Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Navigation 'auto' map colours always night

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 02:21 AM
jbn
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation 'auto' map colours always night

Hi, I have recently taken over an A6 Avant and been familiarising myself with the MMI and features. I noted that when I set the navigation map choice to 'auto' it always switches to the nighttime colours, despite the clock and timezone being set correctly. I get this whether the time is set manually or taken from the GPS.

Can anyone suggest what might be the issue here please? Google has so far not yielded any help.

many thanks!
Old 08-11-2014, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

If you set the nav display to "day" mode, does it display correctly? If so, could be a defective light sensor. If not, something in the nav itself is an issue. Either way, it could also be a software glitch. Just for grins, try rebooting the MMI. Press Menu, center control selector and upper right function button briefly all at the same time.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

The Navi changes to night mode if the head lights are on, regardless of the time of the day.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
The Navi changes to night mode if the head lights are on, regardless of the time of the day.
I am not sure that this is correct - you can turn on the headlights during the day and the Nav is still on "day" mode. The light sensor is what determines if the Nav will switch to day or not and it is the same sensor that determines if the Auto Headlights will come on, if so enabled. I do, however, agree that TOD has nothing to do with the switching of the day/night modes.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:48 AM
jbn
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestions, yes it displays correctly in 'day' mode and that is what I am using.

I am running with headlights on and will check if switching them off makes a difference, and otherwise reboot the MMI. Here in Switzerland it is now a legal requirement since 1 July to drive with daytime running lights and my default behaviour has always been to use dipped headlights; it is of course not necessary with the Audi to use them for this purpose so I will see what works to correct the problem and act accordingly. Should be able to test this later today.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
I am not sure that this is correct - you can turn on the headlights during the day and the Nav is still on "day" mode. The light sensor is what determines if the Nav will switch to day or not and it is the same sensor that determines if the Auto Headlights will come on, if so enabled. I do, however, agree that TOD has nothing to do with the switching of the day/night modes.
I would need to check this again but as far as I remember, if the light switch is in AUTO then the Navi uses the interior light sensor and other sensors in the car but if the light switch is in ON then the Navi will switch to night mode if it is itself set to Auto.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:03 AM
jbn
Audiworld Junior Member

Tested and you are correct: off or auto is fine but once the lights are switched on to dipped headlights the lighting on the instrument cluster comes on and the map switches to 'night' mode.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jbn
Thanks for the suggestions, yes it displays correctly in 'day' mode and that is what I am using.

I am running with headlights on and will check if switching them off makes a difference, and otherwise reboot the MMI. Here in Switzerland it is now a legal requirement since 1 July to drive with daytime running lights and my default behaviour has always been to use dipped headlights; it is of course not necessary with the Audi to use them for this purpose so I will see what works to correct the problem and act accordingly. Should be able to test this later today.
So doesn't having the light switch in "Auto" check all of the right boxes for you?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:39 AM
DVE
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
... if the light switch is in AUTO then the Navi uses the interior light sensor ...
Which sensor shall be that? Because I want to know whether the main beams are activated (switch in auto). The green symbol beside the switch is always illuminated because I using scandinavian coding (rear lights always on) The navi display is always set to night mode.

What are dipped beams?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2014, 10:10 AM
jbn
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DB22
So doesn't having the light switch in "Auto" check all of the right boxes for you?
I guess it does, I am just accustomed to have dipped headlights as running lights....

Quick Reply: Navigation 'auto' map colours always night