Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Navigation 'auto' map colours always night

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

One of my early cars was a 1959 Peugeot 403 that had been imported from France by a friend's Dad. With that car, if you stopped at the edge of the road with the engine off, you could push the turn signal lever (left if you are on the right shoulder) and the front and rear turn signal lights came on, but steady not flashing. The lights that came on were on the road/traffic side of your stopped car so that drivers coming from either direction could see: a) your car was stopped and b) which side of the car was near the road so they had an idea of how much clearance there would be if they came up on you in the dark on a narrow road.
DRL’s do mess up the idea of what is and is not a parking light.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

The law in Europe, many years ago, was that you had to use parking lights at night if you parked on an unlit street. It drained the battery almost down to nothing every day but the good news was that the bulbs were low wattage. Just before the elimination of that law numerous cars were designed as you described for the Peugeot but its significant selling point was that it did not drain your battery as fast. The legacy feature still prevails today on some cars and is very useful where parking can be on a very dark and narrow street where your car may be at risk of being hit.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
T is very useful where parking can be on a very dark and narrow street where your car may be at risk of being hit.
sometimes on a dark rural road when I see a single light coming toward me I wonder for a second or two if it is a motorcycle or a car with one "normal" headlight out and if so, which one. I am always happy when the shape of the vehicle comes into range and I see either a motorcycle or a car with the right side headlight out, then I know I won't have to swerve at the last minute - lol
Old 08-13-2014, 11:39 AM
DVE
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
You can enable rear DRL's with VCDS and the A6 comes with rear fog lights for use in inclement weather so you are covered.
First is called scandinavian coding, it is a good feature. What do you mean with the fog lights? What is the context to the first?

Addional question: On the backside you have red turn signal (flashing brakelights). But what is on the frontside - for sure amber. But why not on the backside?

br
Old 08-13-2014, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DVE
First is called scandinavian coding, it is a good feature. What do you mean with the fog lights? What is the context to the first?

Addional question: On the backside you have red turn signal (flashing brakelights). But what is on the frontside - for sure amber. But why not on the backside?

br
See post 24 referring to DRLs and rear fog lights.

Your second question can only be answered by the idiots at the SAE and the NHTSA and politicians that get driven around because they are too incompetent to drive themselves. ( now that was subtle)!
Old 10-16-2018, 05:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem and found that I had to go to Destination view on map and then back to 2D or 3D. That seemed to clear up the problem. I also did the reboot by pressing menu, center control **** and upper right corner selection button simultaneously. That reboot was recommended by dealer. It did not seem to correct the problem, but it is something I did in addition to changing map view to destination. It seemed almost as though the system was locked up on the last destination entry used in the car.