Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New A6 owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New A6 owner

Hi All!. Finally got my dream car. 2017 CPO A6. Took awhile to get to this point to be able to afford a luxury car since I have always needed a truck to for work. Found everything thing I wanted Premium plus, white, black leather, sports package with 20" and 3.0 and 1-2 year old so I didn't take the new car hit. I think the only thing I want to do is tint the windows a little bit, like 50%. Jeez this car is comfortable!
Old 03-27-2019, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the new ride!
Old 03-27-2019, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timmiebro
...I think the only thing I want to do is tint the windows a little bit, like 50%. Jeez this car is comfortable!
Ah. So innocent. Can't wait to see this mentality change lol.

Congrats!
Old 03-27-2019, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice ride, and welcome to the club! I recently picked up a white A6 as well. Post up when you get tint. I am thinking about 35% or 50%.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

LOL. The car is fast enough without modifications and some of us don't want our car flagged so as to blow either the 4/50 or CPO warranty.

The mentality might change however (but it won't have anything to do with modifications) if the rotors warp prematurely and Audi gives the OP the middle finger as many of those on this board have experienced (OP don't know how many miles are on your car but if any pulsations when braking go back to dealer immediately upon experiencing that since Audi takes the position that brakes/rotors are wear items and will do their level best to deny coverage once past 1 year/12K miles) or premature timing chain rattle upon start up thanks to poorly engineered upper timing chain tensioners (OP search this board for threads on that fun subject), etc.

To the OP -- enjoy your new ride and good that you have a CPO car with hopefully a goodly number of years/miles of coverage as these cars are tech-laden and despite what anyone may say, nowhere near as bulletproof/reliable as Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura. While many on this board have pleasant ownership experiences that are largely trouble-free, others have plenty of issues including those I've referenced above. And then there is that matter of carbon buildup on the valves which once the miles pile up can necessitate a "cleaning" which is no simple or inexpensive matter. Don't misinterpret, I'm not trying to rain on your parade or give you a case of buyer's remorse -- just be aware that these are complicated German cars that demand proper maintenance and when things go wrong can be very expensive to fix. Seek out a good independent Audi shop if that exists where you are and cultivate a relationship for when car is out of warranty if you expect to keep it past warranty expiration. You might do some intermediate oil changes there and other maintenance even if you have Audi Care so you have a trusted shop to give the car a good once over before your CPO warranty expires and to service car post-warranty expiration. Dealer service can be very costly.

I've accepted that both our Audis (/15 A6 3.0T and /18 A4 Quattro) have been, and will be, nowhere near as reliable and trouble-free as my trusty 04 Acura TL (spare car -- owned since new with now 172,000 very trouble-free miles and still runs great) and my amazing /94 Acura NSX (fun car) -- I just drive the Audis and try to enjoy them. They are lovely driving cars and I'm hoping that going forward as relates to the A6 I will have no nasty surprises inasmuch as the warranty expires in July.

Again, enjoy your new ride!

Best,
Jeff
Old 03-27-2019, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes, enjoy the ride!

You may want to purchase some IronX, otherwise those little rust colored specs may make you nuts every time you wash the car (my wife's car is white and I end up using IronX every so many washings.....
Old 03-28-2019, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did you get the car for? i'm also on the search for an A6 CPO, 3.0T, and I want 2017 over 2016 because of the carplay, and LED lights. I appreciate it
Old 03-31-2019, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Acuransx
LOL. The car is fast enough without modifications and some of us don't want our car flagged so as to blow either the 4/50 or CPO warranty.

The mentality might change however (but it won't have anything to do with modifications) if the rotors warp prematurely and Audi gives the OP the middle finger as many of those on this board have experienced (OP don't know how many miles are on your car but if any pulsations when braking go back to dealer immediately upon experiencing that since Audi takes the position that brakes/rotors are wear items and will do their level best to deny coverage once past 1 year/12K miles) or premature timing chain rattle upon start up thanks to poorly engineered upper timing chain tensioners (OP search this board for threads on that fun subject), etc.

To the OP -- enjoy your new ride and good that you have a CPO car with hopefully a goodly number of years/miles of coverage as these cars are tech-laden and despite what anyone may say, nowhere near as bulletproof/reliable as Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura. While many on this board have pleasant ownership experiences that are largely trouble-free, others have plenty of issues including those I've referenced above. And then there is that matter of carbon buildup on the valves which once the miles pile up can necessitate a "cleaning" which is no simple or inexpensive matter. Don't misinterpret, I'm not trying to rain on your parade or give you a case of buyer's remorse -- just be aware that these are complicated German cars that demand proper maintenance and when things go wrong can be very expensive to fix. Seek out a good independent Audi shop if that exists where you are and cultivate a relationship for when car is out of warranty if you expect to keep it past warranty expiration. You might do some intermediate oil changes there and other maintenance even if you have Audi Care so you have a trusted shop to give the car a good once over before your CPO warranty expires and to service car post-warranty expiration. Dealer service can be very costly.

I've accepted that both our Audis (/15 A6 3.0T and /18 A4 Quattro) have been, and will be, nowhere near as reliable and trouble-free as my trusty 04 Acura TL (spare car -- owned since new with now 172,000 very trouble-free miles and still runs great) and my amazing /94 Acura NSX (fun car) -- I just drive the Audis and try to enjoy them. They are lovely driving cars and I'm hoping that going forward as relates to the A6 I will have no nasty surprises inasmuch as the warranty expires in July.

Again, enjoy your new ride!

Best,
Jeff
So true in everything you said. I noticed warped rotors after my test drive. 2018 A6 had 60 miles on it at the time. Took it back and they replaced both front rotors. They said they were "out of spec." They also replaced my battery because my tests indicated it to be degraded. Only way I can think of is some dude over tightened the lugs at the factory to get the warped rotors with so few miles...
Old 04-01-2019, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

I doubt over tightening wheel lugs is the culprit. Just substandard rotors. I guess can happen to any manufacturer but I fear VAG does not learn from its mistakes. We also have a 6 month old A4 Quattro -- I hope I'm hearing things but on start-up when car has been sitting for a few days heard same noise as had in my A6 indicative of timing chain tensioner not functioning properly. I guess in a sense I don't care since the A4 is leased. Nice driving cars but will never own one again -- only way to go is lease so under warranty entire time in my possession.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Was your car sitting for a while due to the stop sale? The A6 rotors seem susceptible to warping. If the car was just sitting outside in varying temperatures and exposure to the elements it could have caused early failure. I was looking at one CPO, and they had just replaced all the brakes and rotors because of the car sitting for several months.

Quick Reply: New A6 owner