Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Rotor Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had car in for oil change at 47k miles and the emailed report says I need replace front brakes (6mm) and rotors. The rotors were replaced at 17k miles. I have a call in to the service advisor to get his take but I have a question. Will replacing parts with non Audi rotors fix the issue? Is the Audi parts or something the way the car is designed. Sorry, I am very mechanically challenged.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it a problem with the car. Given my experience with German make automobiles (Audi and BMW) rotor warpage is pretty common. I suspect they are using a steel alloy that provides great stopping power at the sacrifice of durability. So, here is the rub. If there is a slight benefit from using OE rotors, it would only be in very hard braking. Of course, hard breaking will result in heat and ultimately warped rotors. On the other hand, if you are not on the track and spend your time driving at US highway speeds (or at least rarely, if ever hard breaking from 120 MPH) I doubt you will see much benefit over using aftermarket rotors that last longer. I am a fan of EBC, but Centric are supposed to be good. Some people claim StopTech rotors are pretty good too. Ultimately, you can buy a pair of rotors for a couple / few hundred bucks that will perform equally and last significantly longer than the $700/800 Audi will charge you.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I have heard a lot of people say that aftermarket rotors and pads is a much better way to go than using oem. Zimmerman rotors and Akabono (?) pads are what I see recommended. Replacing the front brakes also seems like a really easy DIY job.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

It seems that our cars require replacement of rotors more often than one would expect. Not end of world but I do believe Audi had a run of substandard rotors given that all 4 of mine warped by 12K miles and I'm now at 32K miles and things appear to be OK. One area of disappointment to me is the braking feel and lack of initial bite in my /15 A6 3.0T. My wife has a brand new A4 and the braking feel is much better -- way more initial bite and brakes feel much more powerful. Just inspires more confidence IMHO.

I am quite willing to sacrifice pad life/little brake dust for better initial bite. If anyone reads this and has replaced their pads with something other than OEM and experienced better initial bite I'd appreciate if you would share what pads you went with. Thanks.

Best,
Jeff
Old 12-10-2018, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned, the slotted EBC rotors I last had on my A6 before moving to my S4 were exceptionally good brakes. I coupled them with their Yellow Stuff pads. A bit more dust than the Red Stuff, but extremely good bite and control.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by arjayfon
As mentioned, the slotted EBC rotors I last had on my A6 before moving to my S4 were exceptionally good brakes. I coupled them with their Yellow Stuff pads. A bit more dust than the Red Stuff, but extremely good bite and control.
Appreciate that input thanks. Jotted this down on a piece of paper that I'll toss in the glove box for ready reference next set of brakes. Thanks again!

Jeff
Old 12-10-2018, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by arjayfon

Did they wear well? I have been told that the slotted rotors wear faster and are harder on the pads???