Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Ready to buy, but what to buy, Audi A6 Prestige or BMW535xi

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to buy, but what to buy, Audi A6 Prestige or BMW535xi

After 25 years of BMW ownership, for the first time I am seriously considering something else, the Audi A6 Prestige.
Took 2 seperate test drives and loved its speed and handling (wish steering could be tighter)and overall ride (interior and electronics are great also)
I put a lot of miles on my cars. I sold my 1997 BMW528i with 313,000 miles and my current 2005 BMW545i sport now has 190,000 miles on it. My question to Audi owners is this; Will an Audi A6 hold up as well for a long period of time or for this kind of milage?. I know it is a new model in 2012 but an answer based on Audi history is the best I can ask for.
I am taking the BMW535xi for a test drive next week (I drove the rear wheel 535i last year) to make a final decision.
Tough finding an Audi in the color and build I want this time of year so maybe I might have to wait for the 2013 and would take a european delivery in Sept, not sure. Decisions, Decisions
Old 04-22-2012, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Well, just like BMW there is a chance you will get a bad apple. I have owned three Audie since 2004 and have had only one I scheduled repair in those times. I wouldn't hesitate. As a long time Audi owner, reliability is not a concern to me. They have improved dramatically since the lag 90s. Good luck. Both great cars.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

auditron, Current 2012 A6 owner here considering buying a 535xi in a few month. As you know, the 5 series is no longer the 5 series you had in the pass. It is now a compromise of luxury and sportiness while the A6 is more of a sport sedan. I am not sure if you play with the Audi's drive select during your test drive of the A6, but you can adjust the A6's steering to be as tight as the 535i. The 535i with the sport package does handle pretty well, but the 19" run flats are problematic. Some oweners are going thru a tire or two and rims every few thousand mile. You can buy BMW's tire and wheel insurance, but its just another added cost at $1500.
Audi is built just as solid as BMW, it will easily do 150000 miles, but like all German cars, maintenance cost is a major factor at higher mileage.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
auditron, Current 2012 A6 owner here considering buying a 535xi in a few month. As you know, the 5 series is no longer the 5 series you had in the pass. It is now a compromise of luxury and sportiness while the A6 is more of a sport sedan. I am not sure if you play with the Audi's drive select during your test drive of the A6, but you can adjust the A6's steering to be as tight as the 535i. The 535i with the sport package does handle pretty well, but the 19" run flats are problematic. Some oweners are going thru a tire or two and rims every few thousand mile. You can buy BMW's tire and wheel insurance, but its just another added cost at $1500.
Audi is built just as solid as BMW, it will easily do 150000 miles, but like all German cars, maintenance cost is a major factor at higher mileage.
Thanks for the tip on tightening up the steering. Will try that. Love the active steering on BMW but it is not available in the all wheel drive xi and i really want all wheel this time. Yes I hated the run-flats and that could be a deal killer for many.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am a 30 year member of BMWCCA and probably had a BMW for most of those years. MY last two BMWs put me over the edge. Both cars had the top end of the motors replaced from the block up. BMW did everything possible to avoid a recall. I just bought my third AUDI, a 2012 Premium Plus A6 with the 18" sports package. I will probably never own another BMW. The AUDI is a perfect alternative to driving my Porsches. I am hooked.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hard for me to shake that BMW addiction

Originally Posted by sgroer
Well, just like BMW there is a chance you will get a bad apple. I have owned three Audie since 2004 and have had only one I scheduled repair in those times. I wouldn't hesitate. As a long time Audi owner, reliability is not a concern to me. They have improved dramatically since the lag 90s. Good luck. Both great cars.
Audi sales have come up a long way since the early 90's when they hit a low of 12,000 units during the time they got that false rap on unintended acceleration. Today's sales results indicate they are really reliable. What a comeback?
Besides, Those full LED headlights are definitly to cool to resist. A must get option. Great look
Old 04-22-2012, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the lights did it for me as well. I think it's all in the luck of the draw when purchasing in this class of car. They all can be really great and reliably cars or you could end up with one of the 10% rejects and want to poke your own eyes out with a stick for buying it. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2012, 02:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is a video comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0rMdjqNxMI

I bought a 2012 Prestige and am happy with the aesthetics, power, fit & finish, MMI features, and do love the LED lights as others have mentioned. I am not satisfied with the Bose stereo; it lacks punch to be honest. The voice commands especially for navigation are not up to the level or accuracy you would get with an iPhone. I'm not sure how the BMW compares on that.

That said, I have two colleagues who purchased the 535xi, both of whom had fuel pump complications and troubles with the run-flat tires. I'm quite happy with my choice and would make it again.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still own BMW 535i 2009 & recently purchased A6 after deciding to keep my old BMW as I did not like the steering feel or handling of new 535i. Take a look at summary of BMW 5 series issues:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=591357

While this may be a small percentage of owners (except for RFT issues with sport pkg) one may be randomly hit by anyone, for me throttle delay on 535i was a deciding factor when I comapred A6 to 535i. As other members suggested as long as you have good support from dealer and maintain vehicle both can be the same. But it's matter of luck, now RFT is indeed an issue but I got rid of them long time ago and got a spare (even no space for it) for long drives. Both are fine cars, anyone can be proud to own one. A6 is a beautiful car & it is the best value for money you can get out there.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 535 vs, A6

Originally Posted by ThomasH
Here is a video comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0rMdjqNxMI

I bought a 2012 Prestige and am happy with the aesthetics, power, fit & finish, MMI features, and do love the LED lights as others have mentioned. I am not satisfied with the Bose stereo; it lacks punch to be honest. The voice commands especially for navigation are not up to the level or accuracy you would get with an iPhone. I'm not sure how the BMW compares on that.

That said, I have two colleagues who purchased the 535xi, both of whom had fuel pump complications and troubles with the run-flat tires. I'm quite happy with my choice and would make it again.
I have long legs, and I felt like I was sitting in the back seat of the 535. I put the seat all the way back, and I was not comfortable in the BMW. I have plenty of room in my A6.

Quick Reply: Ready to buy, but what to buy, Audi A6 Prestige or BMW535xi