Oil Change DIY discrepancy - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011

Oil Change DIY discrepancy

Old 11-10-2018, 04:19 PM
  #1  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 25
Default Oil Change DIY discrepancy

I bought the Mityvac 7201 fluid extractor. I have a 2.0 C7, so the oil filter is easily accessible and I saw that I could siphon out the oil from the dipstick tube so I did it myself.

The thing is, the Mityvac only got out ~2.3quarts of oil after air started gurgling (oil temp was ~140F). My MMI had given me the Add oil warning, and in the past when I have topped it off it takes 1 full quart of oil to go from the low level indicator to full. So, doing the math, 2.3quarts extracted, plus 1 quart that I was low on already, that's 3.3quarts. I thought the 2.0 had an oil capacity of 4.9quarts? Where is the rest? I made sure to insert the Mityvac tube all the way to the bottom of the dipstick tube.
Even more, I was so suspicious the first time I extracted it, that I decided to put that oil back into the engine and move the car to a more flat surface, since I it was sitting in a slight incline. No difference, same 2.3quarts came out. At that point I decided to continue and added 3.3quarts of fresh oil, changed the filter, read the oil level from the MMI and it said it was full.

I went into Amazon and ordered a dipstick, should arrive Monday. Not sure if the MMI reading is off, and it's telling me the level is full when it's missing ~1.5quarts, or could it be that the Mityvac didn't get it all out? Any thoughts are appreciated.
freinando is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 05:23 PM
  #2  
AudiWorld Member
 
gguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 436
Default

Originally Posted by freinando View Post
I bought the Mityvac 7201 fluid extractor. I have a 2.0 C7, so the oil filter is easily accessible and I saw that I could siphon out the oil from the dipstick tube so I did it myself.

The thing is, the Mityvac only got out ~2.3quarts of oil after air started gurgling (oil temp was ~140F). My MMI had given me the Add oil warning, and in the past when I have topped it off it takes 1 full quart of oil to go from the low level indicator to full. So, doing the math, 2.3quarts extracted, plus 1 quart that I was low on already, that's 3.3quarts. I thought the 2.0 had an oil capacity of 4.9quarts? Where is the rest? I made sure to insert the Mityvac tube all the way to the bottom of the dipstick tube.
Even more, I was so suspicious the first time I extracted it, that I decided to put that oil back into the engine and move the car to a more flat surface, since I it was sitting in a slight incline. No difference, same 2.3quarts came out. At that point I decided to continue and added 3.3quarts of fresh oil, changed the filter, read the oil level from the MMI and it said it was full.

I went into Amazon and ordered a dipstick, should arrive Monday. Not sure if the MMI reading is off, and it's telling me the level is full when it's missing ~1.5quarts, or could it be that the Mityvac didn't get it all out? Any thoughts are appreciated.
When I would change my 2.0T with an oil extractor, I found that I had to be sure that I pushed the tube down all the way a couple times or I wouldn't get all the oil. Then, I would reprime it a few times and give it plenty of time to drain, even after it gurgled. It won't get it all, but it should definitely get almost all of it. I don't have my 2.0t anymore and will be changing a 3.0T from the top instead pretty soon, so I'm interested to see how that goes. The dipstick is important though, more to make sure that you don't overfill it than anything else. I've bought mine from ECSTUNING.
gguy is online now  
Old 11-11-2018, 03:07 AM
  #3  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 227
Default

FWIW, I've done it 3 times, and usually get a bit over 4 qts, and like frienando above, some fiddling with tub is required.
Mesquite77 is offline  
Old 11-11-2018, 09:33 AM
  #4  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 70
Default

Originally Posted by freinando View Post
I bought the Mityvac 7201 fluid extractor. I have a 2.0 C7, so the oil filter is easily accessible and I saw that I could siphon out the oil from the dipstick tube so I did it myself.

The thing is, the Mityvac only got out ~2.3quarts of oil after air started gurgling (oil temp was ~140F). My MMI had given me the Add oil warning, and in the past when I have topped it off it takes 1 full quart of oil to go from the low level indicator to full. So, doing the math, 2.3quarts extracted, plus 1 quart that I was low on already, that's 3.3quarts. I thought the 2.0 had an oil capacity of 4.9quarts? Where is the rest? I made sure to insert the Mityvac tube all the way to the bottom of the dipstick tube.
Even more, I was so suspicious the first time I extracted it, that I decided to put that oil back into the engine and move the car to a more flat surface, since I it was sitting in a slight incline. No difference, same 2.3quarts came out. At that point I decided to continue and added 3.3quarts of fresh oil, changed the filter, read the oil level from the MMI and it said it was full.

