Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

S-Tronic oil leak at the back

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Replacing the gear oil is certainly not on any Audi maintenance schedule. But plenty have done so, possibly this was preventative maintenance when the transmission was being highly stressed (very high output S6 modifications, way over the recommended torque ceiling, etc). Or perfectionists who argue (probably rightly) that there is no such thing as a lifetime fluid. I suspect changing the gear oil is a simpler process than the ATF, and there is no filter on the gear oil side. It is very rare to hear of gear set / drive shafts issues with the DL501, it is usually the Mechatronics side that has an issue. But I thought North American C7 A6/A7 with the 3.0TFSI were fitted with the ZF8HP - maybe this happened later in the model life?

Not sure if you are referring to the Sport differential, as they are the only ones I've used for the last decade or so. I have read anecdotally in forums that it is 100k miles, but I have never got close to that so don't know personally. I was never convinced the 100k miles figure was an actual Audi service requirement, though. As the centre diff uses the DL501's gear oil, and that is lifetime rated, I believe Audi also regard the rear differential oil as lifetime rated. Audi require only the ATF and lower filter in the front section of the DL501 to involve a service interval.
thanks! So sounds like the rear diff (for the rear wheels) and the center diff (torsen) doesnt need to be serviced (unlike the haldex unit which i recall is every 20k miles) and it doesnt sound like it CAN be serviced by DIYer

Yes the ZF8 speed transmission fluid was also suppose to be "lifetime" and I am one of those that doesnt believe transmission fluid should be "lifetime" so 100k it is.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Vodka G
thanks! So sounds like the rear diff (for the rear wheels) and the center diff (torsen) doesnt need to be serviced (unlike the haldex unit which i recall is every 20k miles) and it doesnt sound like it CAN be serviced by DIYer

Yes the ZF8 speed transmission fluid was also suppose to be "lifetime" and I am one of those that doesnt believe transmission fluid should be "lifetime" so 100k it is.
The situation with the centre diff was specific to the DL501 S tronic transmission, because they share the gear oil (which has a specific additive due to the diff requirements IIRC). Also, RS models will have a service interval requirement, presumably due to additional stresses rather than using different fluids. I've never looked at the lubrication system with the ZF8HP, and don't know if that differs.

The Sport differential (don't know about standard rear diff) doesn't look so hard to change if you feel the need. Also uses ATF and gear oil,. IIRC, on RS vehicles only the gear oil is changed as a service interval item, not the ATF (clutches aren't active that often). But with DIY, might as well do both. There will be different access challenges across different models (exhaust pipe layout, etc), but the hardware is basically the same. Excellent write up / video here:
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...r-differential