Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

need help with 2016 Audi A6 navigation system

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with 2016 Audi A6 navigation system

I just bought a 2016 Audi a6 which didn't come equipped with back up camera and navigation system. I was wondering if its possible to add those features to my car without paying almost the 5k that my dealership is charging me

I saw some OEM navigation modules for sale on eBay I was wondering if that is plug and play...
Old 12-11-2017, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You're clearly not in the USA. All of our cars get these things.

If you want answers, put your location in your personal settings.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The nav in both my Audi sucks. Garmin is 10x better. Never had a factory nav that was worth a s***. You shouldn't have to take your eyes off the road.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Arian Montes de Oca
I just bought a 2016 Audi a6 which didn't come equipped with back up camera and navigation system. I was wondering if its possible to add those features to my car without paying almost the 5k that my dealership is charging me

I saw some OEM navigation modules for sale on eBay I was wondering if that is plug and play...
If your car came without them as standard then there is a lot more to be done than just "plug and play". For instance you will not have the gps antenna in the roof aerial module, depending on which Nav you go for you will need to change the pop up screen display and change the instrument display to a colour one, add a camera for the rear parking system, get all of the stuff you add decoded so it works with your vehicle and hope that having had your car undergo major surgery that everything still works afterwards. 5k (of whatever currency) sounds good value if tey are going to do all of that get your official access to Audi Connect and presumably give you a warranty on their work
Old 12-12-2017, 03:22 AM
DDM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nakedhoof
You're clearly not in the USA. All of our cars get these things.
Not all, apparently. Mine has the MMI Radio Plus, no nav or backup cameras/sensors.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very interesting. USA cars usually are optioned pretty well from the factory, because they are so far away (all foreign makes suffer from this, unless they're cheap).

Originally Posted by DDM
Not all, apparently. Mine has the MMI Radio Plus, no nav or backup cameras/sensors.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by HuemanA6
The nav in both my Audi sucks. Garmin is 10x better. Never had a factory nav that was worth a s***. You shouldn't have to take your eyes off the road.
HUD alleviates that problem
Old 12-13-2017, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
HUD alleviates that problem
LOVE my HUD. EVERY car should have one. When I drive a car that does not have it I find it distracting to have to look down even to check my speed!
Old 12-18-2017, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

HUD would be nice, but it won't make up for a lousy nav system. I have made everyone use them exclusively whenever the cars are used for over a year. My wife has rebelled and put the Garmin back in. She is tired of all the wrong everything constantly. I can't say anything because she's right. I would think if you spend that much money for a car you could get a great nav system. Even the map updates are free for life on the superior and cheap Garmin. Audi could license the best nav technology out there and still save money. It seems the servers for online destinations are down half the time. I'm going to go back to Garmins after the holidays and make my kids happy. I pretty much know where I'm going and don't fall for the stupid routes, but the kids find it very frustrating and nerve wracking.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by HuemanA6
HUD would be nice, but it won't make up for a lousy nav system. I have made everyone use them exclusively whenever the cars are used for over a year. My wife has rebelled and put the Garmin back in. She is tired of all the wrong everything constantly. I can't say anything because she's right. I would think if you spend that much money for a car you could get a great nav system. Even the map updates are free for life on the superior and cheap Garmin. Audi could license the best nav technology out there and still save money. It seems the servers for online destinations are down half the time. I'm going to go back to Garmins after the holidays and make my kids happy. I pretty much know where I'm going and don't fall for the stupid routes, but the kids find it very frustrating and nerve wracking.
There might be something else going on here. The uptime of the servers is excellent as far as I can tell. I've experienced maybe 2 or 3 outages over the last 5 years, so if they seem to be down for you often, you might have a cell connectivity issue in your neck of the woods. I'm on AT&T, dumped T-Mobile a long time ago. Also, I can't find much wrong with the routing of the Audi Nav, either. I pretty much use it exclusively and it's always gotten me where I needed to go with no issues. The phone app works really well, too. Most of the time I send the destinations to the car from my phone. Either the destination where I need to go is already on my calendar, so I just send the calendar appointment to the car, or I search for the destination on my phone and send it to the car. If the Audi Nav didn't work for me, I would use Google Maps, HERE Maps or Waze on my phone to get the same kinds of integrations, but I certainly wouldn't use a Garmin. Who still uses portable GPS devices when all that stuff can be had on a smartphone these days? I'm noticing that most complaints about the Audi Nav have at least some roots in not understanding or not taking full advantage of the online features.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-18-2017 at 05:24 PM.