Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Adaptive Brake Lights

Old 06-26-2014, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Adaptive Brake Lights

I know that some people have enabled this option but has anybody tested it? It seems that it may only flash the brake lights when the ABS is enabled.
Another point is that I think that this should be implemented in all cars and the frequency/duty cycle of flashing should be tied to a decelerometer.
There are a lot of drivers who are a pain to follow because they have to touch their brakes every time they have to think. If there was no flashing then it would be easy to work out that they are idiots and are not really slowing down.
In conclusion: it would be advantageous to know what the car in front of you is doing, it the brake lights are on then the possibility of braking exists, if they flash with a 90 off/10 on duty cycle then they are mildly slowing, etc.
Obviously, this would involve the use of amber turn signals otherwise, if you could only see one side of the cars in front of you, then you couldn't tell if the car is indicating or braking (which is the case even now).
Old 06-26-2014, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
I know that some people have enabled this option but has anybody tested it? It seems that it may only flash the brake lights when the ABS is enabled.
Sorry, I assume you mean "engaged" or "activated" - as in ABS is actually pulsing the brakes? (To me "enabled" means not turned off, which I don't think one can do from the user controls at least.)

This is on my list of things to try once my car arrives, so I too am curious if others have done it. My plan was to drive by a fixed observer and brake at a given point where the observer could report on brake lights flashing or not. Good point on ABS engagement, my planned test site would probably accommodate that too
Old 06-26-2014, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Sorry, I assume you mean "engaged" or "activated" - as in ABS is actually pulsing the brakes? (To me "enabled" means not turned off, which I don't think one can do from the user controls at least.)

This is on my list of things to try once my car arrives, so I too am curious if others have done it. My plan was to drive by a fixed observer and brake at a given point where the observer could report on brake lights flashing or not. Good point on ABS engagement, my planned test site would probably accommodate that too
Yes, the ABS is "activated" by the "engagement" of the brakes "enabling" the potential reduction in velocity.

Maybe somebody could try having their wife follow closely behind while you practice emergency braking procedures? That way you could deduce as to whether or not 1 - if they work and 2 - did the flashing help and lastly how good your wifes reactions are!
Old 06-26-2014, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Yes, the ABS is "activated" by the "engagement" of the brakes "enabling" the potential reduction in velocity.

Maybe somebody could try having their wife follow closely behind while you practice emergency braking procedures? That way you could deduce as to whether or not 1 - if they work and 2 - did the flashing help and lastly how good your wifes reactions are!
I might try that if my wife can run fast enough to keep up.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:27 AM
DVE
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The adaptive brake light is not pure linked with abs. You can brake on snow or ice and the abs will be effectiv but not the adaptive brake light. Imo a large disadvantage. Otherwise I had to brake at high speed on motorway (too fast for abs) and the adaptive brake light were flashing.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, it seems it would be linked to an on-board accelerometer, not the ABS system.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DVE
The adaptive brake light is not pure linked with abs. You can brake on snow or ice and the abs will be effectiv but not the adaptive brake light. Imo a large disadvantage. Otherwise I had to brake at high speed on motorway (too fast for abs) and the adaptive brake light were flashing.
Judging by your "motorway" text, may we assume that your are in England? If you are in the UK, was the option already enabled or did you enable it?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:24 AM
DVE
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Not UK but Germany . This feature is here serially.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DVE
Not UK but Germany . This feature is here serially.
So Autobahn
Old 06-27-2014, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

BTW - a brake light that is not on solid is illegal in the USA. Lighting here is 20 years behind ROW.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adaptive Brake Lights