Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Remove rear license plate mount?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remove rear license plate mount?

Hi everyone,

I'm assuming it's fairly easy to remove the rear license plate mount (2 screws and then some strong adhesive I believe), but is this possible with US plates? I wasn't sure if there would even be the proper holes drilled underneath for US plates... (2018 A6)

It seems really bulky so I'd rather have a small frame around my license plate there if's an easy fix.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's held on with those two screws and a generous amount of double-sided tape. It's best if you leave the trunk in the sun or use a hairdryer / heat gun to gently warm the bracket before trying to pull it off. To remove the residue from the double-sided tape, I used Goo Gone.

As far as replacements go, I wanted to go with the BMW style bracket, but the holes that attach the bracket to the car don't line up (the Audi holes are further apart). I ended up going with the VW Jetta version from Amazon for ~$20 (link below) and couldn't be happier. Very clean look (you don't see the bracket at all), no rattles when opening/closing the trunk, etc.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-26-2019, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $5.00

Cruiser Accessories 79150 Universal License Plate Mounting Plate, Black
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
Nightwind_Hawk (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks! Looks simple and inexpensive! Just ordered it and will post a pic of what it looks like.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 Audi Q5 stripped licence plate bracket nuts to hold plate on

Originally Posted by Nightwind_Hawk
Thanks! Looks simple and inexpensive! Just ordered it and will post a pic of what it looks like.
You'll need about 2 washers under each of the 2 screws because the screws will bottom out if you don't and the bracket won't tighten down.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Installed the product recommended above yesterday, and I'm really happy with it! It's a bit thinner, but much smaller in width/height so that it matches the exact size of the license plate, allowing the chrome to show completely on the bottom (the mount that came with the car covered the chrome partially).

Old 08-04-2019, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Weavo24
Cruiser Accessories 79150 Universal License Plate Mounting Plate, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00032K4VA..._9a1oDbWBN13KB
Bought this bracket at a local auto parts store for $6. I had the rear of the car in the sun for about a hour. Three of the spinning bolts holders were a PIA to remove. Then removed the two screws and sloooowwwwly pulled the OEM bracket off. I found bolts and spacers that fit on the after market bracket (without the bolts bottoming out). Done!
Old 08-15-2019, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Defender
It's held on with those two screws and a generous amount of double-sided tape. It's best if you leave the trunk in the sun or use a hairdryer / heat gun to gently warm the bracket before trying to pull it off. To remove the residue from the double-sided tape, I used Goo Gone.

As far as replacements go, I wanted to go with the BMW style bracket, but the holes that attach the bracket to the car don't line up (the Audi holes are further apart). I ended up going with the VW Jetta version from Amazon for ~$20 (link below) and couldn't be happier. Very clean look (you don't see the bracket at all), no rattles when opening/closing the trunk, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FPVL3QQ..._t1_B07K2J15PK
Looking at the bracket pic, I see the mounting holes to attach to car but how is license plate installed - there are no holes shown? Is the bracket plastic or metal? I need 4 holes for my plate as I have chrome covers for the screws and I don't want to leave holes showing on the plate when attached? Otherwise I guess I'll go with the $5.00 option also provided even though it's thicker. Thanks.