Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Rotor Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 04:18 PM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Somewhere, there is some bulletin about rotors premature warping and Audi will cover it. Your rotors were warped long ago, but now they are really bad. At 30k, I don't think Audi would cover it. There are many who have similar complaints like yourself. But, I do agree, if they will not cover the brakes, then aftermarket is the way to go.
The violent shaking you describe is rotors, not bearings.
Wife drives a '15 Acura RDX. Vibration was noticeable at low speed, let alone higher speed. This occurred at 15K miles. Acura put out a TSB for this exact problem. We had the rotors and pads replaced at no charge. Cause was rotors that were produced before a certain date. So they were cheap rotors for sure.
Why Audi is more than happy to install cheap rotors is beyond me. Seems like a common issue.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I brought it to the dealer just in case they might find something else, and they checked my alignment, which needs to be be done, as well.

Just ordered the Zimmerman 356mm rotors, and Akebono Ceramic pads, from Europaparts.com

I'm hoping to get way more than 30k miles from this set.

Originally Posted by bpd
Somewhere, there is some bulletin about rotors premature warping and Audi will cover it. Your rotors were warped long ago, but now they are really bad. At 30k, I don't think Audi would cover it. There are many who have similar complaints like yourself. But, I do agree, if they will not cover the brakes, then aftermarket is the way to go.
The violent shaking you describe is rotors, not bearings.
Wife drives a '15 Acura RDX. Vibration was noticeable at low speed, let alone higher speed. This occurred at 15K miles. Acura put out a TSB for this exact problem. We had the rotors and pads replaced at no charge. Cause was rotors that were produced before a certain date. So they were cheap rotors for sure.
Why Audi is more than happy to install cheap rotors is beyond me. Seems like a common issue.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 With 20 inch wheels

Car judders when braking, took to the garage and did the brake roll machine test.
They said my pads and disks are fine?
The mechanic said it might be my ABS pump but he wasnt sure,
Can anybody advise me what it might be? I'm still think discs myself!!
Thanks Simon
Attached Images   
Old 07-20-2017, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nakedhoof
I brought it to the dealer just in case they might find something else, and they checked my alignment, which needs to be be done, as well.

Just ordered the Zimmerman 356mm rotors, and Akebono Ceramic pads, from Europaparts.com

I'm hoping to get way more than 30k miles from this set.
My indy shop says our cars, let alone the 3.0, the brakes usually last between 35-40 before they need to be replaced
Old 07-20-2017, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kevrhof
My indy shop says our cars, let alone the 3.0, the brakes usually last between 35-40 before they need to be replaced
Good luck with that. We just had to replace rotors which were beyond spec for out of round at just 15,000 miles. Even one AoA employee recognized this is a known problem. The pedal pulsation and vibration had become absurd on such a young car. AoA handled the situation beyond poorly. The deception for which this company has recently become famous beyond their expectations apparently trickles down into more mundane Customer Relations issues.

Last edited by Sportstick; 07-20-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I purchased a certified 2016 A6 10 days ago and dropped it off yesterday to have the breaks looked at because of feeling some vibration when breaking hard on the interstate. At first, I ignored it then I read this thread. After having it all day they called back to say the front rotors need to be replaced and they are talking to the used car manager to see if he would pay for new rotors. I snapped back pretty quick and asked why it wasn't identified during the certification process and he said that was his question. Really makes me question the quality of the certification. I will see what they say today when I meet with him. If I hadn't seen this thread I would have probably been paying for new rotors down the road. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2017, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mc0898
I purchased a certified 2016 A6 10 days ago and dropped it off yesterday to have the breaks looked at because of feeling some vibration when breaking hard on the interstate. At first, I ignored it then I read this thread. After having it all day they called back to say the front rotors need to be replaced and they are talking to the used car manager to see if he would pay for new rotors. I snapped back pretty quick and asked why it wasn't identified during the certification process and he said that was his question. Really makes me question the quality of the certification. I will see what they say today when I meet with him. If I hadn't seen this thread I would have probably been paying for new rotors down the road. Thanks!
For the sake of reference, the Audi dealer price here for new front rotors and pads, installed and bedded was $830. I paid a fraction of that (which should have been zero) under "goodwill" as AoA refuses to recognize a warranty defect of young but significantly out-of-round rotors (not pad material transfer). Hope your outcome is better than mine.

If a bit of further help may be humbly offered, if you are having "breaks" looked at, that would be a search for any parts which cracked or failed. I think you are intending to look at "brakes".

Good luck!

Last edited by Sportstick; 07-25-2017 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Got the car back and they did replace the rotors for free. The action plan they gave me said it was from pad transfer marks.

[QUOTEIf a bit of further help may be humbly offered, if you are having "breaks" looked at, that would be a search for any parts which cracked or failed. I think you are intending to look at "brakes".

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Old 08-01-2017, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both a C7 A6 and a B9 Allroad. OE rotors all warped at relatively low mileage. Had similar issues with a BMW E9x. Can't say for sure, but I think they use softer metals that may stop better, but warp when they get hot. Whether or not the reason is valid, I will say I have abandoned Audi's brake wear components, especially when the dealer starts throwing around quotes of nearly a grand to replace rotors and pads on the front only. I am using EBC Red Stuff and their rotors. Been very happy with performance and so far, so good in terms of warping.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:28 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arjayfon
I have both a C7 A6 and a B9 Allroad. OE rotors all warped at relatively low mileage. Had similar issues with a BMW E9x. Can't say for sure, but I think they use softer metals that may stop better, but warp when they get hot. Whether or not the reason is valid, I will say I have abandoned Audi's brake wear components, especially when the dealer starts throwing around quotes of nearly a grand to replace rotors and pads on the front only. I am using EBC Red Stuff and their rotors. Been very happy with performance and so far, so good in terms of warping.
You had issues with the allroad already?

Quick Reply: Rotor Issues