Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Oil Change DIY discrepancy

Old 11-10-2018, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Change DIY discrepancy

I bought the Mityvac 7201 fluid extractor. I have a 2.0 C7, so the oil filter is easily accessible and I saw that I could siphon out the oil from the dipstick tube so I did it myself.

The thing is, the Mityvac only got out ~2.3quarts of oil after air started gurgling (oil temp was ~140F). My MMI had given me the Add oil warning, and in the past when I have topped it off it takes 1 full quart of oil to go from the low level indicator to full. So, doing the math, 2.3quarts extracted, plus 1 quart that I was low on already, that's 3.3quarts. I thought the 2.0 had an oil capacity of 4.9quarts? Where is the rest? I made sure to insert the Mityvac tube all the way to the bottom of the dipstick tube.
Even more, I was so suspicious the first time I extracted it, that I decided to put that oil back into the engine and move the car to a more flat surface, since I it was sitting in a slight incline. No difference, same 2.3quarts came out. At that point I decided to continue and added 3.3quarts of fresh oil, changed the filter, read the oil level from the MMI and it said it was full.

I went into Amazon and ordered a dipstick, should arrive Monday. Not sure if the MMI reading is off, and it's telling me the level is full when it's missing ~1.5quarts, or could it be that the Mityvac didn't get it all out? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by freinando
I bought the Mityvac 7201 fluid extractor. I have a 2.0 C7, so the oil filter is easily accessible and I saw that I could siphon out the oil from the dipstick tube so I did it myself.

The thing is, the Mityvac only got out ~2.3quarts of oil after air started gurgling (oil temp was ~140F). My MMI had given me the Add oil warning, and in the past when I have topped it off it takes 1 full quart of oil to go from the low level indicator to full. So, doing the math, 2.3quarts extracted, plus 1 quart that I was low on already, that's 3.3quarts. I thought the 2.0 had an oil capacity of 4.9quarts? Where is the rest? I made sure to insert the Mityvac tube all the way to the bottom of the dipstick tube.
Even more, I was so suspicious the first time I extracted it, that I decided to put that oil back into the engine and move the car to a more flat surface, since I it was sitting in a slight incline. No difference, same 2.3quarts came out. At that point I decided to continue and added 3.3quarts of fresh oil, changed the filter, read the oil level from the MMI and it said it was full.

I went into Amazon and ordered a dipstick, should arrive Monday. Not sure if the MMI reading is off, and it's telling me the level is full when it's missing ~1.5quarts, or could it be that the Mityvac didn't get it all out? Any thoughts are appreciated.
When I would change my 2.0T with an oil extractor, I found that I had to be sure that I pushed the tube down all the way a couple times or I wouldn't get all the oil. Then, I would reprime it a few times and give it plenty of time to drain, even after it gurgled. It won't get it all, but it should definitely get almost all of it. I don't have my 2.0t anymore and will be changing a 3.0T from the top instead pretty soon, so I'm interested to see how that goes. The dipstick is important though, more to make sure that you don't overfill it than anything else. I've bought mine from ECSTUNING.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

FWIW, I've done it 3 times, and usually get a bit over 4 qts, and like frienando above, some fiddling with tub is required.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Fluid extractors depend on drawing and maintaining vacuum in the siphon line to operate properly. Air bubbles in the line at the start or entry during transfer will defeat the flow. This is a fragile process no matter what extractor is used. There are all sorts of ways that air can enter, poor initial vacuum, tube exposed in the sump etc etc. The procedure is not as foolproof or convenient as some people say. You need to be present during the withdrawal the entire time, watching, jiggling the tube etc. It takes me about 15 min. to just siphon. Adding setup, cleanup etc the job is about 30 min. and not as convenient or tidy as a bottom drain (but only if your car is set up for that). With a bottom drain you can open the plug and walk away to do other things. It takes me less time on the Dodge van using bottom drain than the top extraction on the Audi. I use a Topsider extractor which is all metal, squat, relatively heavy and stable. I can imagine light, unstable units will require more time/patience. It does not have level indication, a disadvantage. Why some users here overpraise this thing is a ?. But given the Audi arrangement under the car, top extraction is without question the way to go.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gguy

When I would change my 2.0T with an oil extractor, I found that I had to be sure that I pushed the tube down all the way a couple times or I wouldn't get all the oil. Then, I would reprime it a few times and give it plenty of time to drain, even after it gurgled. It won't get it all, but it should definitely get almost all of it. I don't have my 2.0t anymore and will be changing a 3.0T from the top instead pretty soon, so I'm interested to see how that goes. The dipstick is important though, more to make sure that you don't overfill it than anything else. I've bought mine from ECSTUNING.
I've done three changes on my 2011 3.0 and it was a breeze. I had no problem finding the bottom of the sump and siphoning out the 7+ quarts. I haven't done my 2016 Audi that doesn't have a dip stick. That will be a little tricky making sure I don't overfill. I'll probably start out seeing how much I extracted with the markings on the Mityvac and then putting that much back in and then checking the MMI.

Anyone know if the dipstick is the same on the 2011 and 2016? If so, I can change the oil on my 2016 when my kid's 2011 is in town.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by UCLABB
I've done three changes on my 2011 3.0 and it was a breeze. I had no problem finding the bottom of the sump and siphoning out the 7+ quarts. I haven't done my 2016 Audi that doesn't have a dip stick. That will be a little tricky making sure I don't overfill. I'll probably start out seeing how much I extracted with the markings on the Mityvac and then putting that much back in and then checking the MMI.

Anyone know if the dipstick is the same on the 2011 and 2016? If so, I can change the oil on my 2016 when my kid's 2011 is in town.
Thanks for the information. If you go to ECSTUNING.com, you can search for the part numbers on the two cars and see if they are the same, but it looks like it probably is the same part as far as I can see.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UCLABB

That’s the thing. I extracted it twice and both times got 2.3 quarts out. Is it possible I was running that low in oil? I had just gotten the MMI low oil warning 3 days prior.
PS: the dipstick part number for 2.0T C7 is 06J-115-611E. Getting mine tomorrow, it should answer a lot of questions.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update: The dipstick arrived today. It shows the oil level right at the MAX line, same information I’m getting from the MMI. The question now is how did I miss the 1.5 quart remaining, even after doing the extraction twice.

Looking at the mityvac tube it’s got an angled opening at the bottom. I may need to cut it flat, so that air does not enter and it can really sit flat at the bottom and maybe fixes the issue.

Nevertheless I now have to live with doing an oil change and ending with a mixture of 1/3 dirty and 2/3 of new oil. Definitely not very happy about it...
Old 11-13-2018, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Looking at the mityvac tube it’s got an angled opening at the bottom. I may need to cut it flat, so that air does not enter and it can really sit flat at the bottom and maybe fixes the issue.
I put a wrap of electrical tape around my suction hose to use as a guide.

Don't push on the tube too hard after it bottoms out. One guy did and it kinked. He had to drop the oil pan to extract it.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I put a wrap of electrical tape around my suction hose to use as a guide.
Interesting, can you please expand on where and how do you exactly place it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Change DIY discrepancy