Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Truphone - please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Truphone - please help

After a long saga of lost SIM cards and account activation errors I finally got a working SIM card and was able to activate it online (or at least I think it activated it). Now I inserted the SIM card into Audi's slot, got the 3G symbol and attempted to go online. (I have no way of checking SIM card otherwise, since all my phones are Verizon with no SIM slots).

First it told me to turn on "data roaming", which I did. But after that it still told me "unable to make connection, try again later". The signal strength is 2-3 bars (medium). Should I change any settings? It does say "vodaphone.nl".

Those whose were able to get Truphone to work, please let me know what you had to do and what your settings are.

Thank you.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

I thought the APN for Truphone should be "truphone.com" with user and PW left blank (might need a space on either of these if blank doesn't take).
Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you! This helped. I was able to get the data connection working, but it's showing 2G, rather than 3G. When I had T-mobile trial period it was working at 3G. Now with Truphone it's connecting via ATT network (at least that's what it says).

In your experience, are you able to get Truphone to work in 3G? What did you have to do?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
Thank you! This helped. I was able to get the data connection working, but it's showing 2G, rather than 3G. When I had T-mobile trial period it was working at 3G. Now with Truphone it's connecting via ATT network (at least that's what it says).

In your experience, are you able to get Truphone to work in 3G? What did you have to do?
It is trying to connect to the AT&T network which will only work in 2G with a T-Mobile sim. Turn roaming off, remove the card and reinsert and see if it shows T-Mobile. (Obviously, you need to be in a T-Mobile 3G area or it will still show 2G).
Old 11-07-2013, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Snagitseven, thank you very much! It wasn't as simple as reinserting the SIM card, but it worked. I tried reinserting the SIM card, then I changed the APN from truphone.com back to T-mobile (m2m.t-mobile.com), but that didn't work. Then I changed the APN back to truphone.com and at that time it worked.

I tried Google search and worked well. I don't need Google Earth, so my data costs will be low. Google Search is simply awesome and sending destination to my car also is very cool.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, I ordered the Truphone SIM. It works fine, but only will pick up 2G as the only network it wants to connect to is AT&T. To get 3G, must be connected to T-Mobile. I asked Truphone tech support about the issue and they suggested taking the SIM out, putting it in a phone, select T-Mobile 3G network, register it, remove and put back in car. Didn't work. When I informed Truphone, they sent this reply:

I am writing on behalf of my colleague Nuria. We have just got a reply from our technical team regarding your issue. If the sim card connects and works properly in your mobile device it means that there must be an issue with Audi system. However there should be a way in your Audi system to manually select the T-mobile network. In this kind of situation you should contact them in order to receive proper assistance.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Have a great day,

Kind and warm regards,

Bartek,

Truphone Expert

So does anyone know how to get this SIM to connect to T-Mobile?