Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Retrofit RMC to MIB2

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofit RMC to MIB2 (MMI 4G and Navigation)

Hi all,

I bought an Audi A6 C7 2016 premium package with RMC. This year I decided to upgrade the system to MIB2. I have been getting the parts on Ebay and this weekend I decided to try the head unit (4G1035025). Unfortunately, I plug the new unit and the screen didn't come out and the control where the nav, radio, media buttons are do not respond.

I have been investigating for quite some time and the threads that I have found do not have the details that if after plug the unit a change in the codes need to be done. I also tried with VCDS and I went to the 'Electronics 1' tab and clicked 'Navigation' but I got an error that the control didn't answer or responded or something like that.

Also, I am attaching a picture of the two head units (Original RMC and the new one). I modified the kafra pink cable from the car to make fit in the gray plug.

Below are the threads that I have found but in the case of the Audizine they does not mention what they did with the codes.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...ation-2885127/

Tegra 3 MMI Upgrade in Pre-Facelift A6 - Page 2

Any help will be greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
Dan
Attached Images  

Last edited by DH123; 08-12-2017 at 05:52 AM. Reason: To add MMI 4G in the title
Old 08-13-2017, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by DH123
Hi all,

I bought an Audi A6 C7 2016 premium package with RMC. This year I decided to upgrade the system to MIB2. I have been getting the parts on Ebay and this weekend I decided to try the head unit (4G1035025). Unfortunately, I plug the new unit and the screen didn't come out and the control where the nav, radio, media buttons are do not respond.

I have been investigating for quite some time and the threads that I have found do not have the details that if after plug the unit a change in the codes need to be done. I also tried with VCDS and I went to the 'Electronics 1' tab and clicked 'Navigation' but I got an error that the control didn't answer or responded or something like that.

Also, I am attaching a picture of the two head units (Original RMC and the new one). I modified the kafra pink cable from the car to make fit in the gray plug.

Below are the threads that I have found but in the case of the Audizine they does not mention what they did with the codes.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...ation-2885127/

Tegra 3 MMI Upgrade in Pre-Facelift A6 - Page 2

Any help will be greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
Dan
You will need to get the unit unlocked by a dealer before it will work in your car. All major components in Audi's these days are locked to the VIN number and need to be unlocked if swapped between vehicles
Old 08-13-2017, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by John Simcox
You will need to get the unit unlocked by a dealer before it will work in your car. All major components in Audi's these days are locked to the VIN number and need to be unlocked if swapped between vehicles
Thanks John. Quick comment, since I thought that something was wrong when I tested the head unit for the first time, I unplugged it and put the original RMC back in. I will plug the new one back again and I was wondering if I need to take any information of the new unit such as the serial number, receipt where I bought it, etc...before I go to the dealer.

Also, just to double check, are the connections that I made right? I was wondering if I plugged the jacks in the right connectors.

Lastly, are the two purple plugs on the top left of the new head unit for the front and rear cameras. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dan
Old 08-13-2017, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

Thanks John. Quick comment, since I thought that something was wrong when I tested the head unit for the first time, I unplugged it and put the original RMC back in. I will plug the new one back again and I was wondering if I need to take any information of the new unit such as the serial number, receipt where I bought it, etc...before I go to the dealer.

Also, just to double check, are the connections that I made right? I was wondering if I plugged the jacks in the right connectors.

Lastly, are the two purple plugs on the top left of the new head unit for the front and rear cameras. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dan
I think, although I may be wrong, that the dealer needs the car to decode the unit and not just the item to be decoded. As to your other quiestions I can't answer I'm afraid
Old 08-14-2017, 08:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks John. Unfortunately today I called to the Audi here in North Austin and they didn't want to give me the unlock codes. The other issue is that the main unit does not have the AUZ serial number visible. They said that the newest models such as the MIB2 no longer have it, so I need to find a dealer that can be willing to help me.
This afternoon I tried the new LCD screen 8" with the original RMC head unit and the screen pops up but it is completely black. I can herd the media and the radio but the screen is black. Do I need to check any code or change something with VCDS? Thanks.

Regards,
Dan

Last edited by DH123; 08-15-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Did you manage to sort out your upgrade?????

Hello,

I have having the same issue, bought Mib2 unit on ebay to replace my Factory Rmc system. I was told its a straight replace apart from component proctection and triming the harness which goes to the monitor. I replaced everything as I was told but their is no power to the radio buttons or monitor. You can hear that the cd unit when you press the eject button and thats all. Do I need to swat any wire or any thing? Does it need any coding please let me know thank you.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Aronkhan
Hello,

I have having the same issue, bought Mib2 unit on ebay to replace my Factory Rmc system. I was told its a straight replace apart from component proctection and triming the harness which goes to the monitor. I replaced everything as I was told but their is no power to the radio buttons or monitor. You can hear that the cd unit when you press the eject button and thats all. Do I need to swat any wire or any thing? Does it need any coding please let me know thank you.
Unfortunately it is not straightforward. I learned that there is some adapter that we need to plug (see link below). Also, some people told me that I need a radio unit but until today I haven't been able to figure out the part number. I am still looking and I glad to hear that you are also trying to achieve the same. if I figure out something new I will let you know or if you find more information please share it.

https://www.kufatec.us/shop/en/retro...ation-a6-a7-4g

Regards,
Dan
Daniel
Old 11-15-2017, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Unfortunately it is not straightforward. I learned that there is some adapter that we need to plug (see link below). Also, some people told me that I need a radio unit but until today I haven't been able to figure out the part number. I am still looking and I glad to hear that you are also trying to achieve the same. if I figure out something new I will let you know or if you find more information please share it.

https://www.kufatec.us/shop/en/retro...ation-a6-a7-4g

Regards,
Dan
Daniel

Hello Dan,

Thank you for the quick reply. I spoke to some one who is going to fix mine next week. I will let you know if it’s successful.

Regards

Aron