I went into Amazon and ordered a dipstick, should arrive Monday. Not sure if the MMI reading is off, and it's telling me the level is full when it's missing ~1.5quarts, or could it be that the Mityvac didn't get it all out? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Fluid extractors depend on drawing and maintaining vacuum in the siphon line to operate properly. Air bubbles in the line at the start or entry during transfer will defeat the flow. This is a fragile process no matter what extractor is used. There are all sorts of ways that air can enter, poor initial vacuum, tube exposed in the sump etc etc. The procedure is not as foolproof or convenient as some people say. You need to be present during the withdrawal the entire time, watching, jiggling the tube etc. It takes me about 15 min. to just siphon. Adding setup, cleanup etc the job is about 30 min. and not as convenient or tidy as a bottom drain (but only if your car is set up for that). With a bottom drain you can open the plug and walk away to do other things. It takes me less time on the Dodge van using bottom drain than the top extraction on the Audi. I use a Topsider extractor which is all metal, squat, relatively heavy and stable. I can imagine light, unstable units will require more time/patience. It does not have level indication, a disadvantage. Why some users here overpraise this thing is a ?. But given the Audi arrangement under the car, top extraction is without question the way to go.
morris39 is online now  
Old 11-11-2018, 10:07 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 74
Default

Originally Posted by gguy View Post


When I would change my 2.0T with an oil extractor, I found that I had to be sure that I pushed the tube down all the way a couple times or I wouldn't get all the oil. Then, I would reprime it a few times and give it plenty of time to drain, even after it gurgled. It won't get it all, but it should definitely get almost all of it. I don't have my 2.0t anymore and will be changing a 3.0T from the top instead pretty soon, so I'm interested to see how that goes. The dipstick is important though, more to make sure that you don't overfill it than anything else. I've bought mine from ECSTUNING.
I've done three changes on my 2011 3.0 and it was a breeze. I had no problem finding the bottom of the sump and siphoning out the 7+ quarts. I haven't done my 2016 Audi that doesn't have a dip stick. That will be a little tricky making sure I don't overfill. I'll probably start out seeing how much I extracted with the markings on the Mityvac and then putting that much back in and then checking the MMI.

Anyone know if the dipstick is the same on the 2011 and 2016? If so, I can change the oil on my 2016 when my kid's 2011 is in town.
UCLABB is offline  
Old 11-11-2018, 11:08 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Member
 
gguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 436
Default

Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
I've done three changes on my 2011 3.0 and it was a breeze. I had no problem finding the bottom of the sump and siphoning out the 7+ quarts. I haven't done my 2016 Audi that doesn't have a dip stick. That will be a little tricky making sure I don't overfill. I'll probably start out seeing how much I extracted with the markings on the Mityvac and then putting that much back in and then checking the MMI.

Anyone know if the dipstick is the same on the 2011 and 2016? If so, I can change the oil on my 2016 when my kid's 2011 is in town.
Thanks for the information. If you go to ECSTUNING.com, you can search for the part numbers on the two cars and see if they are the same, but it looks like it probably is the same part as far as I can see.
gguy is online now  
Old 11-11-2018, 01:56 PM
  #7  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 25
Default

Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
I've done three changes on my 2011 3.0 and it was a breeze. I had no problem finding the bottom of the sump and siphoning out the 7+ quarts. I haven't done my 2016 Audi that doesn't have a dip stick. That will be a little tricky making sure I don't overfill. I'll probably start out seeing how much I extracted with the markings on the Mityvac and then putting that much back in and then checking the MMI.

Anyone know if the dipstick is the same on the 2011 and 2016? If so, I can change the oil on my 2016 when my kid's 2011 is in town.
Thatís the thing. I extracted it twice and both times got 2.3 quarts out. Is it possible I was running that low in oil? I had just gotten the MMI low oil warning 3 days prior.
PS: the dipstick part number for 2.0T C7 is 06J-115-611E. Getting mine tomorrow, it should answer a lot of questions.
freinando is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 03:46 PM
  #8  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 25
Default

Update: The dipstick arrived today. It shows the oil level right at the MAX line, same information Iím getting from the MMI. The question now is how did I miss the 1.5 quart remaining, even after doing the extraction twice.

Looking at the mityvac tube itís got an angled opening at the bottom. I may need to cut it flat, so that air does not enter and it can really sit flat at the bottom and maybe fixes the issue.

Nevertheless I now have to live with doing an oil change and ending with a mixture of 1/3 dirty and 2/3 of new oil. Definitely not very happy about it...
freinando is offline  
Old 11-13-2018, 01:56 AM
  #9  
AudiWorld Super User
 
tenspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Honeoye New York USA
Posts: 4,031
Default

Originally Posted by freinando View Post
Looking at the mityvac tube itís got an angled opening at the bottom. I may need to cut it flat, so that air does not enter and it can really sit flat at the bottom and maybe fixes the issue.
I put a wrap of electrical tape around my suction hose to use as a guide.

Don't push on the tube too hard after it bottoms out. One guy did and it kinked. He had to drop the oil pan to extract it.
tenspeed is offline  
Old 11-13-2018, 05:03 AM
  #10  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 25
Default

Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I put a wrap of electrical tape around my suction hose to use as a guide.
Interesting, can you please expand on where and how do you exactly place it?
freinando is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Change DIY discrepancy


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: