Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Right front lower control arm bushing leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Right front lower control arm bushing leaking

So I got my oil change today and I was told my front right control arm bushing is leaking *see attached.

My question is, the shop that found it recommended only changing the reward (i believe) on both sides, 4G0 407 694L and 4G0 407 693L. Aftermarket, they want $1400

A second shop recommended changing all 4 lower arms, with a alignment, for $1200, aftermarket. (I used this shop a lot before, New German Performance)

A third shop said, because my car only has 58K miles on it, that I should only replace the one bushing, and it will be $280.

Any of you chime in? I'm thinking the 2nd shop would be the best, the specialize in VW and audi.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:37 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Those exact same arms failed on my S6 after just 25k miles. Those parts you listed are revised and (knock on wood) so far have not been an issue 15k miles later.
Dealer parts alone for just those two would be $1200+.
I would think you could get away with just replacing those two, but it would not hurt to do the 4.
I figure most indy's would use generic aftermarket parts, not sure the cost there, but 034 has their density line with all 4 arms for just $570. They should never leak again.
https://store.034motorsport.com/dens...a5-s5-rs5.html
or you could try FCP Euro and have a lifetime warranty.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products?keywords=4G0407693L
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products?keywords=4G0407694L
I believe NGP is fairly well known and may even use the 034 parts if requested.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just found the same issue on my wife's car this morning.

If you don't mind, what did you end up doing?

I'm pretty handy and do a lot of my own car repairs. I may try to tackle this myself. If you replace all 4 arms, is an alignment necessary after?

Thanks,

ben
Old 02-10-2021, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by armourbl
Just found the same issue on my wife's car this morning.

If you don't mind, what did you end up doing?

I'm pretty handy and do a lot of my own car repairs. I may try to tackle this myself. If you replace all 4 arms, is an alignment necessary after?

Thanks,

ben

Actually did nothing. After looking at it myself and taking it to a different shop it looks like at ONE point it was leaking but is not leaking anymore. Its been dry so I haven't made any changes. Though if you do replace the rearward arms, its recommended to replace both side as well as an alignment. but in my searches, i found that buying a set of uppers and lowers was actually not that much more expensive and I might as well if i'm replacing part
Old 02-10-2021, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kevrhof
Actually did nothing. After looking at it myself and taking it to a different shop it looks like at ONE point it was leaking but is not leaking anymore. Its been dry so I haven't made any changes. Though if you do replace the rearward arms, its recommended to replace both side as well as an alignment. but in my searches, i found that buying a set of uppers and lowers was actually not that much more expensive and I might as well if i'm replacing part
I'd expect it stopped leaking because the fluid inside the bushing ran out.

I did find and watched the video below. Looks like more of a job than I want to deal with on my own, and requires a few special ball joint tools that I don't have. I guess I'll be checking my indy shop for quotes.

ben
Old 02-10-2021, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

when my tech and i examined it on a lift, he said the movement in the arm was still good and didn't think that it was an issue. he noticed a tiny hole where the fluid came out but had sealed over. he expected i hit a bad pothole - which living in the city is likely. but i haven't had an issue with the car. im toying with the idea of selling it so the idea of dropping $1500 right now for something that isn't broken is not on my priority. if i wanted to run the car till its death, i'll probably get a full kit.