Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

S6 400mm brakes squeeling

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6 400mm brakes squeeling

Does anyone else have these brakes on their car and have problems with squeeling? I have an S6 with the 400mm brembo brakes

I bought the car with 12k km on it from Audi in Germany. I replaced the rotors and pads with OEM parts at 23k km because they wear squeeling like a steam engine on dealers recommendation (it was doing this since about 15k km) The rotors had maybe a 1mm edge on them, the pads were still around 70%. I'm now at 30k and the brakes are squeeling again. The rotors have weird black strips on them as if they are overheated.

My car is still under warranty until 2019 and my dealer (only one in the city) basically told me to live with it. Has anyone figured out a solution to this issue? It seems to me like I shouldn't have to replace the rotors and pads twice for every oil change I do. No one makes aftermarket rotors for the S6 yet..
Old 04-27-2017, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Tough question to answer for us NA residents - Brembo brakes are not available here.

I replaced my OEM S6 brake pads with some aftermarket ceramics, and have had no squeal (and virtually no dust) since. They don't bite as hard as the OEM pads, but the car still brakes well, and the lack of dust and squealing is a worthwhile tradeoff, in my opinion.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:44 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
Tough question to answer for us NA residents - Brembo brakes are not available here.

I replaced my OEM S6 brake pads with some aftermarket ceramics, and have had no squeal (and virtually no dust) since. They don't bite as hard as the OEM pads, but the car still brakes well, and the lack of dust and squealing is a worthwhile tradeoff, in my opinion.
The OEM S6 brakes are 400mm Brembo even in US.

To the OP... brake squeal can be caused by so many things. Something to check is when they replaced them did they reuse or replace the sticky vibration damper pads...they are quite pricey for sure but probably very necessary to help unwanted noises,
Old 04-27-2017, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Try bedding in the pads.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I took it to audi once again after complaining to their corporate headquarters for the country. I got charged $400 again and they replaced the vibration damper pads, some metal spring in the calipers ($120 for a little piece of metal...), cleaned everything, soaked the pads in some stuff that's supposed to make them less dusty and the service manager did the bed in procedure himself.

So far so good but the last time they cleaned it, it was fine for maybe 1000km and then started up again so we'll see in a few weeks. Honestly, if I hear even a mouse fart out of these brakes I'm trading this in and going back to BMWs. I've dropped a total of roughly $2400-2500 on my brakes squealing so far... even when I replaced the rotors and pads they were far from used up but audi clearly does not stand behind their products...
Old 05-01-2017, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gk1
The OEM S6 brakes are 400mm Brembo even in US...
Un-branded Brembos? Source for this information?
Old 05-01-2017, 06:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

On the 400mm front setup, if I recall correctly the calipers are brembo, the pads are texstar and the rotors were...I think also textar? I believe the calipers actually say brembo on them on the back, I don't remember.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 05-01-2017, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by cionide
On the 400mm front setup, if I recall correctly the calipers are brembo, the pads are texstar and the rotors were...I think also textar? I believe the calipers actually say brembo on them on the back, I don't remember.
Wasn't aware of that - thanks.

Regarding your squealing, I'd try a different pad (not OEM, not from the dealer) before giving up on the car. There are ceramic pads available from various vendors (Disc Italia and Akebono, among others) that will reduce or eliminate both the squealing and the dust.

I run semi-metallic pads that I bought from "Advance Auto Parts", a US auto parts chain, and they make ZERO noise and essentially zero dust. Huge improvement from OEM, IMO.

Last edited by ZCD2.7T; 05-01-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wasn't aware of that - thanks.

Regarding your squealing, I'd try a different pad (not OEM, not from the dealer) before giving up on the car. There are ceramic pads available from various vendors (Disc Italia and Akebono, among others) that will reduce or eliminate both the squealing and the dust.

I run semi-metallic pads that I bought from "Advance Auto Parts", a US auto parts chain, and they make ZERO noise and essentially zero dust. Huge improvement from OEM, IMO.
I dunno man, I've just spent so much money on some stupid squealing from what is essentially still a new car with symbolic mileage and over 2 years of warranty left... I don't want to risk dropping even more money for it to start squealing again in 1000km. Audi has really let me down, basically everything to them is "wear and tear" and they don't seem to be interested in actually doing *anything* under warranty.

I've been treated better by BMW in the past - and this is my first (and probably last) Audi.

Quick Reply: S6 400mm brakes squeeling