Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Real Time Maps update from google maps or...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real Time Maps update from google maps or...?

Apologies to those who may already know the answer to this ...

Which of the following is true?

Using the Audi Connect feature for google maps

1) DOES update maps/roads/highways/buildings in realtime and no updates are necessary
2) DOES NOT update maps/roads/highways/buildings and you must go to the dealer to update new construction in roads/highways/buildilngs

or 3) none of the above

THANKS!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google earth overlay is basically the same map as the one you see on your computer device. If you have an active audi connect, then you will get the latest google earth overlay, which pretty much negates the need to update your hard drive based nav map.

Coming back to your question, Yes, you do get to see the latest info on an active audi connect google earth overlay and no updates are necessary.

Last edited by salvadorik; 10-20-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

The navigation data is not being updated via Google, only the satellite overlay is as current as Google provides it. If you drive on a road that has just been built, the navigation system will show off road but the Google overlay may show that you are on a road. To get updated navigation data you will need to go to the dealer and have an expensive map update installed.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
The navigation data is not being updated via Google, only the satellite overlay is as current as Google provides it. If you drive on a road that has just been built, the navigation system will show off road but the Google overlay may show that you are on a road. To get updated navigation data you will need to go to the dealer and have an expensive map update installed.
I would further add that the Audi Connect/Google POI info is updated dynamically via the T-Mobile connection but the car's built-in internal POI data including addresses is not and is fixed until the Nav data is upgraded by the dealer. Also, the car's Nav will not be able to navigate to a POI or address or navigate on a new street that isn't in the internal map data. You might see the street or POI on the Google Eartrh overlay or POI from the Google Online Destinations on the Standard or Google Earth overlay maps but the Nav can't get there using any new streets that aren't in the internal database.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I would further add that the Audi Connect/Google POI info is updated dynamically via the T-Mobile connection but the car's built-in internal POI data including addresses is not and is fixed until the Nav data is upgraded by the dealer. Also, the car's Nav will not be able to navigate to a POI or address or navigate on a new street that isn't in the internal map data. You might see the street or POI on the Google Eartrh overlay or POI from the Google Online Destinations on the Standard or Google Earth overlay maps but the Nav can't get there using any new streets that aren't in the internal database.
Well that surely takes some of the value away from Audi Connect. They need to make Audi Connect more tightly integrated with Google and allow it to use Google's maps and info. I think once they offer LTE they can easily ****** all that data and cache it on the HDD so when you drift out of coverage it has that all cached fro a given route you are traveling.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by keithl
Well that surely takes some of the value away from Audi Connect. They need to make Audi Connect more tightly integrated with Google and allow it to use Google's maps and info. I think once they offer LTE they can easily ****** all that data and cache it on the HDD so when you drift out of coverage it has that all cached fro a given route you are traveling.
While it would be nice if underlying Google data was transmitted dynamically instead of the built-in NavTeq maps, like the Tesla, if the car is out of the provider's cel range, you would get nothing. Even if, as you suggested, you could download a cached map of your route in advance, it would be limited to the route itself. Downloading even just a region of maps to cache with LTE, would take quite some time.

While there may be a few newer roads missing from the internal map database, particularly as time goes on, I find the dynamically updated Audi Connect/Google Online Destinations to be a very useful tool, even more so than my Garmins which require a once a year update for POIs to stay current (and still behind Google for POI timeliness). Google Online Destination POIs are far more comprehensive than what the car's internal POI database provides and are continuously updated. And then there are all of the other services Audi Connect provides such as Google Earth overlay, weather, parking, news, gas prices, events and myAudi/Send to Map, voice command integration, etc.

Other than some niggling quirks, my only significant gripe with the Audi 3G Nav Plus navigation is the high cost of map upgrades that require a dealer install (apparently, not uncommon with other auto brands). Otherwise, I'm very pleased with the tight Nav Plus/Audi Connect/Google integration. Well worth the $15 @ month IMO.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
...my only significant gripe with the Audi 3G Nav Plus navigation is the high cost of map upgrades that require a dealer install (apparently, not uncommon with other auto brands). Otherwise, I'm very pleased with the tight Nav Plus/Audi Connect/Google integration. Well worth the $15 @ month IMO.
My Mercedes and GM nav map updates were either consistent with what Audi is charging, or more. Its a vertical market, they can pretty much charge what they want.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

I hope that some day the Apple idea will come true and the iPhone (Android too if it's still around then) can AirPlay to the navigation screen, with full (or at least limited) control via MMI touchpad or just voice control (still dreaming here)...
Old 07-15-2018, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi

got a question

i have the MMI sd edition 2017/2018 version, now
my collegaue drives with the same car, but he ha has the MMI plus edition, and bigger screen, he gets the map update notification, so he downloaded the whole complete package
can i use his downloaded edition? i have putted the mib1, mib2 and 2 files, on an sd card, put it in sd slot 2 , but the update wont work
cant i use the map update from the MMI plus for my MMI SD edition?
Old 07-15-2018, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by NoFate
hi

got a question

i have the MMI sd edition 2017/2018 version, now
my collegaue drives with the same car, but he ha has the MMI plus edition, and bigger screen, he gets the map update notification, so he downloaded the whole complete package
can i use his downloaded edition? i have putted the mib1, mib2 and 2 files, on an sd card, put it in sd slot 2 , but the update wont work
cant i use the map update from the MMI plus for my MMI SD edition?
Short answer is no. The two systems are very different and use different map data files

Quick Reply: Real Time Maps update from google maps or...?