Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Rough Downshifts

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Downshifts

Does anyone experience rough downshifts, when slowing, while the transmission is in Sport Mode?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dbg_dbg
Does anyone experience rough downshifts, when slowing, while the transmission is in Sport Mode?
I get these occasionally, even in D mode. It seems to be the 2-1 downshift. It's also worse when the engine is cold. Every time I leave my office it does that weird downshift when I stop at the garage gate. After it warms up it rarely does it. It doesn't bother me too much, but it does ruin the experience of an otherwise very smooth tranny.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikem33
I get these occasionally, even in D mode. It seems to be the 2-1 downshift. It's also worse when the engine is cold. Every time I leave my office it does that weird downshift when I stop at the garage gate. After it warms up it rarely does it. It doesn't bother me too much, but it does ruin the experience of an otherwise very smooth tranny.
Believe it or not, the trans does not shift into 1st until after it's come to a complete stop.

I enabled the gear indicator while in D or S, and the rough downshift is actually the 4-3 shift. I can easily repeat the downshift scenario, causing the rough 4-3 every time, but never 3-2, and as I said earlier the 2-1 downshift only occurs after coming to a complete stop in either D or S mode.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting.
How do you reproduce the rough downshift? I'd like to try the same on mine and see what it does. I'll pay closer attention to the gear downshift when I leave work today.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have experienced this as well. I am not sure it is cold however. It is only one time every now and then. So I decided not to worry about it. If you guys have a solution then I am all for it.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is also noticeable in stop/go traffic there was similar thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2829956

but I plan to report in 8k (kms) service but it is also there in D mode.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stoulana
It is also noticeable in stop/go traffic there was similar thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2829956

but I plan to report in 8k (kms) service but it is also there in D mode.
Forgot to paste TSB #,, the tsb number is 2030007/2 (it's a software update). Better to check with dealer about symptoms matching fix proposed by TSB.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah I've noticed as well and will put it on my next service to do list.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry for resurrecting an ancient thread, but I just picked up the car from dealership today, as I had similar issues.

They identified the TSB as 2030007/5. They did a clutch re-adaptation. Seems to run better now, if a bit stiff as the car is likely getting used to driving style.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by georgenyc
Sorry for resurrecting an ancient thread, but I just picked up the car from dealership today, as I had similar issues.

They identified the TSB as 2030007/5. They did a clutch re-adaptation. Seems to run better now, if a bit stiff as the car is likely getting used to driving style.
Even after the software updates, it is rough when

1. Going downhill and you let off the gas - the car can't decide whether you want to maintain speed or slow down. It will eventually downshift and it will be rough.

2. Going downhill in stop and go traffic, the car starts in D1, rolling forward without gas and try to shift into D2 and that will be rough too.

To avoid those moments, I use the padel shifter on those occasions.

Quick Reply: Rough Downshifts