000 miles
- oil and filter change
- cabin air filter
- 2.0T and S6: spark plug change
- S6: engine air filter
- CVT and S Tronic DSG: transmission fluid change, DSG also has a filter change

45,000 miles
- oil and filter change
- brake fluid change (every 2 years)

If you do just these items, at an independent shop or even at the dealer, the cost will be as low as possible.

Part of the expense if you get maintenance done at the dealer is paying for labor to INSPECT certain parts. In my humble opinion, this is where they rip you off. Most are just simple exterior checks, which they sometimes do for free, even if you just bring your car in for an oil change. They like this because if they find something, they can bill the repair work under the new car warranty.

Last edited by newmoon; 02-24-2013 at 06:30 AM.

Quick Reply: My Audi Care Primer and Analysis