Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New TSB: Rear Pillar Crackling/Clicking Noise

Old 05-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New TSB: Rear Pillar Crackling/Clicking Noise

This was originally posted under a different thread. Now that I have resolved my problem, I thought I would re-post this under a more appropriate subject.

My 2012 Presitge developed a "clicking/crackling" noise near the right rear pillar area. It was hard to reproduce for the Audi technicians, but finally, yesterday, we did.

If others are experiencing anything similar, Audi just released a new TSB on this. They refer to a "crackling/clicking noise coming from the rear pillar area", exactly what I am experiencing. The TSB goes on to say that the problem is with the damper in the strut mounts. They can shift and once out of place can cause this noise. The TSB calls for both rear shocks/struts to be replaced.

Parts are ordered and work is being performed tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good to know. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good luck. Please provide us with a TSB number as soon as you pick it up.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Count me in as another interested in the TSB number. I started to hear a clicking noise from the right rear about 2 months ago. While I found it mildly annoying, it wasn't something I was going to make a special trip to the deal (an hour away) to get resolved. Im a bit over 11K now, so my 15K service will come soon enough.

I actually had speculated it was coming from the seat belt retractor, but seeing this Im betting it is the problem.

Thanks for posting!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will post the TSB after I pick up my car. Same as you, mildly annoying initially, but then got worse. I'm glad Audi recognized and is solving the issue.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I picked up my car last night. All good! No more weird noises, and nice and tight with new rear shocks!

Here's what the work order states:
Placed chassis ears on rear suspension and test drove vehicle. Found noise to be coming from rear upper shock mounts on both sides of vehicle. Replaced upper shock mounts according to TSB 2029953/2. Test drove vehicle to verify no noise coming from rear of vehicle.

I was also having an issue with my Bluetooth microphone. Those I was calling said I sounded like I was in a wind tunnel. Siri couldn't understand me either! They found the microphone seals to be damaged so they replaced those too. Works perfectly now.

You gotta love it when the car is still under warranty!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbg_dbg
I picked up my car last night. All good! No more weird noises, and nice and tight with new rear shocks!

Here's what the work order states:
Placed chassis ears on rear suspension and test drove vehicle. Found noise to be coming from rear upper shock mounts on both sides of vehicle. Replaced upper shock mounts according to TSB 2029953/2. Test drove vehicle to verify no noise coming from rear of vehicle.

I was also having an issue with my Bluetooth microphone. Those I was calling said I sounded like I was in a wind tunnel. Siri couldn't understand me either! They found the microphone seals to be damaged so they replaced those too. Works perfectly now.

You gotta love it when the car is still under warranty!
Thanks for the TSB number, and I am glad it solved your problem! I am dropping my car off first thing tomorrow for normal service (as well as an A/C issue that popped up this weekend) and will have them pull up that TSB. I will be so happy to eliminate that noise. Thanks again for providing it.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Happy to help. Hope this solves your issue
Old 06-03-2013, 04:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbg_dbg
Happy to help. Hope this solves your issue
dbg, thanks again! I got the car back and they found the TSB you mentioned, did testing, and replaced the shock mount on the drivers side, and the sound is gone...thankfully.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JML - TX
dbg, thanks again! I got the car back and they found the TSB you mentioned, did testing, and replaced the shock mount on the drivers side, and the sound is gone...thankfully.
Nice! Glad it worked out for you too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New TSB: Rear Pillar Crackling/Clicking Noise