Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

no 8th gear in dymanic mode c7 a6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

My car shifts to 8th in dynamic mode.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by q5q7
Thanks snagitseven for the tsb number. can more people chime in to confirm there is or there is no 8th gear in dynamic mode? it is pretty easy to test. 80mph at 8th gear should have an rpm of less than 2k 80mph at 7th gear should have an rpm around 2.2k
And way easier is to see the number next to the D (that is why you should do vag com mods)
Old 02-05-2014, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
And way easier is to see the number next to the D (that is why you should do vag com mods)
My dealer did mine for free when I asked them to. I see D8 from about 55 mph and on. I have yet to see S8 - so far S7 is the top gear I've seen in S. I guess I drive too slow.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem33
My car shifts to 8th in dynamic mode.
Same here. Drove at 80 - 85mph the past two days in dynamic, buth times the RPMs were around 1.8K to 2.0K
Old 02-06-2014, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

I have to amend my previous assertion that my transmission will shift to 8th gear in Dynamic/Sport modes. It did before until I had the transmission update done a couple of months ago but apparently, one of the changes is it will not do so any longer (which I guess kind of makes sense considering the purpose of the Dynamic mode). A side benefit that I did notice was right away is when you go from D to S, the transmission now drops down two gears instead of just one in most cases - helpful for decelerating. And of course, it also smoothed out the hesitation/jerkiness I was getting from 2nd to 3rd gear which is why I decided to have the update done in the first place.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

My 2014 must've shipped with the equivalent of the TSB you had done. For the most part, shifting into sport drops me down 2 gears, and I've not dared to reach speeds that the car shifts into 8th in sport.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snagit
I read the whole thread you put a link
It seems this TSB is not for all VIN numbers (somebody posted it) and I have seen different TSB numbers for A7 vs A6
I would like to perform this update I like the two gears downshifting idea and also eliminating the 1-2 and 2-1 jerkiness (that is pretty obvious is not normal because it feels like somebody hit you in the back)
Any idea if this TSB works for A7?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I have to amend my previous assertion that my transmission will shift to 8th gear in Dynamic/Sport modes. It did before until I had the transmission update done a couple of months ago but apparently, one of the changes is it will not do so any longer (which I guess kind of makes sense considering the purpose of the Dynamic mode). A side benefit that I did notice was right away is when you go from D to S, the transmission now drops down two gears instead of just one in most cases - helpful for decelerating. And of course, it also smoothed out the hesitation/jerkiness I was getting from 2nd to 3rd gear which is why I decided to have the update done in the first place.
Have you tried it with cruise control? I would expect to have similar behavior as the S6 even though they are different transmissions. So I would be surprise that it still wouldn't shift even when cruise control is in command.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by feralc
Snagit
I read the whole thread you put a link
It seems this TSB is not for all VIN numbers (somebody posted it) and I have seen different TSB numbers for A7 vs A6
I would like to perform this update I like the two gears downshifting idea and also eliminating the 1-2 and 2-1 jerkiness (that is pretty obvious is not normal because it feels like somebody hit you in the back)
Any idea if this TSB works for A7?
Just checked my service order and here are the actual numbers of the transmission update I had performed in Dec 2013. Since the A7 uses the same 8 speed zf transmission and 3.0T as the A6, it would seem unusual that it would be different. Also, keep in mind, this update was introduced in late Spring of 2013 so one could guess that cars built after that point would already have the newer adaptation from the factory, hence the VIN determination.
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2014, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
Have you tried it with cruise control? I would expect to have similar behavior as the S6 even though they are different transmissions. So I would be surprise that it still wouldn't shift even when cruise control is in command.
I haven't tried it in ACC. I'm guessing it won't make any difference but I'll try it the next time I can get off these local 40 mph wagon trails around here and report back.
With the completely different characteristics and purposing of the S6 7 speed S-Tronic, I would think it's a different kettle of fish.

Quick Reply: no 8th gear in dymanic mode c7 a6?